SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

36' Cabo Rico Tiburon

13K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kathleen@kathleentucker.c 
#1 ·
Hi there, my wife and I have spied a 36' Cabo Rico Tiburon for sale and her lines and spacious interior has really caught our attention.
We are from new zealand and are unfamiliar with this design.
Can anyone share their thoughts on this yacht with us?
We are looking for a boat to take us across oceans and live aboard.
How well does she sail?
Are there any common problems that are associated with these yachts? teak decks?
I have so far not found any reviews? Can any one point me in the right direction?
It has a perkins 4-107 40hp any comments?

Grateful for any help
Cheers
Mike

#3 ·
tiburon

I made my first offshore passage on a Tiburon 36, STARPATH. I sailed with the owner from mainland Ecuador to the Galapagoes, then on to Ixtapa/Ziahuat and on to peurto Vallerta. As I recall we made fairly decent progres on the passage, but she was no speed demon. She was however a sturdy and seakindly boat full keel and ketch rig. When winds piped up to gale force, she stood up well and handled better. We lost the auto pilot midway and had pleanty of hand steering and in hindsight I believe she tracked well. I know the owner had previously had problems with the hull deck joint which were solved, as well as the teak deck, which I belive were pulled, filled and renewed with teak set with adhesives. When I arrived at the boat it was in drydock having just affected repairs on the rudder around the post.
As to layout, I liked the pilot berth, and the aft cabin was fine for a 36ft boat. Engine access was good to starboard and forward, but I think it took some doing to get into the port side. The companionway to the aft cabin was basically a crawl through, with the alternative being a hatch opening just aft of the mizzen, which was nice for popping your head out to check on things. I really liked this boat, but keep in mind I am looking back on her to a time when I had very little experience several years ago, and I may be sporting rose tinted glasses...

Good luck!

Geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.