Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2001

maxrudy is on a distinguished road
J/80 - Opinions Needed

Rob,

When I posted my original message, I puposely did not mention my short list of boats. I wanted opinions that would not be biased by my list.

The Colgate is on my short list. I first saw it at the Annapolis show last year and I thought it was a J/80. It is definitely a better value than the J/80, but then again most boats are.

By the way, Colgate is currently offering free shipping to any destination in the eastern U.S. on new boats.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
J/80 - Opinions Needed

John,
Unfortunately I''m in the midwest and had to pay for shipping. But I do love my Colgate. Its really a pleasure to sail.
What other boats are on your short list? There are not many other similar boats. The Sonar 23 is similar, but I did not like it as much. Most other boats with a large cockpit are smaller with almost no cabin at all. We were out sailing with 2 other couples on Sat nite (6 people total) and there was room to spare in the cockpit. We sailed by one boat which was at least 35'' that had about the same number of people on board and they were all bunched together with one sitting on top of the cabin. I''m sure it had a fantastic cabin, but thats not where I spend my time when I sail!!
I''m sure Steve Colgate will be at the Annapolis show coming up--say hi to him for me if you check out the Colgate 26 again.
Rob Hall
Old 09-25-2001

maxrudy is on a distinguished road
J/80 - Opinions Needed

Rob,

I totally agree with you on cockpit size. Most of the boats on my short list have relatively large ones:

New or Used:
Alerion Express 28 - It is very beautiful and very expensive classic-looking boat, the one boat on the list that my wife would love.
Colgate 26 - The price is reasonable and it looks good.
J/80 - Still top of my list except for the damned price.
Sonar 23 - I learned to sail in this boat, not sexy but it is a good boat and it is fun to sail.

Used (I found two through this message string):
J/27 - For my needs and price range, this is the only other J that fits the bill.
Laser 28 - From what I can tell this boat is very similar to the J/27.
Unknown - A fractional sloop of approximately 25 feet. The huge cockpit has wood seats and a wood floor. There seems to be room underneath only for storage. It is doubtful that they are still made. A marina near my house has two of them docked. But I haven''t been able to get an I.D. on them.

John
Old 09-26-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
J/80 - Opinions Needed

John,
I looked at the Alerion--beautiful boat but there were a number of negatives: too much wood to take care of, no lifelines, and cost. Also, I hear they are fairly tender...but a beautiful boat.
J27-did not look at it.
Laser 28-know nothing about it, but I''m sure JeffH would love to sell you his.
Colgate-if you want a nice daysailer that''s low maintainance, fast, fun to sail, safe and affordable, I don''t think you can beat the Colgate. Only negatives on the Colgate: no ports or forward hatch (but that means there are fewer areas that can leak). I really like the solid rails along the cockpit on the Colgate and I like the cockpit better that the J80. Would you use the retracting bow sprit and assymetrical spinaker on the J80? I also like having a solid fiberglass hull as opposed to a cored hull.
Good luck with you choice.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 03-31-2010

seahorse7 is on a distinguished road
Old thread - but totally relevant question today.

j80s are:
- much cheaper now
- still have some one design
- can transport (Charleston Race Week looks fun)

Whats not to like?

Jeff? Your comments page one did not have much specifics, although most everything I have read from you is quite detailed on why you have views on particular boats so I like your opinions.

What is lacking? I thought the J80 from a design spec is one of the better J boats - light almost uldb, planeable etc. Less tubby bow section (more or less j27 hull)

I know that is not everyones thing and makes it more of a handful but whats not to like?

Sit on deck, big cockpit - good things for racing maybe not so good for cruising ..

Please provide more feedback.

I understand there have been a couple suspect keel separation and the need for a serious survey in this area.

Also anyone chime in on production run differences.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

To keep the competitive in this area out of OD racing they had to do a LOT of battles with the PHRF board on both the 80 and 105

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2010

yeah, I can see that being the case - the little I saw of the j80 in phrf action was that it was hard as heck in normal conditions in the Ches Bay for it to sail to its rating.

BUT, I think that was complicated by it sailing its own sprit race AND not going with 155.

I can handle a dubious rating, but I want a fun boat without any really bad quirks or tendencies. Don't mind the sit on deck and it can't be wilder than the Olson 30.
Old 04-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that many of the things make it a good racing boat are things that make it poorly suited for use as a cruising boat, especially if you are short-handed.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that many of the things make it a good racing boat are things that make it poorly suited for use as a cruising boat, especially if you are short-handed.
Yes, I realize that is often the case. However, some race features are nice for family day sailing
1) open transom for kids to go in and out of water,
2) open/big cockpit for lounging
3) less sharp corners
4) I find cockpit 'seats' a hazard for small kids

the tenderness can be dealt with to some extent
and leading lines aft or not is always a choice depending on crew

Slugs vs bolt rope,
anchor location,
engine in vs out,
furling vs non - gotta choose one or the other

Anyways it would be for wed races, a couple longer ones and day sailing

I am finally accepting that I need something bigger/slower for cruising/overnighting.

Last edited by seahorse7; 04-01-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2010

JL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse7 View Post
Yes, I realize that is often the case. However, some race features are nice for family day sailing
1) open transom for kids to go in and out of water,
2) open/big cockpit for lounging
3) less sharp corners
4) I find cockpit 'seats' a hazard for small kids

the tenderness can be dealt with to some extent
and leading lines aft or not is always a choice depending on crew

Slugs vs bolt rope,
anchor location,
engine in vs out,
furling vs non - gotta choose one or the other

Anyways it would be for wed races, a couple longer ones and day sailing

I am finally accepting that I need something bigger/slower for cruising/overnighting.
Message Deleted: Selling a boat with an inadequate number of posts in violation of Forum rules

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-13-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Message Deleted: Selling a boat with an inadequate number of posts in violation of Forum rules

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.