Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011

MikeH007 is on a distinguished road
Encapsulated

You are correct. Just had a pro take a look; did not see any other structural strain indications. Looks like cutting back damaged glass and foam then laying up filler and epoxy and glass to original shape and barrier coat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Great !
Old 06-18-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
My S2 has an encapsulated keel and I love it. My philosophy is that unless I go aground at least once every time I go sailing then I am not trying hard enough to explore, of course it is all oyster bars too and not rock. However, I have hit a couple of things very hard including en engine block and a whole truck (after the storm of '93) and my keel is fine whereas a bolt-on keel would have been very suspect afterwards.
On bolt on keel, much of the strength is in those keel bolts, whack em a few times and fatigue cracking starts, scares me just to think about it. On an encapsulated keel, the tensile strength of the glass holding everything on is probably an order of magnitude higher than the keel bolts of an external keel and does not fatigue crack as do the bolts.
Even if I were to make a jagged hole in the fiberglass, it would be easy to repair using epoxy from the outside and I know I could do it myself. Fixing suspect keel bolts? Not something I'd want to do.
Think about grounding on sand with both types of keel. How many SMALL waves would it take pounding your boat on the sand for your external keel to make its strength suspect and require she be hauled for inspection? Do the same on an internal keel and nothing happens. External keel failures in-use kill people whereas encapsulated keels after an impact might fail slowly if at all and the boat would probably only show increased leakage at the dock.
I feel that the encapsulated keel is much safer. In fact, I would not even consider an older boat with an external keel.
Old 06-19-2011

MikeH007 is on a distinguished road
Better Keel

Thanks for your insights. I'm getting quotes from local yard. They had three boats in for similar keel damage. Cost of a something more than a depth sounder might be a good investment too.
Old 06-19-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Where is this place with all these damaged keels??

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.