Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006

fade is on a distinguished road
Questions about trailers

I have been offered a Hunter 25 in excellent condition for free. However, it does not have a trailer. I would really like one, but I cannot seem to find much information around the web about trailers alone. They always seem to remain firmly paired with a boat. There are custom builders, but I can imagine that those trailers are quite pricey. A little research reveals to me that the average cost of the boat I have been offered and similar boats is around 1500 - 1800 dollars in this area. Often, these boats have trailers with them. I can imagine that one of the custom trailers probably comes close to that price as well, making the idea of a "free" boat a little less viable. At some point, I would be better off buying a boat that was already trailered or at least paired with a trailer.

Is there some resource I haven't tapped? Are the custom trailers less expensive than I envision? I'm quite handy: can I build one safely? There are enough photos around the web to design from.

A quick search through the forum shows me that trailer questions often get no replies. Is this because there is some trailer resource here that I've missed?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
The trailer for my father-in-law's 21-foot sailboat was stolen. He replaced it with a "Highlander" boat trailer he bought from a trailer dealer.

You could also build your trailer -- there is a book "How to Build Boat Trailers" by Glenn Witt: http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodi...number=300-061

Here are a couple more resources:

Trailer Sailor Website and Discussion Forums: http://www.trailersailor.com/

A note on building or buying a small boat trailer: http://www.windmillclass.org/builders.html#trailers

Good Luck,

Tim
Old 09-06-2006
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
When I was in the process of buying my Grampian I did buy a new trailer
fot it from Loadmaster Trailers in Port Clinton OH.
go to -> http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/s...t_trailers.htm

The trailer that I purchased is their model pointed toward 26-28 foot
sailboats (10,000 lb load cap. ) with bunks and a tongue extension, all
wheel brakes.

The cost was in the neighborhood of $4800.00.(2004) Which I figured
would be recovered, after a few years, by not having to pay marina
winter storage fees.

I would be most willing to answer any questions that you might have
about any part of this process.

The only relationship that I have with loadmaster trailers is that of a
happy customer.

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I have often said that the most you can expect when buying a boat is to get what you pay for.

I think that rule applies even when the boat is free - it's free simply because it isn't worth anything. I suspect when you finish understanding what you are being given, after factoring in the cost of a trailer, adding some good sails, a satisfactorily operating engine, missing lifejackets, or who knows what other gear - whatever this boat doesn't haveor has but doesn't work or needs replacement, let alone any real repairs like aged rigging - that you can save serious money by instead paying $3,500 for a complete, maintained "needs nothing" version. A free boat can turn out to be just too expensive, the same is true of any boat well below market value. IMHO both are red flags to look elsewhere, ESPECIALLY if you are not extremely well versed in boats.
Old 09-06-2006

Actually, this boat is well-maintained. It's being given to me by a friend who simply no longer has use for it. I have a good bit of boat experience, and I recognize the condition of this boat. It's the reason I want to find a trailer for it, rather than spending money for a different boat. Generally, I would agree that one gets what one pays for. However, I think there is often (though not always) an exception in the case of friendly transfers of ownership.
Old 09-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In that case, you might want to see if the manufacturer, Hunter, has trailers for sale. They would probably sell you one, and it may turn out to be less costly than buying one yourself, as the economies of scale work in their favor.

My question for you is what do you want the trailer for? Do you intend on keeping the boat on a trailer and taking it to various lakes, bays, etc or do you just need it to transport the boat to the marina you'll be keeping it at? Do you want to store the boat on the trailer for winter storage??

If you plan on keeping the boat at a marina, in a slip, which makes it far more convenient to sail...then you may not need to get a trailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-06-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you plan on keeping the boat at a marina, in a slip, which makes it far more convenient to sail...then you may not need to get a trailer.
Yeah, there are many boat haulers around with adjustable hydraulic trailers who could move your boat for you.

If the boat doesn't have a trailer now, what does the current owner do for moving and storage?
Old 09-06-2006

It seemed to me that the cost of moving a boat each season would outweigh the cost of a trailer (which is the only way I have done things in the past), making a trailer more financially feasible. But then again, it seems to be next to impossible to find a quote around the web for moving the boat. If I do find one, it's something obscure like "$8/linear foot". What is that for? Each hour? Each mile (I certainly hope not)? The current owner has the boat moved from cradle to water each season. He couldn't recall an exact cost, saying only, "It's going to cost you."
Old 09-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fade
It seemed to me that the cost of moving a boat each season would outweigh the cost of a trailer (which is the only way I have done things in the past), making a trailer more financially feasible. But then again, it seems to be next to impossible to find a quote around the web for moving the boat. If I do find one, it's something obscure like "$8/linear foot". What is that for? Each hour? Each mile (I certainly hope not)? The current owner has the boat moved from cradle to water each season. He couldn't recall an exact cost, saying only, "It's going to cost you."
Depends on your marina. Some marinas include the cost of putting the boat in the water and hauling it out at the end of the season in their storage fees. As I said earlier...it really depends on what you want the trailer for. If you plan on storing the boat on the hard, in your back yard or driveway, then getting a trailer definitely makes sense. If you're storing it at your marina...then, maybe not.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-07-2006

Thanks. I really would like to keep it in my yard, to perform spur of the moment upgrades and repairs. It's my "thing". I can't even begin to imagine how much winter storage at a marina would cost. Probably quite a bit.

Thanks for the help. Like I said, I have a fair bit of boating experience, but for larger boats, it's all motorized. My sailing experience is with dinghies, sunfish, sailfish, and lasers. No real hauling and storage issues there. That part's all new to me.