Where to find a sailboat trailer? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kenr74
  • 1 Post By SHNOOL
  • 1 Post By eko_eko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2015 Thread Starter

Where to find a sailboat trailer?

I know this might seem a little rudimentary for most of you but I have a Gloucester 22ft Fractional Sloop w/centerboard and I am looking for a trailer for it. My thought was that I will save money putting it on the hard in the winter. My problem is trying to find a good used trailer that doesn't cost as much as my boat did.
Do any of you have suggestions for me on how to go about finding a good deal on a sailboat trailer?
Thank you for your suggestions
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2015

Re: Where to find a sailboat trailer?

From my experience, sailboat trailers are hard to come by. Check Craigslist, Ebay, etc... You are much more likely to find a powerboat trailer. If you can find one that can handle the weight of your boat, a bit of adjustment, and or some welding, and you will be set.
My tip for finding a trailer is to not limit your search to bare trailers. You are more likely to find a trailer with a derelict boat on it. I needed a trailer for a Chrysler 26 I bought. I found a cabin cruiser on a beast of a trailer with one blown engine for $800. I bought it, gave the boat to someone who wanted it for the good engine, and had a trailer. It has taken some adjusting to get how I want it, but I am very happy with it. The next cheapest suitable trailer I could find was over two grand.
Matt Reynolds likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenr74 For This Useful Post:
Matt Reynolds (12-05-2015)
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2015
4KSB driver.

I've bought and sold 3 sailboat trailers now, but then again, my boat has a round bottom with the weighted daggerboard up.

That being said, if you don't limit your location, and are willing to drive up to 500 miles, you likely will find one or 2 trailers that will work for you. Look for popular boats that are close to the shape of your boat, and search on those specifically on places like adhuntr.com (a search engine powered by google that searches craigslist)... So example might be searching for catalina 22 trailer.
A bigger trailer might work too, like a catalina 25 trailer.

finally look for a motorboat trailer with adjustable rollers... you may be able to extend the roller supports to get you the height you need.

Finally NEW trailers can be found in the $3000 range. Triad trailers makes some really nice extendable tongue trailers, with neat features designed for ramp launches ... YEAH you pay for it, but then it'll be safe, and new!
Matt Reynolds likes this.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2015

I bought my last one on craigslist. I just printed up a list of the nearest several trailers in my size and price range and drove to them. The best deal was on a powerboat trailer but the bunks were adjustable and the centerboard on my Siren retracted fully. No problem at all.
SHNOOL likes this.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
The Following User Says Thank You to eko_eko For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.