I think I might be in trouble - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2015 Thread Starter

I think I might be in trouble

So I currently own a Macgregor 26x, it's a great little boat which does a little of everything and has suited me and my boys just fine....except my wife doesn't like the cramped quarters, the heeling and the decidedly spartan amenities.

Even though I love my boat, I knew that one day I wanted to move up to something else and had always dreamed of a Cat.

Last week, an Endeavourcat 30' come up for sale in our area, and we went to go look at it....and my family fell in love with the idea and experience of a cruising cat.

"Honey, look at the room and the big secured cockpit for our 2 year old...and it doesn't rock!"

"Daddy, it's easy to jump off and climb back on when swimming" (Molded in-step transoms)

and me "Wow, self tacking jib and all lines to cockpit! I don't have to do the bungee scramble" (Bungee scramble is bungee-my wheel so I can quickly go up top to raise/lower the main)

I also liked how sturdy and strongly built it was.

Although I don't think we're ready to take the plunge right now (My work schedule has me travelling a LOT, I barely get time to enjoy what I have right now) I think it will come sooner than I had previously thought (At least that what my wife says)

I need some suggestions of similar boats to this. I've been searching online, but figured you guys might know more.

Here is what I want and the reasons why.

1) This will NOT be a live aboard. That possibility will probably not even happen for another 20 years.
2) I live with access to the ocean, ICW and the Cape Fear River. I plan to use this boat for day trips, overnights and a once or twice annual pilgrimage (either coastal or ICW) to the Outer Banks or Charleston
3) About 30' long, I don't want to go too much longer because more boat = more maintenance, hassle, dock fees.
4) I like the narrow beam CATs (<15') because I can keep my current slip (35 x 15)
5) Cockpit setup, I prefer the Center mounted pedestal on Endeavour over the side ones on the Genimi's/PDQ's etc. (but I'm not married too it)
5) I'd prefer dagger boards to help it sail to windward and to pull up to allow for skinny water. (In my Mac, I like to anchor in places to be alone)
6) I'd honestly prefer not having an inboard because I have more experience with OB's and like not having components just sitting in the water
7) I'd put something here for cabin layout, but it seems most cats are about the same
8) Price.... I'd like to keep it below 80k, closer to 50k if possible in decent condition.

So if I like the 30' Endeavourcat, are there other models besides Gemini's/Prout/PDQ's I can look at?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: I think I might be in trouble

Well if you don't trailer your boat, and don't need the extra speed of the big outboard on the Mac, then it is a no brainier. That is the only real advantage and if you keep the boat in a slip and mostly sail then I say go for it. You will enjoy the better sailing performance but might miss the ability to get somewhere quickly. Small cats don't come up for sale often so you may not want to ponder it too long. They seem to sell really quickly, same for the Mac if it is in good shape.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2015
Owner 4knot sb.

Miatapaul I don't think he was looking for permission to ditch his Mac26x, more for recommendations of boats similar to the Endeavorcat 30.
SENCMac26x likes this.

***Boatless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
**** Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Miatapaul I don't think he was looking for permission to ditch his Mac26x, more for recommendations of boats similar to the Endeavorcat 30.
Exactly, I love my 26x and it's a been a great boat. (So no Mac Bashing please) I plan to use it fully for the next 1-3 years until we make this move up.

I'm just looking for a range of similar boats to consider and any personal anecdotes with them.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2015

Dock
I think the most important thing is to have your wife integral to the decision making. Indeed I would leave ALL the decisions to her. Then she will be more likely to enjoy the boat.
So take her to view boats with you. Don't just go looking yourself and then show her the short list. Understand what she wants and find that.
Also, when sailing with her KEEP THE BOAT FLAT! It doesn't matter how many reefs you have in, or how slow you go just sail for HER.
Then when she has fallen in love with sailing and the boat let HER crank it up.

Good luck. Women (I wouldn't know, I'm single) are like river trout... they eat flies. But only when cast by cunning people
miatapaul and SENCMac26x like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2015
Old enough to know better

Well in that case I would add Catalac and Iroquois as they have smaller models that are quite well built and fit in standard slips. Fitting in a standard slip is the hard part. Macgregor makes a Catamaran but it is not a cruising cat, at least it does not have much in the way of cabin space. I have only seen one, and not close up, but they sure look fun! Like a giant beach cat. There are several models of the Gemini/Performance Cruising and they range widely in price but all seem to preform well. There seemed to be a continual improvement in quality. That is what kills it for me on Catamarans is the price. And I think I would try to charter one someplace where you might see some somewhat rough water as the movement on them is very different and some don't like it at all. (more of a quicker snap)

I was not bashing on the Mac, but more that if you don't "need" the big motor, or towing ability you are likely better served by other boats as the sailing abilities are compromised fairly strongly to get the big outboard. They are great at what they can do but there are compromises.
SHNOOL and SENCMac26x like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2015

This is what you're looking for, a Maine Cat 30

Andy & Julie Nemier ∞

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-24-2015

Look at the Prout, Tiki, Iriquois, Hirondell, and Heavenly Twin brands to start. I really like the E-cat though.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-24-2015
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
This is what you're looking for, a Maine Cat 30
Now I want one too SWEET.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-24-2015

What about one of the various folding trimarans? Even the big ones fit in a standard slip.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.