Peterson 46 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Peterson 46

We are currently looking at this boat.

Used Peterson 46 Cutter for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

It is a Peterson 46. I am familiar with their reputation as a good value, well performing offshore boat but I am concerned that all but the most well kept examples are starting to get tired.

I will check the teak decks and also water tanks(apparently a known area of concern), beyond this what else should I be concerned about here?

How reliable are the the Ford Lehman engines? Am I wrong in figuring on re engining this boat?

Also happy for any and all general advice.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-05-2015

Re: Peterson 46

No Engine hours mentioned. Ford Lehman a very good marine diesel. At that price a good deal, but then what does it take to make it right.

Think you may have looked at Circe listed by BSS in langkawi. a lot more money, but very well taken care of.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
No Engine hours mentioned. Ford Lehman a very good marine diesel. At that price a good deal, but then what does it take to make it right.

Think you may have looked at Circe listed by BSS in langkawi. a lot more money, but very well taken care of.....
Yep....I think we would be definitely taking a look at Circe as well before we commit to anything...on the web it looks like a good boat for sure. Priority one is selling our current boat.

We had moved away from Peterson 44/46's but this one came across our radar simply because it is close by and again I am finding a lot to like.

It would be cheaper to buy in Langkawi and work on a boat up there than here. Highway robbery in Sydney and increasingly difficult to work on your own boat if you want to.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-05-2015

Can't advise about the boat but did have a ford lehman back in the 90s in a S.H.E. 36.
Getting parts was torturous. One supplier on North Shore. Your supply chain is different and probably better than in U.S.. Actually working on engine was not bad. Did have to replace two injectors and high pressure pump but then ran fine. Was a bit hot if run a long time but probably due to heat exchanger not engine.
Maybe part supply better now and you probably have a bigger engine but hope that helps.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 09-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Thanks Out.

In a thread on CF someone based here in Australia has expressed similar frustrations in getting parts here.

So not sure..

post #6 of 9 Old 09-05-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

The listing also does not indicate the size of the winches. One question I would have is whether I would want to sail the boat as a cutter or with a genoa. If the latter are the winches up to the challenge with the crew you have. I love the look of teak decks but they scare the crap out of me unless they have been replaced with the new glue on type. I have heard of similar problems with parts for the engine. We have a Westerbeke and the parts are often ridiculously expensive, but they are available. I just checked the value of the Aussie buck - ouch! It does make boats in US dollars pricey. When we were in Oz not that many years ago the Aussie dollar was above the US and Canadian,now it is bit less than the Canadian and way below the US.

Finishing our major refit. Our trip to Newfoundland is off because it is too late. Hoping to go to the North Channel instead.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Have to admit that the teak decks worry me on a boat that old. Thickness is probably the best check and whether or not there is any sign of leaks below deck. While our girl does have teak decks I'd not specifically choose them. Look good when in good condition, look horrid when in bad. To be honest they are hot under foot though they do seem to help with insulation. Some years back we considered buying an older boat with teak decks but the cost and/or time and hard work involved in removing the old teak was outrageous. I must admit that I'm also no great fan of teak down below. That said the KP44/46 has a great reputation. Jeff_H is a great fan of them, I remember him once saying that for a world cruiser they would be right up the top of his list. Fabulous looking boats and apparently pretty rapid given their age and type.

Price certainly looks good. Engine parts I cannot comment on other than that there are a lot of oldish Grand Banks cruisers in Oz and from memory they have Lehmans ... or did have when new .... so maybe parts not so much of a problem.

One other thought, that is a big boat. Yes, I know there are now four of you but even so keep in mind the upkeep. Since moving from 34 to 42' I am gobsmacked by the extra dollars we now spend on run of the mill maintenance and the costs of upgrading hardware. I'd like to increase e.g. the size of our primary sheet winches but the cost gives me the heeby jeebies. Not to mention what new standing rigging is going to cost when that becomes necessary.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
The listing also does not indicate the size of the winches. One question I would have is whether I would want to sail the boat as a cutter or with a genoa. If the latter are the winches up to the challenge with the crew you have. I love the look of teak decks but they scare the crap out of me unless they have been replaced with the new glue on type. I have heard of similar problems with parts for the engine. We have a Westerbeke and the parts are often ridiculously expensive, but they are available. I just checked the value of the Aussie buck - ouch! It does make boats in US dollars pricey. When we were in Oz not that many years ago the Aussie dollar was above the US and Canadian,now it is bit less than the Canadian and way below the US.
Thanks Killarney.....

Yes the poor little Aussie dollar.

It is also down significantly on the Euro. Which has impacted our boat shopping a great deal unfortunately.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Have to admit that the teak decks worry me on a boat that old. Thickness is probably the best check and whether or not there is any sign of leaks below deck. While our girl does have teak decks I'd not specifically choose them. Look good when in good condition, look horrid when in bad. To be honest they are hot under foot though they do seem to help with insulation. Some years back we considered buying an older boat with teak decks but the cost and/or time and hard work involved in removing the old teak was outrageous. I must admit that I'm also no great fan of teak down below. That said the KP44/46 has a great reputation. Jeff_H is a great fan of them, I remember him once saying that for a world cruiser they would be right up the top of his list. Fabulous looking boats and apparently pretty rapid given their age and type.

Price certainly looks good. Engine parts I cannot comment on other than that there are a lot of oldish Grand Banks cruisers in Oz and from memory they have Lehmans ... or did have when new .... so maybe parts not so much of a problem.
Thanks TD.

I have come across Jeff_H's write ups on them here in the past.
Have also spoken with an ex owner of a KP46 who had a lot of good things to say. The teak worries me. I find enough maintenance tasks on a boat without going looking for new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
One other thought, that is a big boat. Yes, I know there are now four of you but even so keep in mind the upkeep. Since moving from 34 to 42' I am gobsmacked by the extra dollars we now spend on run of the mill maintenance and the costs of upgrading hardware. I'd like to increase e.g. the size of our primary sheet winches but the cost gives me the heeby jeebies. Not to mention what new standing rigging is going to cost when that becomes necessary.
I am very conscious of this.

I am also concerned about the practicalities of single handing such a large boat.

If I could just find a 40 footer that fit our tribe I would stop there, but we seem to be looking at bigger and bigger boats.

I wish we could just make it work on our Martzcraft but I don't think we can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.