SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   which make is best? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/2181-make-best.html)

RobGallagher 09-09-2001 10:04 PM

which make is best?

Its not a fair question, but I''m asking it anyway. I''m looking to purchase a boat in the 30ft range that will be used for coastal cruising to Florida and weekends in Long Island Sound/Narragansett Bay. I want a boat I can take down the coast to Florida. I have about 20K to spend.

I''m currently looking at a 79 O''day 30 (I love the cabin space and shower) and a 80 C&C 29 (much tighter quarters down below).

I have all winter to shop, so I plan on looking at alot of boats before making a purchase.

Any thoughts????????????

Thanks!

mattf 09-10-2001 08:56 AM

which make is best?

Look at a Cal 2-30 or a Cal 31.

RobHoman 09-10-2001 02:45 PM

which make is best?

Look at Morgan Out Islanders if you want extra space and a wider beam.

halyardz 09-18-2001 12:23 AM

which make is best?

First, Odays are OK for daysailing
and some coastal applications...not blue water boats. As another poster suggested, widen your search to other boats. If you are going to cruise FL you''ll be limited with a deep draft boat. What''s your budget, 20K? I
suggest you boost that to at least 30+, borrow if necessary.

I went over many of the same issues and decided to focus on 3-5 builders...the best choice for me was a Tartan 33, which we purchased. Ericson, Cal, and several others
are good basic choices. The trade offs in a pocket cruiser versus something in the 32+ range are significant.

falconxp 02-04-2011 11:01 PM

Look at condition Cracks and rust showing thur keep bolts and standing rigging
Condition
Price
Space
In the above order
Think lucky
Have seen boats up to 36 ft in excellent condition for under 20k
I like a good inboard but a 18 hp outboard will push a 36 ft boat around the harbor.
do you want to impress a girl or sail.
Many people have used a 10/14 ft dinghy with a 5 hp on it for getting around the harbor
the 50 hp on my 44 ft cat died 5 minuets into a two day trip.
Grabed my 2 hp Seagul and put it on the transom.
rigged up the sail from a 14 ft lido and sailed 20 miles down the coast.
stoped and anchored for 4 hours for the wind and tide to shift and went put put to my ancorage.
Not reccommended proceedures for the novis but people who know wahat they are doing and are not in a hurry just go for it and have fun.
Also c aptained a 45 ft ultralight race boat with a crew of 17 in Japan with all the bells and whistles including catered meals and hot showers
both are fun 20K or 500K it is who you are with that counts
I have even found myself good company at times although being second captain and "go for" on a beautiful boat called the Dove out of San Diego was exciting also.
If you know of Judy who owned Dove tell her Hi!!
Capt bob 30 years ago = remember the Ensanada race.
Nothing wrong with arriving on the nicest looking boat with the pretiest eligible woman on your arm.

sailingdog 02-05-2011 05:30 PM

FalconXP—

Doubt anyone in this thread much cares, as all the posts you're replying to are TEN YEARS OLD.

capttb 02-05-2011 06:14 PM

But Dog, They are probably only asking $2,500 OBO for that '79 O'Day now. Can you tell I'm bored waiting for the varnish to dry on the companionway steps?

sailingdog 02-05-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capttb (Post 694820)
But Dog, They are probably only asking $2,500 OBO for that '79 O'Day now. Can you tell I'm bored waiting for the varnish to dry on the companionway steps?

Me thinks the fumes are getting to you. Are you using a moisture curing varnish and sniffing the fumes?

capttb 02-05-2011 07:55 PM

I have advanced to using a foam brush and synthetic steel wool (plastic steel wool? is that an oxymoron?) but I'm still using Helmsman oil based spar urethane. Which does produce some pretty heady fumes now that you mention it. I did use some glue that required moisture to cure to fix some spots, pretty interesting stuff.