27 vs 29 Feet - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter

27 vs 29 Feet

Hey Everybody!

So I have been looking at 27-foot boats and have come across a 29 foot that I like a lot. These two boats are the same make (Ericson).

This will be my first big boat (not a dingy), what are the merits of a 27 vs a 29-foot boat?

The extra space on the 29 is pretty significant, but the boat will end up costing a couple grand more.

Thanks for your help!
Kevin
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-04-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: 27 vs 29 Feet

Condition and equipment being more or less equal, going to 29 may well skip, or at least delay, a step (the inevitable 2-foot-itis). If the purchase costs differences are manageable, and the added moorage too, then you'll appreciate the extra space and comfort right away.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 24 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Condition and equipment being more or less equal...
The 29 is being offered for about $500 less, but needs $3k in engine work. I'm hoping that I can negotiate them down more on the 29 because of the engine work and the time of year. (Pay for the boat, then I need to immediately pay for storage)

Tell me if this is a stupid thought:
I almost like the fact that the 29 needs the engine work, both boats are from the 70s and having someone rebuilding half the engine means that everything should be in good working order. The 27 runs well today but could break tomorrow...I know a survey should find anything, but having the engine rebuilt is different than someone watching it run.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-04-2015
al brazzi

Everything is that little bit bigger with 2-3' difference. my friends 27 (I think) crowds my feet standing behind the wheel where my 30 is just right. The concept of exponential growth is no more apparent than in boat design. A 40 footer is not just 10' longer than a 30 footer its wider taller etc. etc. Same with this 2' If its affordable go bigger. Just my opinion.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-04-2015

One of the most difficult things to judge in a survey or inspection is engine condition. You can do the oil analysis, you can hire a mechanic to go over it, but there is a judgement call. I've had the best luck on this by trying to figure out how the previous owner treated it (regular oil changes, no overheats, etc).

If what you get at the end from a rebuild is essentially a new engine, your logic is good.

What is the 3K worth of work, and are you sure it's just 3K.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-04-2015
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
So I have been looking at 27-foot boats and have come across a 29 foot that I like a lot.

The extra space on the 29 is pretty significant,
I can not really get my head around the difference between the two being "significant". But the question is all up to you if whether you feel it is worth the price for the extra space. To me the difference seems more about being less small than being bigger.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post

What is the 3K worth of work, and are you sure it's just 3K.
I don't know for sure, I looked at both boats yesterday and I asked for him to send over the quote on the engine repair. Hopefully he sends it tomorrow. I'll definitely update with what it needs.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-04-2015
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
The 29 is being offered for about $500 less, but needs $3k in engine work. I'm hoping that I can negotiate them down more on the 29 because of the engine work and the time of year. (Pay for the boat, then I need to immediately pay for storage)

Tell me if this is a stupid thought:
I almost like the fact that the 29 needs the engine work, both boats are from the 70s and having someone rebuilding half the engine means that everything should be in good working order. The 27 runs well today but could break tomorrow...I know a survey should find anything, but having the engine rebuilt is different than someone watching it run.
You were typing this as I was last posting so I missed the Motor. (I) would replace the Motor but I could do all the work myself. The difference is 5K or 10K roughly, 3K on a rebuild just doesn't work in my mind but for others It may. Unless maybe its an Atomic IV then my answer may be different.
There are a lot of $8,000 boats out there that could need $10,000 worth of repowering at any time, more as time passes. That just makes my head spin its musical chairs and the guy that catches the repower is it.
Does the 27 have an inboard, I wouldn't have an outboard boat but again that's just me. 27- 29 is about that point and I prefer a wheel but again that's just me.
Comps on the boat you're looking at with a good motor and one needing a motor are never the cost of the motor.
capecodda likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
Unless maybe its an Atomic IV then my answer may be different.
Quote:
Does the 27 have an inboard, I wouldn't have an outboard boat but again that's just me.
Both boats have atomic IV inboards.

Quote:
There are a lot of $8,000 boats out there that could need $10,000 worth of repowering at any time, more as time passes. That just makes my head spin its musical chairs and the guy that catches the repower is it.
That is why I was thinking the rebuild might be a good thing.

Quote:
27- 29 is about that point and I prefer a wheel but again that's just me.
Both Boats have wheels.

Quote:
Comps on the boat you're looking at with a good motor and one needing a motor are never the cost of the motor.
You mean that you think there is something wrong with the motor? Sorry I'm not 100% on what you mean here.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-04-2015

You might want to talk to the people over at the Ericson sight where you will find very knowledgable info on the exact difference between these boats. One issue is useable space. At one point I looked at 25 and 27 foot Catalinas. I found the v-berth in the 27 too short and I am not that tall so the 25 was a better layout. Have you checked out all the berths in the two boats?

There is also an Atomic 4 website. If you are handy you could probably rebuild the atomic 4 for less than 3 grand. Plus you have a whole winter ahead of you to work on it. I am not sure I would even be shopping for boats at this time of year if my marina froze in winter. You might get a better deal once the boats have been sitting on the frozen hard for a few months. Do you pay a winter fee for storage or is it like a normal storage area or slip fee where you got to pay each month?

EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.