Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006

Willsail is on a distinguished road
Information on SKYE 51 sailboats

Am interested in findind out about Skye 51 sailboats.
Specifically, where they were manufactured, overall quality, and any other thoughts members might have.
Am looking for a 3 cabin offshore boat, in the 47 to 55 foot range.
Presently impressed with the Hylas, Tayana, Bristol manufactured boats.
Willsail
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2008

grregg is on a distinguished road
I sailed on one for a few days.....

In January '92, when I bought my boat in Miami, I sailed on "Oasis" with the owner Jerry, and another friend Jurgen Heil, from Germany. It was a nice boat, sailed great, with a lot of good gear for the time, weather fax, radar, SSB (short band radio of some kind). It was a real treat to sail on a boat like that, since it wasn't a great boat for paid chartering, with no big forward cabin etc, or I'd have never had the opportunity to sail on one. It was just a spur of the moment trip.
Jerry said, "What are we doing sitting around here ? Lets go to the Bahamas !" It was a blast sailing across the Gulf Stream, on the way to the Berry Islands. It was a pretty fast trip since Jurgen had to be back in about 4 or 5 days to fly back to Germany.
I was impressed with the boat, it had electric winches, and racing gear, spinaker etc.... not the usual cruising stuff. I loved the wide open deck, and performance too. It drew a bit of water, we dragged it in the sand a few times, but it had the power to go through the sand easily, it wasnt any problem at all getting free. I think it drew about 6 or 7 feet.
Old 08-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doubt he much cares, given that his post is over two years old. Please check dates on posts before replying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grregg View Post
In January '92, when I bought my boat in Miami, I sailed on "Oasis" with the owner Jerry, and another friend Jurgen Heil, from Germany. It was a nice boat, sailed great, with a lot of good gear for the time, weather fax, radar, SSB (short band radio of some kind). It was a real treat to sail on a boat like that, since it wasn't a great boat for paid chartering, with no big forward cabin etc, or I'd have never had the opportunity to sail on one. It was just a spur of the moment trip.
Jerry said, "What are we doing sitting around here ? Lets go to the Bahamas !" It was a blast sailing across the Gulf Stream, on the way to the Berry Islands. It was a pretty fast trip since Jurgen had to be back in about 4 or 5 days to fly back to Germany.
I was impressed with the boat, it had electric winches, and racing gear, spinaker etc.... not the usual cruising stuff. I loved the wide open deck, and performance too. It drew a bit of water, we dragged it in the sand a few times, but it had the power to go through the sand easily, it wasnt any problem at all getting free. I think it drew about 6 or 7 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-15-2008

YachtMate is on a distinguished road
Hi Gregg,

He may no longer care, but i was pleased to see your post. It is probably the same Oasis that i sailed in 2007 from to Austrailia, and i liked the boat so much i bought one. If anyone is interested in the boats see

skye51.com

Cheers

Dan

YachtMate.co.uk
Old 11-26-2008
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
yachtmate, i own a 1982 Skye 51 and had not seen the skye51.com website. thanks for the tip.