Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006

lasailor is on a distinguished road
I was wondering if anyone could give me a name of a good surveyor in the Providence RI area. I'm goint up that way to look at a boat early next week and may have the need of a surveyor.

The boat has a recent survey which I hope to look at. I do not want to use the same surveyor though. My experience with inspecting ships is that everyone has areas where they are great and other areas where they miss something. So I would hope to get a new set of eyes on the boat if I want to move past tire-kicking (or rig shaking).....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would contact a few of the boat yards and marinas in the area, not the one that has the boat you're interested in, and ask them for surveyor recommendations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Call Tony Knowles, he only books full days, but his reputation is outstanding.

Newport Marine Surveyors Group
7 Baldwin Road
Middletown, Rhode Island
401-849-1560-O, 401-849-1074-Fax
tksurvey@cox.net
Old 09-04-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Just as one works with a realestate agent when one is a purchaser of a house, one can enlist the services of a broker when one is the purchaser of a boat and he is "your broker". This is a very common practice. While the selling broker has to share the fee he gets the other half when he acts as the buying broker. In realestate this is generally covered by statute. Boat brokering is less regulated. People usually get a realestate agent to help with the purchase of a home. It only makes sense when making a major purchase of boat that you employ someone who's on your side.
In this particular case I agree with SailingFool it may be a bit awkward, however he may not have the legal right to tell your broker to get lost. But others should take advantage of this "free" service. When you buy a boat employ a broker, your broker and as I said before it's a very common practice.
Old 09-05-2006

lasailor is on a distinguished road
thanks for the input. I've worked with some brokers in my area and I find they are interested in selling you what they have listed but otherwise are not too keen on earning their commission. About the best I got was a listing off of yachtworld on some boats - which I'm capable of doing myself.
Old 09-06-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
Try getting on the BoatUS web site. They have lists of brokers that they recommend for their insurance surveys.

www.boatus.com
Old 03-14-2007

Archis is on a distinguished road
Anybody have a recommedation for a surveyor in Annapolis? I've found an old 70's vintage pearson, any may take the big plunge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.