SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Just purchased one but turns out not to be an islander 29 but a contest 29

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  reminosouci 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!!! Thanks in advance for any of your support...
I just purchased a boat. I'm a sailing instructor in france for small catamaran 12 to 18 feet. So I know about sailing but nothing about cruisingcruising and I want to cross the Pacific. So here I am in California.
I don't know much so I preferred to buy a boat to someone I feel I could trust. So a guy told me that he had a great boat for the Pacific a islander 29. I did some research and it's seemed to be a good one.
But after one week, I realized the inside was different from the other one and did a research and find out that it was a contest 29.
My question :is a contest 29 blue water, I'm concerned about the system to rotate the mast vertically to horizontally is it strong? And is a islander 29 cost less than a contest 29?

#2 ·
I would think that Contest 29 is a better boat than Islander 29. Better design, better build quality. But these are very old boats now and crossing oceans in them will require extensive updates of equipment and a thorough inspection of all systems. Initial price of the boat is often less than 1/3 of what you need to invest in making your boat seaworthy. It makes a lot of sense to buy a boat that is already updated and fixed up.

#3 ·
There is a reason the Contest costs more than the Islander, but it really more about the sailor. Heck Remus drifted most of the way across the Pacific on a San Juan 24 (or something) and that is a light weight protected water boat (not really even designed for coastal) so if you have the time just about anything is possible. Of course I think he did loose his rig, and he abandoned it because it was basically un-repairable.

#4 ·
Thanks for your messages. It's so great to have differents opinions, specially when there are positives ? (or not too negatives). I was a bit sceptical about the pivot on the mast but you confort me. I'm learning, and even if I'm not doing everything the easiest and the cheapest, when there's a wheel there's a way.

#6 ·
Yes, this...

Did you get a bill of sale and registration information? Mine was CG documented, so I don't know how it works with the state, but you could contact California DMV and ask them about the boat if it has a CF # on it. If you don't have a title to the boat, you might have bigger concerns, though I'd agree with the others that the Contest would likely be the better boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.