Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006

BRCincy is on a distinguished road
1983 Catalina 25

I recently came across a 1983 Catalina 25 for approximately $8000. Included in this is 1 year's free winter storage, and first year's free launch and haul-out. Looking over the boat, the hull is smooth, I could not find any blisters, however, it is dull in color, and some paint is peeling, nothing major. There is no major hull damage that I can detect. The iron keel has very small areas of surface rust at the very bottom of the keel. It is dry. The interior is sold, with no signs of leaking, and no water in the bildge. The sails are 2 years old.

I would like a boat of this size for lake sailing. Do you, in your opinion, think this is a good deal? What questions should I ask the seller, etc?

Link to Ad for boat:
http://www.sailboatowners.com/classi...3286831046&bd=
Thanks.

Last edited by BRCincy; 08-22-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IS the boat in the water? If not, then the bilge being dry may be meaningless. i would highly recommend a survey...but YMMV. What do you mean by lake sailing? The Great Lakes are "lake sailing" but if you're serious about sailing on them, you might want an off-shore capable boat, since all that separates the Great Lakes from being oceans is salinity. What is the size of the lake, depth of the lake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-22-2006

The boat is on a cradle at Strictly Sail. I am looking at sailing this at Brookville Lake in Southeast Indiana, a large resevior, about 16 miles long by 1.5 to 2.5 miles wide. It is protected water. There is an active J24 fleet on the lake, and I took a sailing course there in a Catalina 25.

BTW, what does YMMV mean?

Thanks

Last edited by BRCincy; 08-22-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BR... I don't think $8K for a 1983 Cat25 is a particularly good deal...not a bad deal but not a great one either...assuming the boat is in good shape.
YMMV...means "your mileage may vary"...i.e. you may have a different opinion.
Paint peeling worries me as these boats were not painted. Do you mean the bottom paint needs refreshing or was the hull itself painted? If so why? And if it is peeling...you have a job ahead of you!
The other thing you don't mention is the engine. This is a big part of the value of the boat...So you need to make sure it is in good shape! I second the recommendation for a survey and your liking the Cat25...good fun boat with plenty of space for your weekends aboard!
Old 08-22-2006

As far as paint peeling, it is bottom paint that needs some refreshing, I beleive. It is peeling, or flaking in about three or four small areas on the bottom, not over the entire bottom. The hull itself is not painted, just the bottom. There is a 6 or 7 hp outboard engine that comes with the boat that is the same age as the boat. I do not know its overall condition. There is not an internal deisel or gasoline engine.

How to proceed with getting a survey done???

Thanks
Old 08-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't believe the Cal 25's had an internal engine, but I could be wrong. Believe, that they normally came with an outboard, transom-hung, for power.

To get a survey done, you'll need to find a good surveyor that is familiar with GRP sailboats in that area. Do not use a surveyor that is recommended by the owner or the broker, as they may not be working in your best interests.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-22-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BR... A new motor will run you $1.5-2.0K so make sure the one you're getting has life in it or drop your offer price accordingly. Here's a link to some accredited surveyors in Indiana...if your location is closer to another state...you can search on the same site for others...SAMS
Good luck with it all! Oh by the way...with a +20
Old 08-22-2006
moderate?

BR... A new motor will run you $1.5-2.0K so make sure the one you're getting has life in it or drop your offer price accordingly. Here's a link to some accredited surveyors in Indiana...if your location is closer to another state...you can search on the same site for others...SAMS
Good luck with it all! Oh by the way...with a +20 year old boat, a lot of insurance companies will demand a survey before they cover the boat so you might as well do it BEFORE you own it! Every survey I've ever had done has saved me more than it cost me.
Old 08-23-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
IMHO - Get the survey. The paint peeling may or may not mean anything. I purchased a '77 C-27 exactly 1 year ago. Here's my story as posted in another thread:

I purchased a '77 C-27 exactly one year ago - great deal! Guess what, it's still on the hard as once I got all the old (and I mean old slopped on, red turned brown, thick as__ ) bottom paint off, I found a plethora of blisters that were both not visible nor could they be felt. Although I am doing the repair myself, and will run about $1k once complete (I'm just finishing up the blister repair and final fairing). A yard would have cost $10-$15k for that job (including new bottom and topsides paint). I won't go into everything else I've been doing. Bottom line - complete refit.

I should add here that I got lucky in that the blisters were a result of voids and not delamination. Also, that $1k includes a paint job on the topsides (I will be doing that too).

Additionally, I spent $5k for boat, trailer, and lots of extras including a spare Atomic 4 (complete, but frozen - I saw a parts store, just in case). That being said, I am on the west coast (S.F. Bay) where used Catalina's are quite a bit less than on the "right" coast.

Last edited by Parley; 08-23-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2006
Someday...

ilnadi is on a distinguished road
first ask questions on the Catalina 25 owners site (http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/). 8k sounds a bit steep for an 83 unless the motor is in good shape and it has a trailer. The ad mentions trailer license but does not list one.

Plus sailboatwoners has a "bluebook" feature where you can see what the ones already sold were listed for. It will give you an idea.