SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Cal 39 & Bill Lapworth (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/2252-cal-39-bill-lapworth.html)

Bluesmoods 09-21-2001 03:45 PM

Cal 39 & Bill Lapworth

I am very interest in purchasing a 1984 Cal 39 in just fantastic condition with every conceivable piece of equipment on board.

The Cal 39 and Cal Boats seemed to be very popular boats in the 70''s and 80''s. You don''t hear much about them now and you don''t see to many of them for sale. Does anyone know much about the Cal 39 and It''s designer Bill Lapworth? Would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks.

mattf 10-02-2001 09:00 AM

Cal 39 & Bill Lapworth

Join the Cal email list here at sailnet. Extremely active, and has many knowledgable sailors. Lapworth is one of the most under rated designers in history. Known for innovations like the fin keel and spade rudder, the 40 is the most famous. Lapworth boats owned the late 60''s and early 70''s racing scenes. They also cruise very well. The 39 is a killer boat. You will find 39 owners on the list. Good luck

mattf 10-02-2001 09:00 AM

Cal 39 & Bill Lapworth

Join the Cal email list here at sailnet. Extremely active, and has many knowledgable sailors. Lapworth is one of the most under rated designers in history. Known for innovations like the fin keel and spade rudder, the 40 is the most famous. Lapworth boats owned the late 60''s and early 70''s racing scenes. They also cruise very well. The 39 is a killer boat. You will find 39 owners on the list. Good luck

TSteele65 07-08-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astrass
deleted....spam

Yeah, those little evaluation tubes are nothing but trouble.

southerncross31 07-08-2007 09:43 AM

This spam is just disturbing to try and read...WTF?

paulaita 03-13-2008 08:06 PM

Hi, I am new here.
I live on a Cal 39 with my boyfriend, we are fixing the boat to go cruising.
We want to go to Panama from Miami, my question is: is the Cal 39' a good boat to do it? this boat is a fin keel and I am a little worry about it.
Thanks.

artbyjody 03-13-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulaita (Post 282281)
Hi, I am new here.
I live on a Cal 39 with my boyfriend, we are fixing the boat to go cruising.
We want to go to Panama from Miami, my question is: is the Cal 39' a good boat to do it? this boat is a fin keel and I am a little worry about it.
Thanks.

Draft may be somewhat a concern...depending where you want to gunkhole... however as for cruising the Cal-39's are very trusty boats to do such with...and many do...

camaraderie 03-13-2008 08:52 PM

These are excellent, well built cruising boats. As Jody says..if you have the deep draft version that can be a pretty big problem in Florida and the Bahamas and in various other places. There is also a 5.5' draft version that may be better for your plans.

pah 02-02-2009 02:17 PM

cal 39 at sea

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie (Post 282308)
These are excellent, well built cruising boats. As Jody says..if you have the deep draft version that can be a pretty big problem in Florida and the Bahamas and in various other places. There is also a 5.5' draft version that may be better for your plans.

this is my first post. i came across this cal 39 thread re off shore cruising on them. so if paulaita might still respond, that would be great. or anyone elses two cents.

i've been looking for a liveaboard, 2 cabin cruiser. i respect the cal designs and though they are a touch light for my ideal, i know they are also super proven.

my main question about buying one is the vulnerability of the spade rudder. though i have not heard of specific problems it is a concern of general design and the robustness when abuse at sea comes on the menu. can someone speak to the toughness of the rudder set up compared to say the skeg hung rudders on boats like the corbin 39 which i am also considering along with a cooper 416.

not a statement that yes, skeg hung is tougher but whether or not there have been problems on these cals or the 40 or 43s

thanks.

peter

camaraderie 02-02-2009 09:35 PM

Peter...I prefer a skeg as well...but obviously, not all do. I have heard of no special problems with the Cal rudders.