SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

oday 30 purchase

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am considering making an offer on 1 of 2 1979 O''day 30''s I have looked at. I have a couple of questions before I take the next step of making an offer and contacting the surveyor.

Does anyone know of any common "hidden problems" with the ''79 O''day 30 that I might be able to spot before having the survey done?

Does anyone want to try and talk me out of purchasing an Oday 30 for LI sound and New England to Florida coastal cruising?

Thanks, Rob

#2 ·
Oday''s have some problems with delamination of the decks if the caulking under fittings isn''t maintained. A good surveyor can tell by sounding the deck with a hammer. You can too. A springy deck that feels like the top layer isn''t connected to the balsa core is a very bad sign. I owned an Oday 272 for 8 years and now own an Oday 34. Both passed survey with minor problems and I removed fittings, drilled holes slightly oversize and filled with epoxy before rebedding. Oday 30 is reasonable for coastal cruising.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.