First sailboat, the search continues... - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

First sailboat, the search continues...

As the title suggests, I'm fairly new to sailing and I'm searching for my first boat. I sailed an enterprise 14' for many years so I do have a small amount of know how and sailing ability. I've looked at about 10 boats so far and they have all been kinda beat up and bordering on being money pits and projects. Those of you that have sailed several boats, please suggest some boats I should focus on...

The type of sailing I'd like to do is performance cruising. I live in Vancouver and I'll likely be in the straight, sunshine coast, San juans, gulf islands....maybe a circumnav of the island next year.

Boat budget 5 grand. Maybe more for the right boat. What I've looked at so far...

Catalina 27: I've looked at 2. Both under 5 but pretty beat. My first impression was that they're sterile and lack the nautical vibe I'm after.

Islander 26: almost 7 grand asking price, from what I've seen, it was worth 3500. (How do you nicely tell a guy nicely his boat kinda sucks for the price!!?) I liked it though, beamy, comfy, I could see myself in one of these.

Chris craft Pawnee: hilarious, like a toy.

San Juan 7.7: beautiful, I should have bought it. I can't believe how clean this boat was. Was priced right and everything was good in the world...I offered the seller 400 less than asking....the guy that looked at it an hour after I did bought it. I cried a small tear.

Hughes 27: looked like a girl with a huge booty. Tumble home design? Not for me. It seemed hulking and sluggish just sitting at the dock, extremely eager seller. I ran away.

In summary, I really liked the lines of the islander and the San Juan. I've heard the rounding up horror stories but figured I could just reduce a bit of sail and be OK.

Any comments and, or recommendations are much appreciated.

Cheers,
SL
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: First sailboat, the search continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovebolt View Post
San Juan 7.7: beautiful, I should have bought it. I can't believe how clean this boat was. Was priced right and everything was good in the world...I offered the seller 400 less than asking....the guy that looked at it an hour after I did bought it. I cried a small tear.
Live and learn. Next time you see a nice boat you really like, don't let a $400 price difference stand in your way. When the seller is happy, he may even throw in some extra gear, or at least some really good advice worth more than a few hundred bucks.
Looks like you know what you are looking for.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

^ yes... Being cheap, bad.
post #4 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

At that budget range, anything that has no structural issues, has an engine that runs well, and has decent sails is a bargain. If you find one like that, don't be afraid to pay a fair price for it.
post #5 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Too bad you lost out on the San Juan 7.7. How handy are you? How much work are you looking to put into it? You'll get the most bang for your buck by considering boats that are in need of at least some work -- whether done by you or a hired professional. The 'perfect' boat at any budget is going to be very different than a boat for the same money that needs a little love and sweat put into it. Every boat is a project boat, even at 10x your budget. Sounds like you know what you're looking for -- don't be too quick to walk away from what could be a diamond in the rough.

Cheers,
Chris
grnrngr likes this.

s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
post #6 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

So, I looked at another boat today. I can't post links yet but the listing on Vancouver BC Craigslist under "Beautiful Ericson Sloop".

This boat is nice, however, it is not a 29' Ericson, its a 1978 25+. Not sure why it's advertised like that but, the condition is decent. But $13,900?? That's about $11,500 USD. I'd say this boat is worth about 5000? 6000 maybe? Also, looking up the mast, it has a serious camber to it, pretty sure the mast on a 25+ is supposed to be straight. There was average tension on the rear stay, nothing to make it bow back like it is. The mast is also painted black. Weird.

Comments please.
post #7 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I've looked at about 10 boats so far and they have all been kinda beat up and bordering on being money pits and projects. Those of you that have sailed several boats, please suggest some boats I should focus on... The type of sailing I'd like to do is performance cruising. I live in Vancouver and I'll likely be in the straight, sunshine coast, San juans, gulf islands....maybe a circumnav of the island next year. Boat budget 5 grand. Maybe more for the right boat. What I've looked at so far... Catalina 27: I've looked at 2. Both under 5 but pretty beat. My first impression was that they're sterile and lack the nautical vibe I'm after.
Any boat is a money pit and a project. I think that is the very first thing you need to come to terms with. If I was going to spend 5 grand on a boat of that size range I would count on spending at least that much on it the first year.

Secondly, there is a direct correlation b/w how sterile vs nautical a boat's "vibe" and the amount of work it takes to maintain and repair. My boat is very much a plastic bottle. I like it that way because I enjoy using the boat more than I enjoy working on it.

I guess I am just suggesting you try to force yourself to be very, very realistic. I know it is very hard for me.

47*20'11.7" N
122*35'20.8" W
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
This boat is nice, however, it is not a 29' Ericson, its a 1978 25+. Not sure why it's advertised like that but, the condition is decent. But $13,900?? That's about $11,500 USD. I'd say this boat is worth about 5000? 6000 maybe? Also, looking up the mast, it has a serious camber to it, pretty sure the mast on a 25+ is supposed to be straight. There was average tension on the rear stay, nothing to make it bow back like it is. The mast is also painted black. Weird.

Comments please.
IMO the price will depend on the engine and overall condition. Diesel engine demands a premium. The mast is a head scratcher. I would like it to be very straight when not under load.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 14 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

A lucky turn of events has landed me a second opportunity to make an offer on the San Juan. So, I bought it. I've owned it for a week so far and my first impressions are, it's fast, feels solid and will sail almost directly into the wind. It's great! I single handed today in about 10 or 12 knots and it was pretty easy, all lines come into the cockpit and the genoa is on a roller furling. Docking it is sketchy due to multiple expensive boats, a tight slip and weird currents from the ferry dock... but if I can dock it here I can dock it anywhere.
Slayer likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 2 Days Ago

Thanks for the update. Good luck with her!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.