Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Ebay How to show and close a boat sale?

Ebay How to show and close a boat sale ?

Help! What is the Best way to show sell and close a Boat Sale?

Bombard the potential buyer with Lots of info? Buddy up?

Just Listed a 1988 Cal 33 that I used on a Caribbean voyage.

My first boat and never sold a boat before. Any suggestions?

Please share your experiances........

Chuck clcjr54@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
In previous threads people have suggested using a broker. The cost of the broker is usually covered by the higher return you'll get for your boat. A broker looks after things like advertizing, showing the boat, posting it on the internet etc. Most inquiries about boats are now coming from people seeing them on the internet.
Old 09-10-2006

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Chuck

I sold a 2 year old powerboat on eBay, got the "buy it now" price in 15 hours. I look at the eBay boat auctions often, and it seems to me that as far as sailboats go only the smaller cheaper boats actually sell. I think many people are just "running it up the flagpole" with the bigger boats; it's only $40 to list any vehicle. There was a spectacular S&S Tartan 46 on there about a month ago that got a bunch of comments and questions but no bids, which is sort of typical. I think people take one shot on eBay, if it doesn't sell then it's time for a broker.

That said, what worked for me is lots and lots of photos, and a very detailed listing (synthetic crankcase oil changed every 50 hours, etc.) Pretty much the same stuff that catches your eye on Yachtworld.

It also didn't hurt that some guy was looking for a boat similar to what I had listed and got outbid on one a week earlier.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

Gary
Old 09-10-2006

hoppy is on a distinguished road
Chuck,
Do you have pictures, specs posted? Would be interested in taking a look.
Hoppy
Old 09-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, shouldn't post duplicate threads, it's bad netiquette.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2006

Ebay what a great Resonse on my 1988 Cal 33

So far I've had 950 people view my auction! in 5 days.
Wow that just blows me away! 38 people are tracking!
I think having a $500 deposit doesn't scare buyers.
Most boats have a $2000 deposit I think thats too steep.
Old 09-12-2006

Chuck you have had no bids. People kicking tires means nothing. I don't know what you're reserve bid is. I do know that it's more than $40K, but just to give you and idea where it should be. 1988 Cal 33s are selling for $59K-$60K on Yachtworld.com , so you'll need to get $55 or better or you have been better to list it. I point this out because I personnaly would not buy a boat on eBay and so I wouldn't list one on eBay either. If I think this way there are numerous others who think this way as well. It has nothing to do with the $500 dollar deposit, either.
Old 09-13-2006

jflowers is on a distinguished road
I agree that the deposit is of little consequence. I just listed my Hunter 37-cutter on Ebay with disappointing results. About half the real value (9/06 survey: $43,700) although on a 10 day listing with a lot of promotion outside Ebay (25 websites including my own http://www.buymyboat.net) there were more than 8000 visits, 138 watchers and 12 bids.

I think ebs001 has got it right. It is difficult for anyone to gather all the information and come around to the decision to pay tens of thousands of dollars on Ebay and most of the lurkers are just that - lurkers. So the real market that is addressed by an Ebay offering are the buyers who are willing to pay only a fraction of the real price for the risk of buying through Ebay.

FWIW, although located on lake Eire in Sandusky, OH, my bids were from Seattle, WA, Washington DC, Houston, TX, North Carolina, Florida and even St. Thomas USVI so looking at a $6K - $10K shipping cost.

Interestingly, the only SCAM offer came from the US Boat ad. Buyers father and law buying for their wedding present - big check - return the balance via Western Union. Argggggh!

Ebay is a fantastic market and I have had great transactions buying some things at 10 cents on the dollar and selling other things for more than they cost me 15 years ago. It just doesn't work for high-ticket items.

To verify this for yourself, log on to your Ebay account and review all of the completed auctions for sailboats on Ebay motors. Very few bidders ever exceed the reserve price and there are, therefore, very few sales.

All that said, you can't beat the exposure for a $65 cost. And - maybe the lucky buyer will have been influenced by the Ebay auction.
Old 09-14-2006

I priced my boat 10 K under market value on Ebay

EBS001 Your numbers are right. 1988 Cal 33's sell for 59-60K. My Reserve is less than 50K

I priced my boat 10 K under market value on Ebay

EBS001 You are right I really don't think that many boats are sold on Ebay. I think after the auction the Lurkers feel more comfortable without a
legal 3rd party pushing them along a expensive transaction and visit the boat.

However I'm looking for exposure and I'm getting it!

I priced my boat by your numbers 10K under market and I guarantee there
isn't another boat with these many recent improvements.

That said I've not met many brokers who work hard and know the product
they are selling. On principal I'd rather sell Fairwinds for what I need out of her and properly market the boat. clcjr54@hotmail.com

Last edited by chuck711; 09-14-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2006

I took a look at your auction on ebay and I agree your price is a good deal. You have identified the problem, how do you get exposure? These days the internet is the number 1 source people use to find boats to buy and the main way to the internet is through brokers. There are many good hardworking, knowlegdable brokers out there. There are also bad ones. Maybe try asking for recommendations for your area.
There are web sites that handle private sales too. I found one, I'm sure there are more, in a google search I did. It is www.boatsdepot.org/. Gives you another option. Also Cal may have a forum on which you can list.
Just some thoughts, good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.