SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cost of hauling

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JoeA 
#1 ·
What is a rough estimate for a cost to haul a 40' boat for a survey? I know the cost of a survey, but I assume a buyer pays the hauling costs. What would that be? I assume the cost for hauling for painting each year is about the same. Any thoughts? I am in North carolina, so there is a competitive environment..

#2 ·
In Texas, my haulout for survey, which included power washing the bottom on a 32' boat, was $208. This included a free haulout within 30 days. And yes, buyer pays for haulout for survey, unless otherwise stated in the offer.

Regards,

#4 ·
Skipper Bob's guide for Marina's along the ICW only lists 5 yards, because they are ones that allow "do-it-yourself" work. Here's the info:

Sailcraft Service, mile 181.0, $6/ft haul, $0.83/ft block, $20/day

Deaton Yacht Service, mile 181.0, $5/ft haul, $1/ft block, $45/day

Bock Marine Builders, mile 195.8, $4/ft haul, $2/ft block, $27/day

Jarrett Bay Boatworks, mile 197.3, $6/ft haul, $0/ft block, $54/day

Swan Point Marina, mile 246.8, $7.75/ft haul, $1.15/ft block, $18/day

You'll have the haul, and the launch, so double... hopefully you wouldn't need too many days on blocks for the survey. Good luck!

#7 ·
Just went through this myself. In Jamestown RI

$11/foot for a short haul, in slings 1hour and relaunch.

$16/foot for a haul where they cradle it for 24 hours to dry the boat long enough to get meaningful moisture meter readings. Avoids false positives.

$41.50/foot Haul, bottom pressure wash, storage outside, and relaunch in the spring.

These were quotes on a J/40.

#8 ·
Here's an idea that might save you a few dollars, at least it saved me. When I bought my Cat 36 I went through the boat thoroughly to make sure I was happy with everything. Then I arranged the survey which happened in 2 parts. First he went through everything while in the water and when that checked out OK I arranged the hauling. I had the deal ready to seal based upon the other inspections, so when the hull, keel, etc checked out OK, I immediately signed the deal and had the yard do some preventive maintenance (serviced the thru-hulls, fixed a few blisters, etc). It only cost me a day of yard time and I got to take advantage of the haul/launch that I had to pay for anyway. It felt good knowing that I wouldn't have to haul it again for a while.

Mike

#9 ·
Just had a survey done in Rock Hall, MD. $14.00 a foot. The rate here in the Philadelphia, PA area is slightly higher at $ 17.00 a foot.

The boat I was looking at was already winterized and "on the hard." The Rock Hall, MD rates is normally $ 210.00 for launching and the same for putting it back. $ 140.00 for the dewinterizing and the same for rewinterizing (engine, water tanks, hot water heaters). Since the launch and return was for a survey, and they were only dewinterizing/rewinterizing the engine they quoted me a rate of $500.00.

I have not seen the bill yet as sea trial was yesterday but, I expect the same actual rate as the quoted rate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.