Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, USA
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
I think I might be in trouble
So I currently own a Macgregor 26x, it's a great little boat which does a little of everything and has suited me and my boys just fine....except my wife doesn't like the cramped quarters, the heeling and the decidedly spartan amenities.
Even though I love my boat, I knew that one day I wanted to move up to something else and had always dreamed of a Cat.
Last week, an Endeavourcat 30' come up for sale in our area, and we went to go look at it....and my family fell in love with the idea and experience of a cruising cat.
"Honey, look at the room and the big secured cockpit for our 2 year old...and it doesn't rock!"
"Daddy, it's easy to jump off and climb back on when swimming" (Molded in-step transoms)
and me "Wow, self tacking jib and all lines to cockpit! I don't have to do the bungee scramble" (Bungee scramble is bungee-my wheel so I can quickly go up top to raise/lower the main)
I also liked how sturdy and strongly built it was.
Although I don't think we're ready to take the plunge right now (My work schedule has me travelling a LOT, I barely get time to enjoy what I have right now) I think it will come sooner than I had previously thought (At least that what my wife says)
I need some suggestions of similar boats to this. I've been searching online, but figured you guys might know more.
Here is what I want and the reasons why.
1) This will NOT be a live aboard. That possibility will probably not even happen for another 20 years.
2) I live with access to the ocean, ICW and the Cape Fear River. I plan to use this boat for day trips, overnights and a once or twice annual pilgrimage (either coastal or ICW) to the Outer Banks or Charleston
3) About 30' long, I don't want to go too much longer because more boat = more maintenance, hassle, dock fees.
4) I like the narrow beam CATs (<15') because I can keep my current slip (35 x 15)
5) Cockpit setup, I prefer the Center mounted pedestal on Endeavour over the side ones on the Genimi's/PDQ's etc. (but I'm not married too it)
5) I'd prefer dagger boards to help it sail to windward and to pull up to allow for skinny water. (In my Mac, I like to anchor in places to be alone)
6) I'd honestly prefer not having an inboard because I have more experience with OB's and like not having components just sitting in the water
7) I'd put something here for cabin layout, but it seems most cats are about the same
8) Price.... I'd like to keep it below 80k, closer to 50k if possible in decent condition.
So if I like the 30' Endeavourcat, are there other models besides Gemini's/Prout/PDQ's I can look at?