Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006

brodgers is on a distinguished road
How far is too far, or When to look outside your market

I am looking for a good, 30-36' putzing around on our lake here in GA. I have looked at (or at least read about) 90% of the boats that are currently on the market on the lake and have not found one yet. For a boat in the $40-$50k range, how far outside my market is it worth looking. I am assuming it will cost me at least $1.50 mile to move it, plus the costs of hauling at the source end, and re commissioning at my end. Then there's the expense of traveling to examine the boat to begin with. So, my question is... Since I am not looking for a very specific make and model (ie "I absolutely have to have a 1984 Tartan 34"...) am I better off just being patient and waiting for something to come up on our lake? How long do people typically look locally before expanding their search?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends... If you can find a good boat at a really low price, then it might be worth going out of your market and paying the expense of trucking it back to GA. There are a lot of boats that are capable of "putzing around on a lake" on the market. You don't say what lake it is, or how large it is. If it isn't one of the larger, major lakes the market for used boats on it may be rather slim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
The checking I have done on shipping costs are closer to $3/mile for trucking, if you can sail it home the cost are much less.
Old 08-25-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
If you've looked at 90 o/o of the boats in your market you pretty much have to go outside your market. While you may not be able to sail it all the way home you should be able to get it close. You can always make an offer on a boat contingent on your personal inspection before acceptance. If you use a broker and by a brokered boat you should be able to get all the information you need to make your decision and the inspection will almost be a formality. That should give you a fairly large market as there are thousands of boats for sale in your area within an easy days drive.
Old 08-25-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sometimes there's little choice

A couple of years ago we were shopping for a new-to-us boat and after shopping all the (BC) local brokers, classifieds etc determined that a) the local selection was poor, and b) the few boats that came close to meeting our criteria were either over priced, in poor condition, or both. Some of our local brokers had a very poor - it's here, take it or leave it- attitude as well.
So after just a few months we looked farther afield and were successful in finding a boat across the border that fit our needs. We were lucky enough to find one that could be sailed home.
Several friends around the same time were boat shopping and some found boats in Oregon and California that were suitable and even after trucking to the Washington/BC border were reasonable deals.
So it's quite possible to do this over some distance. There are some things to be aware of and to watch for.

-Boat prices, even for similar models, can vary regionally (positively and negatively) by a fair amount. This, of course, can help or hurt you depending.

- Never take a broker's word over the phone on the condition of a vessel. This raises costs a bit because you have to go and inspect the boat yourself. One friend made two trips (Cleveland and San Diego) on a broker's promise of condition only to know it wasn't THE boat within 5 minutes of stepping aboard.

- Choosing a surveyor in an unfamiliar area is a bit problematic even if you are present. Ask around, and not just the dealing broker.

- Carefully research the boat movers/truckers that you might use.

- in our case, the volatile exchange rate is a factor, not so if you are staying in the US for your search.

Anyway, all told I personally know of 7 boats imported over the last 2 years, all considered reasonable deals (or better) after all costs were considered in. I guess it depends on your timetable, patience, and requirements.

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
If you have a good idea of what you want, and you're shopping for boat that's far away, you might try making a low-ball offer sight unseen (contingent on your own inspection as well as survey and sea-trial). Only once you've come to terms on the boat in question do you take the time (and incurr the expense) to travel to the boat and check it out. Make sure that your purchase agreement says that if the boat doesn't live up to your expectations on this visit, you can walk. For this approach to work, you have to know what you want, you have to be realistic in your expectations about the boat's condition, and you have to get what you feel is a good price, given your realistic expectations regarding the condition.

As for finding a surveyor, I've written up my experience at: http://sailing.thorpeallen.net/Greyh...Selection.html

Last edited by catamount; 05-02-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: update URL

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.