Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011

Charlie B is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for such wonderful responses!

I am starting to get it. (I think) You can handle a lot, but how badly do you want to?

In the future, I plan to do some winter live-a-board sailing, if all goes well. I'll have my wife with me to help take the helm, but I hate to count on her always being able, as she is handicapped. The trade off in more work for a larger boat seems like a trade I'd be up for. So at this point, I'm still dreaming of a 40' Hinckley. (maybe a bit larger)

In the meantime, I couldn't be happier with my Morgan 24/25. (she swells to 25', when she wants to impress the other boats)

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I've got one word for you, anchoring.
Your single handling your 45 foot boat the engine dies you have no windless and you have to strike the sails and drop the hook.
Your going to be busy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Dare I say, if your heart is set on living aboard a Hinckley, you need a bigger version to accommodate your required living space? I love the lines and quality of a Hinkley (and it's logo gets attention at the marina), however, maximizing living quarters per foot of LOA is not their value proposition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-17-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I think we should keep this post going until the OP gets back from her 4 year cruise.

I my opinion, the limit to single handing a large boat is what will happen when things go wrong. Can you hold the bow line when wind starts blowing her off the pier? Can you get a couple hundred feet of chain off the bottom if the windlass fails? Can you get that huge genoa down in a sudden squal? Realize, this really is just opinion. Some feel uncomfortable relying on the mechanical things things that surround us on big sailboats. Some are more worried about the large sea in a small boat. It is all priorities.
Old 11-17-2011

williamkiester is on a distinguished road
Dear Susan,

I just bought an Allied Luders 33. I think that could be a great boat for you, especially if you are already familiar with it. I love ours, and feel good about singlehanding it. I have a partner in the boat, and I can say for sure that that made a huge difference when we hauled the boat. Two people flushing the systems, cleaning up, and covering it and worrying about it worked well and made me more comfortable that I had all my bases covered. Also expensive repairs get 50% cheaper.

The Luders is pokey, but easy to handle, rock solid and they can be surprisingly affordable. In fact, you should look at the all the Allied boats, which tend to run on the cheaper side of things but are still very able. I see Seawinds for under $30k (I don't know much about them).

My partner, who is saltier than I, says, the key to a good partnership is not sailing with your partner. We divide up the time and when it's your turn with the boat, you own the boat.

Also if you think you will be singlehanding a lot, get a good auto pilot. I use that much more than I thought I would, even with crew aboard. But it's great for running up and setting the sails or untangling a situation if there's a problem. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road
single Mom, Single Hander Single Paycheck

So, I'll chime in 'cause I just got back from a little single handed cruise that highlighted for me the virtues of "go small go now". I live aboard a much modified Pearson Vanguard (Insulated above the waterline, refrigeration, solar, furler and a few other upgrades).

Its winter sailing season here in New England, so I went out in twenty five knots of breeze and cruised to a barrier beach and hung for a couple of days. Needed one reef in the main and then the helm was well balanced. The estuary has a very shallow bar-went aground oh...fifteen times trying to bump my way out on a rising tide-full keel kept me upright-fin would have been uhmmm-problematic. In my boat it was a gentle thump, thump thump all the way out. I don't have a windlass yet, setting and raising anchor is so much easier on a thirty two footer. The autopilot draws little power and its oversized for the boat-but still the least expensive one the manufacturer sells.
When problems arise on my boat at sea the maxim "little boat, little problems" seems to apply. I've single handed all along the New England Coast and many who have gone MUCH further in these little boats. For those of us on tight budgets and able to do the necessary work ourselver\s (I actually enjoy doing the work on my boat) they can be a viable albeit anachronistic approach to getting out there.
Just one guys opinion.
Jim
Old 11-19-2011

Minnew,
Your Hinckley thought is a very good one. But it makes me think of a woman comparison. Would you rather have one that's a great cook or incredibly sexy? I don't know about you, but I'd eat Pop Tarts for "sexy".

Barquito,
I'm with you on keeping the post going. We should track down the original poster and get her back here to face to lot of us!
Old 11-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
Minnew,
Your Hinckley thought is a very good one. But it makes me think of a woman comparison. Would you rather have one that's a great cook or incredibly sexy? I don't know about you, but I'd eat Pop Tarts for "sexy".
There are sexy women who can cook. Don't settle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-19-2011

I know, I am very lucky to have married one! Plus she's "fair"!
Old 11-20-2011

petmac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Dare I say, if your heart is set on living aboard a Hinckley, you need a bigger version to accommodate your required living space? I love the lines and quality of a Hinkley (and it's logo gets attention at the marina), however, maximizing living quarters per foot of LOA is not their value proposition.
How much space does one need ?