Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006

jdinafrica is on a distinguished road
Best place to buy a boat

I am from the Pacific North West and having problems finding the right boat for my cruising dreams. I am looking for Tayana 42's, KP44's, FAst PAssage etc. I am willing to travel to anywhere in North America. Where would be the best place to check out for selection and price.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake region

Annapolis and the Chesapeake Bay region have a large inventory with many marinas and supporting businesses which provide post purchase work and supplies. Besides Annapolis there are concentrations of marinas with listings in popular harbors within a few hours driving up and down the Chesapeake.

I can't compare it to elsewhere but I do know that many people come here to find their vessel.
Old 08-24-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Have you tried any of the online listings, such as yachtworld.com? Much easier to locate a boat that way, then you know where to go.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
You'll likely get many opinions. One that was given to me was:
  • Freshwater sailed
  • Winter stored on hard
The theory behind this was that a 20 year old boat that has been freshwater sailed and then wrapped up well each winter on the hard would have less wear than a Florida or So. Cal boat.

A PNW broker might claim the rigging on a Seattle boat might last longer than a So. Cal boat, simply because the rain is a regular fresh-water wash. A Portland broker might argue a life-long Portland boat has always been freshwater, meaning...

Some believe this, others don't. Good luck!

Jim H

Last edited by Jim H; 08-24-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is something to be said for northern boats, which are stored for six months out of the year. They tend to have rigging and sails in better shape, and the hulls suffer fewer osmosis problems than boats of the same age from the southern states.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-24-2006

voiledenuit is on a distinguished road
Try craigslist (www.craigslist.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinafrica
I am from the Pacific North West and having problems finding the right boat for my cruising dreams. I am looking for Tayana 42's, KP44's, FAst PAssage etc. I am willing to travel to anywhere in North America. Where would be the best place to check out for selection and price.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 08-25-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
There is a vast selection of boats in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami at the best prices in the country. The problem there is that so many boats are beat up but if you can take the time to sort through the available inventory there are some gems at prices that are better than Annapolis which would be my second choice. If you head to FL to look may I suggest David Walters as a broker who specializes in the type of boats you are thinking of and is both knowledgeable about the market and honest about the +/-'s of the boats he shows in my experience. http://davidwaltersyachts.com
No connection...just a rare good broker experience!
As PBeezer said...the best place to start is www.yachtworld.com if you haven't discovered that yet. Try their advanced search option if you want to narrow things down a bit.
Old 08-25-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If you are searching for an older boat, I'll second the opinion that northern boats, which have been properly winter stored, seem to be better preserved than boats from climates with extended boating seasons.

This is just common sense and was proven to us while searching the country for identical make and model boats, close in age. In comparing three boats we inspected in New England, with two down in Florida, we decided upon a local boat with was winter stored - indoors, it's whole life. By comparison, the Florida boats, one even newer in age, were noticibly beat in many respects. Both boats had some serious osmosis issues from sitting in the water 12 months each year.
Old 08-25-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I have moved about the country a bit and have seen no degradation to boat due to salt water. Sun and heat cause a lot of damage and aging. Freezing causes damage. Keeping a boat on stands for a long period of time can cause damage. I have been impressed with Northern California up to the Pacific NW for used boat quality. East coast is OK if below the hard freeze line but you can still see high temps there. Southern CA is just OK, Florida is bad. One problem (or opportunity) you find is that a boat in one area didn't necessarily spend most of it's life there.
Old 08-25-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Get yourself a broker to help you with the purchase. Brokers act on behalf of buyers as well as sellers and brokers will tell other brokers things they will not tell individuals - it's part of the unwritten code.