Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 or Cal 34?

Okay, I keep looking for the right boat (used) and now I am looking at a Catalina 30 and a Cal 34 The Cal is a 1968 in good condition and the Catalina is a 1974, also in good condition. Any opinions on these two boats? I know I will have to get a survey before all is said and done, but if anybody has an opinion about these two boats, I would appreciate it. The one difference right off is the Cal has an Atomic 4 and the Catalina has a diesel (Yanmar, I think). Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I would be using the boat for some week-end cruising on Lake Erie, no racing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
The Cal designed by the Late Bill Lapworth is a class boat. It is a well thought out good design which lends itself to provide for her owners and real fun and safe sailing experience. Cals were built from the mid 60's (the infamous Cal 40) to late 80's and owned by a couple of different firms. The boat you had mentioned was built by Jensen Marine in California.

The Catalina 30 is a popular boat and there are a whole lot of them out there. The beam proovides for quite a bit of "livability" for a 30 foot sailboat. Surprisingly, she is a good sailing boat too. Not a Cal, but a good boat. Cal owners seem to be delighted with ownership on a different level than Catalina. Hard to explain but nonetheless true. Catalina does enjoy the benefit of a very solid Owners Association.

Think a little different, ask around, the Cal is. well... It's a Cal.
Old 09-05-2006
Just a Member

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning more toward the Cal because the boat has been totally refurbished in the last six years and it is a one owner boat. Hopefully, the survey won't uncover anything major. I appreciate the information. There isn't much about the Cal 34 on the internet so your input helps alot.
Old 09-05-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
They probably have comparable "living space" but something else to consider if you like both these boats is the extra moorage cost associated with the 34 footer. Even the availability of moorage could be different for 30 vs 34 depending on your area.
Is the Cal's A4 fresh water cooled? if so that is better than raw especially on atomic engines. A4s are very smooth running, quiet engines when in good condition. Resale is the biggest barrier with these.
I'm not "pushing" the Cat over the Cal - not at all - just something else to consider.
Old 09-23-2006

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
Cal 34?

Did you get the Cal 34?? Let us know!!!
Old 09-23-2006

Planb835 is on a distinguished road
IMHO go with the cal because when you go to sell there are very few cal's available but lots of catalina's. If you are selling a catalina there are all the other catalina's to compete with and it becomes very easily for a potential buyer to compare apples to apples. I also own a cal and have been very pleased with it. For either model watch the engine. You might need to replace it.
Old 09-26-2006
Just a Member

I have a contingent contract...

on a Catalina 30, subject to an acceptable survey. I looked at the Cal and the cabin was pretty well trashed and there was some damage to the starboard side hull (owner said it rubbed against a piling during a storm). Also, he had welded the boom with an aluminum collar about halfway down the length. He said he broke it in half while sailing it pretty hard in some heavy air. It was a real project boat and I would rather be sailing than working.

The Cat 30 I found just went on the market last week and I have had a broker looking for a boat for me. He called and said the boat was well-maintained and a one owner. Although it was more than I wanted to spend, he arranged for me to see it, which I did on Sunday, and we negotiated a price on Sunday night. Although it is a 1983, it looks nearly brand new. This owner was meticulous in his care and he continually upgraded the boat. Last year he installed a Raymarine autopilot and replaced the main sail cover and dodger. He purchased a new Sobstad main and a 135 genoa in 2002 and a 150 genoa in 2003. The gps and vhf was new in 2004 and the depth, speed and wind new in 2002. Stove/oven is CNG and he installed a new Harkin traveler in 2004. It was just heads and tails above the other boats I looked at on Sunday (Hunter 30 and Ericson 30, both 1978 models).

Anyway, I had originally targeted a budget of 15-18,000, but I ended up at $24,000 for the Cat. It just made more sense to get a boat that was in this kind of shape (and met my criteria) and I figured if I bought something less expensive, I would end up putting $5,000 or more into it to get to my liking. So, I'm hoping the survey doesn't uncover any deal breakers, because I should be able to get one more month of sailing up here on Lake Erie. Thanks to all of your input during my search. This website was most valuable and confirms that the sailing community is a classy group.

Mike
Old 09-26-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations, (pending a good survey, of course!). You're probably wise to go the extra distance for a well-kept and slightly newer example, in that price range there's not much in it, and you'd likely have spent that much more on the Cal or whatever anyhow.

Hope the survey doesn't turn up any obstacles, but if they are minor you may be able to renegotiate an even more favourable deal.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.