SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

help me find 'my' boat

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Looking for the smallest boat I can find that will fit into my needs. ALL of these. Please don't send me off looking at boats that don't fit the list. It's my list and I'm sticking to it. There are plenty of boats that will fit the list 42' and over, hoping to find something smaller. Coastal cruising ONLY, no offshore passagemaking. Livaboard cruising.

Here's my requirements...

No more than a 5' draft.

Single mast, no more than 62'.

Water tankage of at least 150 gallons.

Fuel tankage of at least 75 gallons.

Decent sized windows, I refuse to live in a submarine.

A queen bed that I doesn't require me to crawl over my wife to get up to pee! This is the single biggest problem with smaller boats. A good forward master with a nice V-berth is possible.

A separate shower stall.

Prefer In-mast furling, we ain't gettin any younger. All lines must lead to the cockpit.

Whacha got?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The tankage is going to be a problem on a smaller boat. Do you realize that you're looking at tanks equivalent to over four 55 gallon drums. Think about that...and think about the space on most sailboats... especially ones with a shallower bilge.... Something has gotta give...there's only so much space on a boat. And this doesn't even include the holding tank, which would have to be at least 15-20 gallons minimum.

What is the maximum length you're willing to accept?

What is the maximum beam you're willing to accept?

How important is the sailing performance... cause it sounds like you want a powerboat.

#3 ·
Of course, you might be able to find a Catamaran that fits the specs, but I doubt it...

Most cats will have less than 5' draft, especially centerboard models, which usually have a board up draft of about 1-2'.

Almost all cats have wonderful wrap-around windows.

Ditto for the shower stall, and the master cabin is usually very spacious.

In-mast furling is an option that can be added to almost any boat. In-boom furling is the other option. In-boom furling is probably a bit better, as it leaves less weight aloft.

Lines led back is an option that can be added to most boats.

Also, are you looking at new or used??

#4 ·
IP 38 comes close, any special color hull to go with those rose colored glasses?

#6 ·
I just met a couple that finished their 10,000 mile mark cruising and they had a 40'er with around 300 gallons of water aboard.

Used is prefered but not 'used up'.

Sailing performance is not high on the list. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere.

Cats make a lot of sense but I just don't want to go there.

Maximum size is irrelevant. I can find plenty of 42 to 45's that meet the requirements, I'm trying to get down to 38 to 40, if possible.

#8 ·
RE: Bristol 41.1,
PS - although you didn't mention sailing performance the Bristol is reasonably capable of getting out of its own way, PHRF rating of 120 (not to launch a war, but as a comparison a boat like the Island packet 40 rates 156...).

#9 ·
my wife and I have pretty much decided that the Gemini 105 is the way we want to go. Has to do with shallow draft ( my local neighborhood is the Caicos Bank, which our new home will overlook) I will put a watermaker on board, because as has already been mentioned, carrying around tons of water onboard just isnt a good idea on a small boat. Get stale anyhow. There are some decent little solar powered watermakers around these days.

#10 ·
Boat Suggestion

If you want big tankage and a walkaround berth, I would suggest the Island Packet 380. The master berth is forward and is a walkaround approximately queen size. It carries about 170 gallons of water and 85 gallons of fuel (if my memory is right). On the downside, this boat is very popular and commands a high price during resale.

Good luck with your purchase.

Dan Forter
S/V Eventyr
www.ipphotos.com/eventyr

#11 ·
Caliber 40LRC? Also check out Nauticats and some of the other motor-sailors to get the view you want. Or perhaps a Winnebago would be a better choice.

#12 ·
Canibul said:
my wife and I have pretty much decided that the Gemini 105 is the way we want to go. Has to do with shallow draft ( my local neighborhood is the Caicos Bank, which our new home will overlook) I will put a watermaker on board, because as has already been mentioned, carrying around tons of water onboard just isnt a good idea on a small boat. Get stale anyhow. There are some decent little solar powered watermakers around these days.
Which solar-powered watermaker are you looking at???

#13 · (Edited)
by "solar powered" I mean real small and 12 vdc, of course. Have been looking at SeaQuencher SQ200,and lately the PUR Powersurvivor 40E, although its a little lite on the production side, I can survive on 1.5 gph. for a $ 3000. lightweight RO system.

There are a few others out there as well. Spectra Ventura 150 looks good. Its boiling down to a matter of whether I want long showers or just to be able to top up tank while running engine, or during the day while solar active. Do I really NEED 6 gallons an hour? I think a good 2-3 gallons an hour might do it. Keep me topped up between rain fills, or marinas, and enough to survive if the watertank were ruptured, or contaminated, etc.
Input greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
Canibul-

You might be better off with a slightly larger watermaker than a smaller one, as it allows you to make more water in the same amount of time. This is particularly true if you're going to be using the engine to provide the electricity to make the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.