Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006

amirault is on a distinguished road
Bavaria 30 Owners please Respond

As there are no dealers with a sample of the Bav 30 in central Canada, I'm flying to Boston the end of September to view one at the In Water Boat Show. There is already a full range of comments available on Bavaria value, build quality and misplaced keels. Based on photos and specifications the features/price may be appropriate for my cruising and JAM racing needs.

There are two issues. The 30 has no traveller, but rather a control harness forward of the main hatch. Secondly, my local area makes attractive a more shallow draft and this option on the 30 yields a sort of tandem keel joined by a bulb.

What are the performance characteristics of these two design features? the other boat on the current short list is a Catalina 309 with a traveller on the roof and a wing keel; known locally as the danforth keel. Can I expect similar performance to that with the Catalina traveller/keel combination? Can the main be adjusted single-handed from the helm?

For you current owners it would not be a waste to comment on your likes/dislikes with you decision, and what options you found you didn't need/wish you had ordered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirault
What are the performance characteristics of these two design features? the other boat on the current short list is a Catalina 309 with a traveller on the roof and a wing keel; known locally as the danforth keel. Can I expect similar performance to that with the Catalina traveller/keel combination? Can the main be adjusted single-handed from the helm?

For you current owners it would not be a waste to comment on your likes/dislikes with you decision, and what options you found you didn't need/wish you had ordered.
I assume you are asking regarding the boat listed as the "30 Cruiser" on the Bavaria web site. If so, the model seems aptly named, and any thoughts of racing it seem misplaced. The 30 Cruiser calls out for some comments:
1. the lack of a traveller means the boat will never point properly nor can the main be trimmed in or out for different wind speeds, so you will either be heeling more than it should or sail with a partially luffing main. I'm not sure if a PHRF rater would give credit for this shortcoming - I suspect most see so few boats without a traveller the question may have never have come up. Of course a buyer could add a traveller, but I would say a designer leaving a traveller out is making a statement, which is that the planned sailing characterisitcs are casual and incidental.
2. The designer is also trying to get too much boat into too few feet. I can tell you based from my experience owning a Beneteau First 30E that three cabins in 31 feet doesn't work - results in each area being too small to be comfortable. As a result the boat feels cramped...
3. the aft cabin looks like it will have all the characteristics of sleeping in a coffin.
3. An iron keel should be a non starter. Based on the iron keel on the Beneteau, I'd bet within three years you will be grinding and epoxying it some Spring , or living with a rusty mess. That was my experience.
4. As to trimming the main from the helm, I've never seen any mid-boom sheeting setup that allowed a helmsperson to trim the mainsheet from behind the wheel. Install the traveller in front of the wheel if you want that benefit. You can expect to use one of the cabintop winches to trim the main.

My take of this boat is that Bavaria has decided to take on Hunter in the USA as the boat of choice for buyers who don't know boats. You might better start with the catalina.

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-03-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2006

amirault is on a distinguished road
sailingfool:

Your coffin comment was exactly what the mate said about the aft cabin on a Bav33 we viewed (outside of price range). The PHRF comment does get me thinking, as my current rating has left me disadvantaged in the mostly light air Thursday races.

The cast iron keel issue is one I live with now, and if the boat were otherwise right, it is one I would solve by doing keel prep and cover right the first time; before first splash. This problem is less of a bear in the local Ontario fresh water than in more salty seas.

I have already viewed the Hunter 31 and although I was impressed with the arch traveller arrangement, there wasn't a family member pleased with the interior furniture dimensions or fit and finish of the sample on display and no one liked the stroud arrangement ease reducing movement forward. We have discounted it.

I am left with a problem. We want everything a three cabin hull has to offer, but have a two cabin budget. Catalina will also be in Boston, so I will give it a more careful look when we're down. Compromise is the resolution process which ensures all participants are left mildy dissatisfied. That may prove to be me. Compounding matters are the size draft restrictions in place at our current location. I cannot solve these by taking my money and getting more boat for less on the used market.

Decisions, decisions..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.