Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
help me find 'my' boat

Looking for the smallest boat I can find that will fit into my needs. ALL of these. Please don't send me off looking at boats that don't fit the list. It's my list and I'm sticking to it. There are plenty of boats that will fit the list 42' and over, hoping to find something smaller. Coastal cruising ONLY, no offshore passagemaking. Livaboard cruising.

Here's my requirements...

No more than a 5' draft.

Single mast, no more than 62'.

Water tankage of at least 150 gallons.

Fuel tankage of at least 75 gallons.

Decent sized windows, I refuse to live in a submarine.

A queen bed that I doesn't require me to crawl over my wife to get up to pee! This is the single biggest problem with smaller boats. A good forward master with a nice V-berth is possible.

A separate shower stall.

Prefer In-mast furling, we ain't gettin any younger. All lines must lead to the cockpit.

Whacha got?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The tankage is going to be a problem on a smaller boat. Do you realize that you're looking at tanks equivalent to over four 55 gallon drums. Think about that...and think about the space on most sailboats... especially ones with a shallower bilge.... Something has gotta give...there's only so much space on a boat. And this doesn't even include the holding tank, which would have to be at least 15-20 gallons minimum.

What is the maximum length you're willing to accept?

What is the maximum beam you're willing to accept?

How important is the sailing performance... cause it sounds like you want a powerboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-31-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, you might be able to find a Catamaran that fits the specs, but I doubt it...

Most cats will have less than 5' draft, especially centerboard models, which usually have a board up draft of about 1-2'.

Almost all cats have wonderful wrap-around windows.

Ditto for the shower stall, and the master cabin is usually very spacious.

In-mast furling is an option that can be added to almost any boat. In-boom furling is the other option. In-boom furling is probably a bit better, as it leaves less weight aloft.

Lines led back is an option that can be added to most boats.

Also, are you looking at new or used??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-31-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
IP 38 comes close, any special color hull to go with those rose colored glasses?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-31-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
and the weight of all that fuel and water?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-31-2006

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I just met a couple that finished their 10,000 mile mark cruising and they had a 40'er with around 300 gallons of water aboard.

Used is prefered but not 'used up'.

Sailing performance is not high on the list. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere.

Cats make a lot of sense but I just don't want to go there.

Maximum size is irrelevant. I can find plenty of 42 to 45's that meet the requirements, I'm trying to get down to 38 to 40, if possible.
Old 08-31-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
This is a broken record recommendation, but the Bristol 41.1 fits all of your specifications, board up, see http://www.bristolowners.org/411/bristol411.html for 41.1 specs and http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/b...ng_id=1580&url= for a rpresentative example.
Old 08-31-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
RE: Bristol 41.1,
PS - although you didn't mention sailing performance the Bristol is reasonably capable of getting out of its own way, PHRF rating of 120 (not to launch a war, but as a comparison a boat like the Island packet 40 rates 156...).
Old 09-01-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
my wife and I have pretty much decided that the Gemini 105 is the way we want to go. Has to do with shallow draft ( my local neighborhood is the Caicos Bank, which our new home will overlook) I will put a watermaker on board, because as has already been mentioned, carrying around tons of water onboard just isnt a good idea on a small boat. Get stale anyhow. There are some decent little solar powered watermakers around these days.
Old 09-01-2006

conchcruzer is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestion

If you want big tankage and a walkaround berth, I would suggest the Island Packet 380. The master berth is forward and is a walkaround approximately queen size. It carries about 170 gallons of water and 85 gallons of fuel (if my memory is right). On the downside, this boat is very popular and commands a high price during resale.

Good luck with your purchase.

Dan Forter
S/V Eventyr
www.ipphotos.com/eventyr