Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Livia...congrats on getting a nice, strongly built boat! Enjoy her!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Livia-

Congratulations... I hope you got a survey on the boat.
Definitely - do people actually buy boats (of this size and expense) without one? Wow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
Old 01-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
Definitely - do people actually buy boats (of this size and expense) without one? Wow!
Unfortunately, it seems more common than I'd like to believe.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
yeah yeah yeah.....congrats on the boat..

Your signature is very uggly!!! Sounds wierd...can you write in english so I can understand it??
Old 01-23-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Teak decks

While I am shopping for a boat, and I see one that I would like to investigate further... is there a way for me to determine a 'traditional' deck, from a 'glued' or 'mechanically fastened' one without getting a surveyor involved? It just might be a deal breaker for me, and I would like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible before I hire a surveyor. I mean, I might walk away from a mechanically fastened one before even thinking of the surveyor step.
Old 01-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unless the teak deck was recently done or the boat is extremely new, it is most likely a mechanically fastened teak deck... which can cause serious water intrusion problems... One easy way to tell if it is a mechanically fastened deck is to look for the bungs covering all the screws... A glued deck won't have bungs, a screwed down deck will.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Unless the teak deck was recently done or the boat is extremely new, it is most likely a mechanically fastened teak deck... which can cause serious water intrusion problems... One easy way to tell if it is a mechanically fastened deck is to look for the bungs covering all the screws... A glued deck won't have bungs, a screwed down deck will.
Not exactly right, (I am really sorry to disagree with you), but it depends on the construction method.

Mine is screwed onto fiberglass deck with screws that have the cover as you mention, and is also glued with special whatever I don't know the name.
The screws were filled with sealant before tighteneing, and DO NOT protrude on the other side (interior) of my FG deck.

Old 01-23-2007
Telstar 28

Giulietta-

It doesn't matter if you used sealant or that the teak is also glued down as well as screwed down... the screws pass through the top layer of fiberglass into the core, if your barge has a cored deck, and that is where the risk of water intrusion starts. Any holes that pass through the laminate into the core and are not potted with epoxy can allow water to enter the core and cause the core to delaminate.

On your barge, it may not happen since you hope they did the job properly and used sealant on every screw...but if they missed any...you're going to have a problem later on. I notice that the guys who did the work on your boat didn't bother trying to align the grain of the bungs with that of the deck to make them less noticeable... You obviously went the cheap route.

I doubt that IPWannabe is looking at brand new, custom-built boats for some reason.

BTW, IPWannabee...take a look at Giulietta's photos for what the bungs will look like, as he has a mechanically fastened teak deck. The second photo is the clearest as to what you will be looking for. If the deck is finished in any way, it may be harder to spot than it is in Giulietta's photo.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-23-2007

Quote:
Giulietta-

It doesn't matter if you used sealant or that the teak is also glued down as well as screwed down... the screws pass through the top layer of fiberglass into the core, if your barge has a cored deck, and that is where the risk of water intrusion starts. Any holes that pass through the laminate into the core and are not potted with epoxy can allow water to enter the core and cause the core to delaminate.

On your barge, it may not happen since you hope they did the job properly and used sealant on every screw...but if they missed any...you're going to have a problem later on. I notice that the guys who did the work on your boat didn't bother trying to align the grain of the bungs with that of the deck to make them less noticeable... You obviously went the cheap route.

I doubt that IPWannabe is looking at brand new, custom-built boats for some reason.

BTW, IPWannabee...take a look at Giulietta's photos for what the bungs will look like, as he has a mechanically fastened teak deck. The second photo is the clearest as to what you will be looking for. If the deck is finished in any way, it may be harder to spot than it is in Giulietta's photo.
SD my screws didn't go into the core, wich is divinycell and not wood, but I see your point. my outer FG lawyer is 4 mmthick.

Yes I would be concerned otherwise. He did a good job.

Maybe you want to re-phrase that barge thing, she made 17kts yesterday for at least 4 minutes, water speed not GPS.

Can you do that in your anorexic toothpick?? and point at 20ş, eheheheheeh

As far as aligning the grain, I specified that they were not...makes it sexy!!!

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-23-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
No, looking for used... definitely!

NO. The IPWannabee is more tongue in cheek than anything. (Perhaps I should change my Username) I actually prefer a more classical look, and am especially enamored with:

Tayana 52, (1990’s) Aft Cockpit, Cutter rigged, teak decks, black hull!
Cabo Rico Cutter 42 and up!
Formosa…51 ya, I know it’s a project boat but they are beautiful!
Vagabond 47

With the exception of the Tayana, I seam to gravitate to the Ketch rigs... something about a bow sprit makes my heart sing!