92 Catalina Capri 14.2ft / 79 O'Day Widgeon 12ft - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2015 Thread Starter

92 Catalina Capri 14.2ft / 79 O'Day Widgeon 12ft

This weekend I hope to look at a couple sailboats. Does anyone have experience with either of these models? From my research they're pretty similar.

92 Catalina Capri 14.2ft
$975
30 lb trust electric motor and battery
trailer
sail in good shape...

79 O'Day Widgeon 12ft
$900
sails 'like new'
trailer with new tires, rims, and lights.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2015

Re: 92 Catalina Capri 14.2ft / 79 O'Day Widgeon 12ft

I have a capri and i found it to be a great boat, sadly mine had been abused prior to me and ended up with a waterlogged foam core which lead to the hull separating from the foam inside. It has been in the garage ever since, im in the process of cutting the deck out to repair it and beef it up But i would buy another one for sure.

I prefer the newer design on the Catalina, parts are readily available for them as well, mine even has a furling jib on the front.

let me know if your have any more questions on the capri. For that price i would go for it i paid 1400 for mine and it was in poor shape.

Last edited by Stuart Macdonald; 08-18-2015 at 09:59 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2015
Owner 4knot sb.

I had the 14.2, and it was a stellar starter boat. I liked it in that it had all the larger go fast toys, except a traveler. I found myself wishing it had one the whole time I owned it... but honestly very few boats that size ever do!

Trick with the 14.2 was to sail it as flat as possible, and lock the block on the line traveler in place by using a loop. If you do that, then the sheet becomes a vang/sheet, and helps get sail shape better without letting the whole shebang drop to leeward.

With one person the 14.2 will plane in anything above 12 knots, hang on tight though, cause you'll be hiking a lot upwind!

The widgeon is more a dry boat, and overall a lighter package, the physical size of it makes it easier to move around and rig. The fact that many were raced is a testimony to how many were made. Not a bad boat, but still a boat out of production.

The Capri 14.2 I think is still an active design (boats still being sold), and parts are still readily available from Catalinadirect.

By the way, prices seem VERY reasonable. I sold my 1986 Capri 14.2 7 years ago for $850, boat motor and trailer, and it was about half of what it was really worth (needed $$ to pay a divorce lawyer)... I purchased mine in 2000 for $2400, boat and trailer.

Bang on the mast step to make sure it's not mushy... if its OK, and the supports in the cuddy are non-rotted, then you likely have a winner.

My crusty old 14.2

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 08-18-2015 at 04:05 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2015 Thread Starter

Hi Stuart. Thanks. How do you tell if the soap is waterlogged?

SHNOOL, thanks for answering a question I was about to ask -- how the Catalina does in the wind. I've only sailed two boats, both with big fixed keels.

How dry do you stay in the Catalina? I'll do most of my sailing on lake Eire and the Detroit river. The summer is warm, but there's a lot of sailing season left that will be pretty chilly on a sailboat, so I'd like to stay dry.

I'll be sure to check the mast step and supports.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2015
Owner 4knot sb.

I only dumped my Capri 14.2 a couple times, and it was mostly intentional The boat is NOT a dry boat, so I'd say 60 degree water is your limit. Otherwise it's wetsuit time. Just my take.

Once you've sailed the boat a bit, you'll get a handle on her limits... I recall being able to stand the boat on its side, and scramble up onto the side of the boat, and could sit there most of the day, in a chop likely not.

The widgeon isn't gonna be much better as things get colder... so that really shouldn't be a deciding factor (IMHO).

The Capri 14.2 will point upwind OK, if you lock that rope traveler down... it won't point like a keelboat, but you can definitely get it upwind against other boats its size... The rounder bottom won't have the rigid stability of something like a holder 14, but will be more even handed as the winds heel you over (round bottom, not hard chine).. The centerboard arrangement in the Capri 14.2 is good too, it kicks up when you ground (if)... where others are daggerboards, and are pretty unforgiving. Keeping the bungees elasticity is key, because it'll help pull the board down, as you release the cleats.

The cuddy isn't waterproof in these, and you can overweight the boat if you fill the cockpit... making it hard to flip back again. I created a lockable hatch for mine, later models (including the one you are looking at I think), had this as standard.

There used to be a Capri 14.2 association, and I am not so sure it still is kicking around (it got gobbled up with several other associations, I think one of them was the sunfish)... anyway there were lots of answers to questions in that forum... But its a pretty simple boat, that goes fast easily, points well, and is still pretty forgiving. It's NOT dry, and it's still NOT a keelboat, so you can and WILL capsize it. The trolling motor is a perfect addition to the boat, to get you out and started, and back at the end of the day.. it won't do much when the breeze is up above 12, but then you SHOULD be sailing in those conditions.

I can't recall anything else as big deals on them. I'd say if I had purchased the keel version of the same boat (and yes they make them as trainers), I'd likely have kept mine, and even still be sailing it.

An equivalent boat is the Precision 15, and 15k... also great little trailerables, that are still made.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.