Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006

bigdreamthinwallet is on a distinguished road
Dreams Exchange

HELP A DREAM TO COME TRUE...
Young couple= Big Dreams= Thin Wallet
We are looking for a big, beautiful and cheap sailboat to make a trip all over the world! But impossible to have everything at the same time... now we are young, this is the right moment, and we don't have the money but we have the attitude! we'd really enjoyed the process of buying a cheap boat and repairing it to make it nice... and then enjoy it with the people who helped us to make our dream come true.
As soon as the boat is ready we plan to leave Caribbean in order to cross the Pacific visiting Galapagos, French Polinesia, and from island to island to New Zealand (this is the first part of the trip), then we'll visit many other beautifull places all over the world for some years...
So, the people who help us can visit us and stay on board for a holiday time, wherever we were in the moment they decide to join us and be part of this adventure for one or two weeks.
You can help us in many different ways, such as: boat equipments, sails, dinghy, tools, everything you think could be usefull, if you have second hand things in good state you won't use anymore, and of course money would be wellcome too!! if you want to contact us mail us to: bigdreamthinwallet@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Great first postSo you're basically begging people to donate equipment, tools, parts, money to you, because you're too lazy to put in the time and work it takes to earn all the stuff needed to go cruising around the world yourself. And you offer a vague promise of time spent aboard the boat with you, when you may be serial killers or psychotics...yeah, right

As it is, I do believe this is against the terms of service, and even if it wasn't it is just completely pathetic. Good luck with this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
A big, beautiful, and cheap sailboat---isn't that what we're all looking for? We need posts like this occasionally to provide comic relief.
Old 08-27-2006

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry but I am still stuck on the 1st Leg of the Journey.....leave Caribbean in order to cross the Pacific visiting Galapagos, French Polinesia, and from island to island to New Zealand (this is the first part of the trip. And may I ask what route would be taken from the Caribbean to the Galapagos Islands? East or West?

Ohh!!
If anyone has an Amel or I guess I would settle for a used Formosa (around 51' or so) in pristine condition I would be accepting of it.. But don't get me wrong I am not afraid to work.. I would spend literally hours and hours polishing the brightwork......

Last edited by tondelayo29; 08-27-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Don't start too big or wiht one in need of too much work...

Starting with a big boat and/or one that "NEEDS WORK" is the downfall of many folks dreams. IF your DREAM is to SAIL then GO NOW on a smaller cheaper boat..... . MOST FIXUP PROJECTS FAIL! You might be the exception but why bother to find out the hard way if your goal is not to have a project but is to go SAILING! There are capable affordable boats that will get you started. Once you have crossed a pond and weathered a blow you, or you and your partner will be in a position to beat the odds and find one of those great ?big? great deal 'FIX-ER-UPPERs' and keep going in grand style. They are out there for sure. As a way to start out it is almost a sure fire prescription for failure. However, once you are 'ON THE WATER', and 'LIVING THE LIFESTYLE', you will be in the best possible position to find those great deals and also you will have the experiance to know which of the deals is the RIGHT ONE FOR YOU. They will nearly JUMP out at you and the folks you meet will tell you all about them time after time. Dashed dreams that can be bought for pennies on the dollar, blown op on the shores of 'Bit off More than I Could Chew'. The folks you meet in the anchorage know these things, NOT the folks on the street.

My suggestion is to get a boat that (1) has a track record of doing the kind of things you want to do, (2) is well documented , (3) has a history of being reliable, (4) is inexpensive, (5) has good resale value, (6) Sail it for a while and then you can (a) sell it and move to the mountains and buy a farm or (b) get another boat suits you better or (c) just relax, hunker down and go or (d) ? .

For Example:
Look at the pearson triton 28' (Carl Alberg design)

(1) James Baldwin: two circumnavigations
(2) James Baldwin and a Mainer that has a 10 STAR web site on a stem to stern total refit.
(3) generally considered to be simple/bullet proof
(4) $15,000 with diesel, new paint and sails seems to the rule
(5) It's not a Cape Dory or Pacific Seacraft but they do have a good name and a devoted following.
(6) Your call a or b or c or ?

James Baldwin's Website:
http://www.atomvoyages.com/

See his LINKS page for all the Triton info anyone could want....

The Maine'r:
http://www.triton381.com/

Last edited by sailandoar; 08-27-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailandoar-

I don't think the OP is actually interested in getting anything but a bunch of handouts...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-27-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
I have an idea. There is a man around here that is desperate for someone to fix his boat in Florida and sail it to him in the Med, and he will let you holiday on it. The man is a poor east european pensioner and needs help to get his boat to him in much the same way you are needing help. So obviously the two of you are perfect for eachother. There is a little trouble with the boat's documentation, and the fact it has been sitting on the hard for what seems like many years etc...but hey, by your lights it is realistic! So look around the site to find his posts (there are many of them) and go for it. Best of luck!

Sasha

Last edited by Sasha_V; 08-27-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2006
Telstar 28

BTW, the person Sasha is talking about is JohnysRawson30 or something like that... Look here.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-27-2006
Official Rudder Inspector

krissteyn is on a distinguished road
I can see it now - Ebay auction knockdown - ferro-cement 50 footer noreserve sold to these 2 youngsters - and nowhere to put it that they can afford.
Slip rental for a 50 footer aint cheap if you have a "thin wallet" !

better they start on an Ebay 30 footer for 3 K and go from there - minimum slip rental for that anyway !!!

good luck - but if you get a + 30 footer - it takes longer...

kris

Last edited by krissteyn; 08-27-2006 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling oops
Old 08-27-2006

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road
Gee I just got home from church and no one has offered up anything yet?? (Meaning my well intentioned want of the Amel or Formosa) However, I do have an 8' dingy with oars that they can start their dreams with FOR FREE if they drive to Portland, OR and pick it up....