Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2001

j1budo is on a distinguished road
Looking for input on a CSY fixer-upper

Hello everyone, I found the information on the Survey and Sea Trials to be quite helpful. I am a novice sailor that is looking for a liveaboard in the 33''-37'' range that is around 30K in price.

I have stumbled upon a CSY 33 and I have done much research into these boats. The listing is of a 79'' but according to the hull number it was certified in 78'' which seems to be a fairly early model. From what I have seen so far most of the systems work but in general the boat is in rough shape. This boat is on the market for 35K and I believe I can get them down into the 20''s. I am a capable and confident person as far as making the repairs but I just wanted to get a general opinion of having a liveaboard cruiser where I would have to put some elbow grease into in order to get it up to par.

There was an elderly gentleman that was living on this vessel before he died (not in the boat) and now the marina just wants it out of there. Standing rigging looks old and worn and could use some touching up, ground rigging is ok but ropes need to be replaced. Electrical systems seem to be operational but I could not figure out how to work the radar that was on board but power does go to that device. Bilges worked, pressure water worked. There are some leaks that I was unable to find but there was a huge storm that just came through in florida and the marina did not batten anything down. I did notice some wood rot in places but I am sure I can replace what was damaged. The interior in general is old and worn, not exactly up to the quality I was expecting from a CSY from what I was reading so I would wind up replacing many of the interior items, which I am very capable of making from a brighter wood such as oak or maple.

I plan on taking this boat on a sea trial with a surveyor and based on that I will decide if a dry docked survey should be persued.

I would love some opinions on this, this is a great boat for a liveaboard but this one is just a little rough as it is now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2001

joejupiter is on a distinguished road

Reoutfitting is a great way to learn your boat. You will know what you have when you get done.I suggest making a list of things that need to be fixed and getting some prices before you make an offer. It can help with the barganing too. Just remember everything takes longer to do than you think.
What part of Florida are you from?
Old 09-20-2001

I am currently in Sarasota, Florida even though I live in Venice at this time. I am an industrial Designer (mechanical engineer not making the money of the engineer) for work and play and I am originally from upstate NY (the New Paltz/Newburgh area). For years now I have been thinking of getting a boat as a liveaboard cruiser but well, just did not have the guts in ways. There is a lot of commitment there and that gets a little funny sometimes. I am fairly young, 26 but my father who has an Alberg 30 up in Virginia has taught me well. I am very good with electrical and mechanical systems and I am a bit crafty and inventive so making everything from cabinets to reworking the electrics does not worry me. I am lucky because I have a lot of tools and a lot of friends that like to help in the wood working section of things. I would be dry docking this boat for about a month and going over all the thru-hull penetrations and making sure that I wont wake up in a sinking ship in sarasota bay where I will be living with the boat bums :-). After that I will be mooring it off city island and I will do the work from there. I may also rent a slip in Nokomis or Bradenton if I need excessive power for equipment. Anyway, Thanks for the advice, I will use it.

Jeremy
Old 09-20-2001

joejupiter is on a distinguished road

Jeremy

Good Luck!!!!!

Im up in clearwater so if you want i could run down and take a look see. That is if you want the input. E-Mail me with your phone#.

Joe
Old 09-21-2001

Well Hello again. My phone number is 941-685-6539. If you wanted to take a look at this boat that would be great. I am pretty good at finding lots of things but another opinion would be great. I am vaigly familliar with the electrical end of the boat and I did not get a chance to look at that as I would like. I am planning a second visit up there to do another inspection but I am not sure of the date.

Currently the boat is kept at Island Yacht club which is out on 200 Windward just after the bridge to clearwater bridge. Charlie Crank is the contact and his number is 727-403-4767. If you do go and look at this boat, let me know and I will try to be up there at the same time. It is quite a hike from Down here in Venice but I guess I have to do it. I am going to make a really low ball offer this AM to see what they do. There is a CSY association and the people on that message board has given me tons of ammuntion for this. I really like the boat style and I have the capability to do good things with it but it all comes down to price. This CSY 33 (RANGE) is actually the 1st production hull. They only made the 33''s for 1.7 years and there are not that many of them.

Thanks a bunch and I am sure I will hear from you soon. You can always email me at my hotmail addy mailto:j1budo@hotmail.com

Jeremy Lembo