Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006

bayouelton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bayouelton
Red face Beneteau 44, 51, or FEMA trailer ????

Little help here, please, folks. I'm a novice sailor wannabe'. Practiced with a rubber duck couple years back then studied my seamanship books and challenged the ASA 101 course. Kept puttin' off buying a sailboat for the dock in my back yard. But now however - thanks to Katrina - I've got a small chunk of change in the bank but no house. So build a big house, buy a small boat or build a small house and buy a big boat. What's a guy to do? Buying a lease back with the boat based in the Caribbean seems very attractive but then I only get to use it 2 to 10 weeks a year (which may or may not be a good thing). Has anyone here had any experience with buying a boat that way? I took a tour of the Beneteau factory in Marion S.C. several weeks ago and came up with a small laundry list of the optional goodies I'd like on my boat but then the leasing company told me I can't choose any of the specs! Bummer!! What's that all about?? Why any leasing company in the Caribbean would order boats without generators and bow thrusters I haven't got a clue. But anyway, all of that aside, what I'm primarily looking for is anyone out there who did the lease back purchase and later regretted it, or if they feel they got their money's worth. Any help, information, or feedback will be most appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Elton Hartzler (p.s. - and what can I expect it to look like when I get it back in 5 yers and why are they all Beneteaus?)
bayouelton@aol.com

Last edited by bayouelton; 08-31-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Personally, I would avoid buying a boat through the charter companies. The real problems I see with that are that the boats the charter companies want are often not laid out the way most private owners would want. If you look, you'll see a "charter boat" layout usually has more cabins, with fewer areas for storage. While more cabins sounds like a good idea...on most boats—less than 50' LOA, long-term travel with more than two couples is hopelessly optimistic. A family of four can cruise in a two-cabin boat relatively easily.

Also, it depends on what kind of sailing you want to do in the future. Most of the charter boats are coastal cruisers, without real bluewater capabilities. Most are of the "floating condo" variety—designed more for the stay at the mooring ball or dock than the passage between.

If I were you, I'd go for the small house, as you can always make it bigger later... and a large boat, but one designed specifically for your long-term sailing goals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-31-2006

bayouelton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bayouelton
Interesting Observation

Thanks. That does make a lot of sense. I wondered why the sales lady made a point that at the end of the contract they would "retrofit" the boat by converting the 44 from 3 cabins to 2 cabins.
Old 08-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do you really want a retro-fit boat—wouldn't it make more sense to go with a good used boat, that is setup the way you want it??? BTW, if the boat has a marine head and a full galley, it may qualify as a second home under IRS guidelines. YMMV.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-31-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
heres the fema trailers! (not kiddin, here they are)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-31-2006
Telstar 28

And these FEMA trailers are from what hurricane...the ones a year ago??? Took 'em long enough... The sad part is, there was a story on a lady down in Alabama, who bought trailers for the families of her students, and she got them in at a quarter the cost of the FEMA trailers, and apparently are about comparable in size and facilities.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-31-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
forgot the link...

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions (under trailers) hey they've got a couple of boats too..

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs