SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   buying advice for 50+Ft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/2189-buying-advice-50-ft.html)

smallboatsailor 09-10-2001 07:37 PM

buying advice for 50+Ft

Hello I looking to buy a 50+ft range boat for a live a board/ocean cruser . I want to sail across ocean.What makers are good .This boat will have to be abled to sail by me only.O and it haves to be nice looking.thanks

audbydez 09-12-2001 06:39 PM

buying advice for 50+Ft

Dear Smallboatsailor

There are a lot of good live aboard ocean cruisers and some very good coastal cruising boats can be retrofit to cross oceans and sail single handed.

Most late model boats look good and have spacious interiors and storage.

But I probably have more questions than answers at this time:

1 - your name is smallboatsailor - have you had much experience with 50+ foot boats. If you are asking these questions as to what is a good boat, I think you have little knowledge of these larger boats.
2 - why do you want 50 feet. Many boats from 38 feet + will provide a spacious interior for living and can be rigged to cross oceans.
3 - How much money do you want to spend purchasing and rigging your boat - do you want a new yacht or good condition used one.
4 - How much money will you have to live on and available for repairs. How handy are you - can youmake your own repairs.
5 - Where will you purchase the boat or where do you live now. Where do you intend to sail.
6 - Who else will be sailing with you.
7 - When are you looking to make your purchase

My questions go on. I am in the business of purchasing good quality uwed yachts, repairing, retrofitting, rigging and upgrading them for single handing and world cruising. I also look for well made new yachts from dealers with overstocked inventory that I can purchase well below retail. A good, late model 50 foot yacht fully equipped for living and ocean cruising can run anywhere from $195,000 to over $300,000.

If you want to discuss this furhter, e-mail me at CaptainRonBVI@aol.com

Hope this helps

CaptainRon

Jeff_H 09-13-2001 04:13 AM

buying advice for 50+Ft

There are a lot of good companies that built good 50 footers but few that have made a 50 footer specifically designed for singlehanded performance distance cruising. A 50 footer is a huge boat for someone to single-hand. The loads on the running rigging get enormous and sheer distances make it hard to do things almost simultaneously as is required as a single-hander.

I would suggest that you focus on lighter weight 50 footers and that you probably should focus on more modern designs because of the recent improvements in sail handling gear that is hard to refit on some older designs.

Probably at the top of the list is the Hunter HC 50. This is not you father''s Hunter. Unlike the typical Hunter these are extremely high tech boats constructed using the highest quality materials and construction methods. They have a very sophisticated interior and deck plan design aimed at the short handed cruiser. They carry a lot of storage and water capacity.

Another good choice might be a Santa Cruz 52 but a SC52 will need some refit. Another good option would be the J-160. Examples of these neat boats are pretty rare but the one that I sail on from time to time has been nicely equipped to permit comparatively easy single-handing. A smaller and very expensive option is the Morris 454.

An extreme option would be to buy an old Open Class 50. You can pick these up quite cheaply (under $200,000)and for $100K of improvements you could end with a world class ocean cruiser (albeit with a very deep draft).

I still have to ask, as Capt Ron, quite wisely asked, Why a 50 footer? It make little sense to consider a boat this size for that purpose. The costs are enormous compared to the more usual 32 to 38 foot single-handed cruiser. As single-handers they are hard to handle and the risk of something going very wrong goes up greatly with size.

Respectfully
Jeff