Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2001

bdwillard is on a distinguished road
Tanzer vs J-Boat

Hello,

I am doing some research on small sloops - approximately 22'' to 27'' - because I hope to purchase a used one within the next year.

I would appreciate it if anybody could offer their advice on the pro''s and con''s of Tanzers versus J-Boats in this size range.

I know that the J-22, for example, is designed for fast racing, but does not provide the cockpit and cabin space of something like a Catalina. It seems that Catalinas, while cozy and relatively inexpensive when purchased used, don''t perform as well; but I''ve been told that Tanzers are a good compromise between speed and comfort, at least once you replace the rudder. I''ve sailed Tanzers and I loved them, but I don''t know how they compare with similar designs.

Anyway, I would appreciate your opinions. If you prefer another designer, then please let me know about it.

Thank you!
Daniel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Tanzer vs J-Boat

There was recently a discussion on this issue, mainly revolving around a J24. I think the J''s are very nice boats esp. if you are going to race. But they may not be a comfortable daysailor. I think you should try sitting in the cockpit of a J22 and J24 to see if you would like the design of the cockpit. I have never sailed a Tanzer but have heard good things. Another boat to consider in this size range: Sonar 23. It has a very big cockpit. A friend of mine bought a older Ranger 26 which is a nice sailing boat but he is always complaining the cockpit is too small. I recently bought a Colgate 26 (www.colgate26.com) and use it primarily for daysailing. They have only been around for about 5 years though, so its hard to find a used one. New ones are resonably priced. It has a 13'' cockpit which is great for daysailing. It has a small cabin.
My advise is to look at a number of these boats, sit in them (go sailing in them if possible) and figure out what you are going to use the boat for. If it is primarily daysailing, then don''t get to excited about a big cabin.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 09-05-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tanzer vs J-Boat

The J-22 is a comparatively well rounded modern design that has great sailing characteristics. They are a real blast to sail and are the kind of boat that you can really build skills on.

The Tanzer is a very dated design. While they sail reasonably well, they are about two generations behind the J-22. The Tanzer is a comparatively simple boat and for a lot of people that is just fine. That said, in almost all ways the J-22 is a superior boat but is also quiet a bit more expensive.

I really love J-22''s. They are one of the few J''s that I really like a lot. The Tanzer 22''s are sort of middle of the road boats neither exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.

Good luck
Jeff