Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006

neophyte2006 is on a distinguished road
mildew

My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat. We started working with a broker in the great lakes area. He only had 3 boats in the 30-34 ft. range for us to see.All were1982-1986, Catalinas and others. 30k-35k range

All of these looked pretty beat. All had exterior wood that was completly exposed from wear , decks were yellowing, and the interior on all looked trashed. Cushions worn out and all with bad mildew smells. Both my wife and I have asthma. How easily can the mildew smell be eliminated? And am I expecting too much from an 1986 boat?

Great site! I'm learning alot. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Clorox or white vinegar wipedown will get rid of mildew on hard surfaces; you'll have to be vigilant or it'll recur (humid environment, obviously). If you're very sensitive you may want to factor the cost of replacing the upholstery into your offer price. Keep your boat ventilated and keep air moving will help. My gut feeling is that those prices are too high for the condition you describe; you might want to broaden your search somewhat or make lowball offer. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Eryka's suggestions on clorox or white vinegar are good, lysol also works fairly well to help prevent mildew from returning.

However, the real thing that is necessary is ventilation and preventing water intrusion. Without proper ventilation, nothing will prevent mold/mildew from recurring. If the boat is tight and well-ventilated, there is little chance for the mildew to take hold. If you have leaking deck fittings, chainplates, weeping throughhulls, and no ventilation, then there is no chance of preventing mold and mildew. Even if the boat is 100% watertight, as mine is, ventilation is still key. The heating and cooling of the boat caused moisture to settle out inside the boat unless the air is circulating. Hot air, when the boat is heated during the day, holds a lot of moisture, and then as it cools, a lot of the moisture will settle out into the boat, unless the air is moving and replaced with cooler air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Keep looking, it is possible to find boats that are well cared for. There is a huge difference in conditions of boats. We recently sold our 1978 boat and are having a very difficult time finding a newer boat in as nice a condition. Most recent was a 1997 that I couldn't believe could be so poorly cared for. You can clean and redo all the cushions, but it is difficult or near impossible to clean the mildew out between the hull and liner in most of these boats.
Old 09-04-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The best way to get rid of mildew is to remove ALL cloth and upholstery from the boat. The cushions can go out for professional cleaning (they steam right through them) or if they are that old, it is probably worth replacing them outright with new. If there's a headliner, it needs to come down.
Bleach rinsing all over the interior will kill mildew, but it will come back if the boat is not keep dry and ventilated. About the only way I know to assure that is to install the solar vents, which will do a better job than leaving open anything else.
Remember, you don't want to get rid of the mildew SMELL, you need to get rid of the mildew itself, then the smell will also go away. Once you've got it as clean as you can, you might want to close up the boat and run an ozone generator in it for a week or two. The ozone will penetrate every space and kill the rest of the mildew. Concentrated ozone also isn't good for human beings and it makes rubber and plastic brittle after extended contact, so you'd want to do that as a one-shot and then use something like ArmorAll on all the plastic afterwards, to counteract some of the damage.

There are also mildecides and "quaternary" (sp?) agents that will prevent mildew from coming back, but if you keep it well ventilated you shouldn't need them.
Old 09-04-2006
Boat Lover

jswwrites is on a distinguished road
mildew hater

Mildew is one of my biggest hot buttons, living in the South. HATE IT. ugh. Obviously, ventilating is the main key, but even that won't cut it here. One has to go on the offensive...!

3M has a great mildew remover product. I wouldn't use it on cloth or wood, but it's great on fiberglass, vinyl, and I just used it on our deck furniture and umbrella with great results. They also have a product to help prevent mildew, after you've gotten rid of it. On wood (where it does grow down here in the humidity!), you can use a bleach or vinegar solution, or even the 3M product if you get it off in the time it says. A stiff brush and mild bleach solution are probably best, though.

For upholstery, if your cushions are in OK shape (after cleaning), you can get a moisture barrier put on the foam (what they do for outdoor cushions for your home). You can also use Sunbrella fabric to slipcover, which can be thrown in the wash with bleach a hundred times (even the colored stuff) and come out looking great. I had 2 couches covered Sunbrella, one white, one white with green stripes, when my kids were little and dogs were shedding, and they looked great way longer than the couches held up! We will be redoing all the cushion upholstery in our Newport 33 this fall, and I will be using 100% Sunbrella with wrapped foam inserts.

Good luck!

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
Kate Chopin
Old 09-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
jswwrites-

It would be nice if you could tell us what 3M product you're recommending.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-21-2009

Fidelity is on a distinguished road
Mildew - New Upholstery

Has anyone noted major mildew problems with Ultrasuede?
Old 10-17-2009
VMG'r

ElMysterioso is on a distinguished road
You might be in trouble, any mildew will eventually disengrate Ultrasuede.
Spots will darken then weaken. Maybe try sealing it with ScotchGuard.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009

Biker7Sailor is on a distinguished road
Severe Mildew/moisture/condensation

Have had severe condensation and therefore mildew problems on my 28 Hunter. Hopefully, I got rid of the mildew/mold by lots of cleaning and the liberal use of an ozone generator. Now to the source of the problem....condensation on the underside of the deck. There are no other sources of moisture...bidge is bone dry.

I do have 2 nicro solar/battey ventilators and I will replace the batteries but........
After extensive research, I see that there are 2 theories about eliminating condensation and mildew.
1. First idea is massive ventilation..equalizing moisture between in/out resulting in no condensation. Lots of flowing air.
2. Second idea is humidity reduction via: chemical absorbers, light bulbs, heaters, dehumidifiers..resulting in a dry boat.

Are these conflicting ideas. Does one work better than the other. Is it better to seal up and dry the boat, or ventilate it???