Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
One of the limiters is whether you can handle the weight of the sails. For single handling, you really need a roller furler for the jib and either lazy jacks or a furler for the main. However, the real issue is when they tear or jam or you need them down for an emergency. At best, we can only drop ours and lash them to the deck or lifelines. Fortunately, we have room between the boom and cabin top to get the main down, but not all do. It takes two people and calm winds at the dock to properly flake and fold them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2011

Charlie B is on a distinguished road
Thanks John and Minnew,
All great ideas to consider! I sure can relate to throwing the jib over by hand when jibing, as I hate surprises! I understand a larger boat would require more thinking and less muscle. But as I get older, I assume will be a natural progression.

So to sum up thus far; would I be dreaming to think in terms of single handing a forty five footer with roller furling, lazy jacks and auto pilot? Would I be smarter to go with a yawl rig? I'm still thinking the limit might be a forty footer.

By the way, while I'm only dreaming after all, lets make it a Hinckley!

One last thing; Why are some people so concerned about the age of the post? If we are enjoying it, does it matter if it's twenty years old?
Old 11-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I know a guy that single hands a 44 ft boat, it's all in how she's rigged and how proficient the skipper is. Find one you like and see if they will let you take the sails down by yourself on the dock. That will answer your question.

As far as replying to old posts, it's generally advised to start a new one if you would like to discuss a topic. However, anyone that wants to resurrect an old thread that contains information relevant to the discussion they would like to have is fine by me, but most seem to be done by new members by accident. If intentional, one can put a link to the old thread in your new one.

You will note, however, that this thread was resurrected by answering someone's question that was asked 4 years ago. That is a common newbie mistake, as they arent used to seeing when the post was made to know that their answer isn't relevant to the inquirer anymore. In fact, the original poster, whose question was being answered, hasn't even been signed on the forum since Dec '07.

I would agree that some get their shorts too tied up in a knot over this, so hopefully, those of us that point it out do so in a constructive tone. This supposed to be a fun place.

Edit: I coincidentally stumbled upon an example. Here is a new member's first post ever, responding to a request for deliver crew from 18 months ago. That ship has sailed.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...er-wanted.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 11-15-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Found example
Old 11-15-2011

Charlie B is on a distinguished road
I'd love to talk with the guy on the 44 footer!

But you have brought up a very good idea to try handling the sails first, if possible.

Do you ever single hand yours? Is it a 54' Jeanneau?
Old 11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
I'd love to talk with the guy on the 44 footer!

But you have brought up a very good idea to try handling the sails first, if possible.

Do you ever single hand yours? Is it a 54' Jeanneau?
Yes, it is a 54' Jeanneau. I have single handed my boat, sort of. For giggles and practice, I've taken her out, set sails, tacked, jibed, etc. However, my wife has actually been aboard and there, for when I've had enough. We've practiced single handed emergencies, but the best we would do with jammed or ripped sails is drop them and lash to the deck. We have every line coming to the cockpit, but the cockpit is fairly large, so getting from the helm to the lines coming through the cabin top organizers is an exercise. The autopilot better be operative. Both the main and head sail are each on furlers as well.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-15-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bene505 hangs out here at times. He singles his 50' boat.

The dude is very cool. He didn't even get mad when I drank all his booze.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Zanshin is another on here that SH's his boats. He should be taking delivery of a jeanneau 57 any day if he has not already. His was in Annapolis as the sales boat.

Marty
Old 11-16-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
I realize that the original post was years ago, but now that you are discussing the limits to single-handing, I thought I would chime in. I started with a Catalina 30 as my first boat, which I single-handed all the time with no problems. My current love is a Catalina 36. She is a lot more boat than the C30 was, but still managable single-handing. I do have a headsail furler, Dutchman reefing on the main, an auto-pilot, and all lines led to the cockpit, so she is set up for it.
Anyway, the key to single-handing any boat is to do it, a lot, in all conditions. I get better each time I take her out and have been in 35+ winds by myself. I know, probably not too smart, but definitely doable. The problem that I found with big winds was when I wanted to furl the sails. Much more work, but man did she fly!

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 11-16-2011

captainheidi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
MDbee yes we know. but we were responding to captain Heidi

Yes, now I know. I'll just be over here..........
Old 11-16-2011

captainheidi is on a distinguished road
I COULD single hand my boat. However, the being fast and thinking ahead thing is not very relaxing. Because you have to think of everything...and ahead, prepare for the worst etc. I single handed a 40' boat. It had power winches, self tacking jib, in-boom furling, autohelm with a little remote you can wear around your neck to offset rudder angle if needed. I felt damned near relaxed on that boat.....except coming into the slip. My boat does not come with these "labor saving" devices. I do have Autohelm. But If i have to dump the main in a sudden 42 kt gust then I have to get my leg around the wheel (or jump up on the cockpit seats) and move forward to the mainsheet in a cam cleat near the companionway. When I single hand a small boat, it just plain feels manageable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.