Is this a good boat for price 1976 Albin 26 ft. for $250 bucks - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Is this a good boat for price 1976 Albin 26 ft. for $250 bucks

Hi All,
I won an auction for charity boat
1976 Albin 26 footer. You can check add on ebay, its closed for $260. I cant post images yet or links because I am new here..
Is this good for the price? What's it worth? I live in Puerto Rico and need to get her here. Maybe I can sell it on Craigslist for 1000 bucks and make some cash? HAHA
Thanks for advice

Last edited by Timothy Freyer; 1 Week Ago at 06:52 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Is this a good boat for price 1976 Albin 26 ft. for $250 bucks

Generally when boats sell for that cheap they are not a bargain. But I haven't seen any pics so I guess I shouldn't rush to judge.

always in decline-never hitting bottom
post #3 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago

You must be joking. Slow day in PR ? a Few too many rum and cokes? If it's this boat 1976 Albin 26' Sailboat Massachusetts | eBay

It looks like you also won the right to cough up another $299.00 for Document handling fee. ( whatever that means).

Take two asparin, call me in the morning.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #4 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

This is a DONOR boat, you can get them REALLY cheap from Auctions such as I did. Not all are good scores, but for $250 bucks I know I could sell her for whats included and make my money back. Here is the negatives according to Boat Donor.
The 5hp volvo engine does run, only needs a throttle cable.
Donor states*, the upholstery is faded. The boat sleeps 5 people. Boat recently broke free from mooring and ended up under a ramp. There was damage to the topside gelcoat, stern rail and bowsprit. Tears in the main sail.

It includes a ton of stuff and looks to be in fair condition minus the fiberglass work I will have to do topside..

Compass, VHF Radio, Toilet, Galley Sink, Anchor, Bumpers, Bilge Pump, Cushions, Dock Lines, Fenders, Fire Extinguisher, Life Jackets, Rope, Swim Ladder, Genoa, Jib, Main Sail, Spinnaker, Storm Jib, Top Sail, Backstay, Boat Hook, Boom, Boom Vang, Bowspfit, Cleats, Deck Brush, Forestay, Halyards, Mast, Main Sail Cover, Navigation Lights, Oars, Rudder, Reefing Lines, Sail Bags, Sail Covers, Spinnaker Pole, Spreaders, Stays, Tiller, Whisker Pole, Winch Handles.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150725_151749093.jpg   IMG_20150725_143921104.jpg  
post #5 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

No way, this company has GREAT reviews, not a scam at all! I researched them thoroughly.. I thought same thing, but their 10 yr old Boat and Car charity donation is very simple. They get boats and cars people dont want or have time to sell, they get a tax write off, the buyer gets cheap stuff , the charity gets cash for their charity...(Pockets). I checked them out before bidding and they have tons of good reviews on Ebay..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150725_141935317.jpg   best.jpg  
post #6 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago

So you are in PR and the boat is in Ma ? Winning bid was $260. Plus $299. document handling fee. = $559.00. Are they going to store it for for you free? That's an expensive deck brush. Good luck with it.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #7 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago

Congratulations

"Just call me TB"
post #8 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago

Tim, Your post above is what makes your questions kind of unansweable with any degree of certainty. The $260 purchase in your 1st post in now up to $2,000. Before repairs are even made. If you're making the repairs, does that mean you'll be flying up from PR to accomplish that? (airline tix.) Or are you fixing it in PR. The logistics of this would be much too complicated for me to want to get involved with and the ultimate cost to get a seaworthy vessel out of it is unknown.

If you're going to fix it up in Boston and try to sell it up there, that would be a different consideration and it might be worth some effort.

It wasn't clear from your 1st post whether you want a boat you can sail in PR. Or you're just trying to turn it around and make a few bucks.
Which is it ?

PS...it looks like you deleted the post that had your shipping costs?

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ

Last edited by Tempest; 1 Week Ago at 08:29 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Hi tempest,
I deleted my post because I re-read it and I don't feel it came across the way I meant it to. Thanks so much for your reply. I think what happened is I low bid on the boat drunk on Sunday, then today I woke up and my first words like Eddie Murphy on the First Black President "You mean I won?!" Now I didn't pay and probably won't yet, because I wanted to come here and see if I got a deal. Yes, if the boat was within the general area of me, it would be a great deal, even to just leave it anchored and hope it's there to sit on next time I wan't to hang out on it. But like you said, logistically it will be a nightmare. However, I am a freight broker, so I do logistics daily hehe. Was thinking to buy it, move it to friends house and sell as is for a small profit. The reason I say that, Nada value and similar boat values in bad condition is around $7500.. this boat needs some cosmetic work but who knows what is underneath. Interior looks decent. I think I am answering my own question here, I know deep down I will only be buying a headache even if there is profit to be made. Do you think I can pay someone to sail her down here instead? Argh, why do I live so far, my first boat, for that price..that is what I am hung up on! Thanks again everyone
post #10 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago

It is a great boat for that price. Awesome design and looks like great condition based on the pictures you posted. Congratulations!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.