Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
What would you buy for $1,000,000?

Let's make this more interesting.

No jokes, other than what you’d buy after a few weeks of booze and broads. Please apply all your expertise and imagination to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
I would design and build a folded (origami) steel boat approx. 45' with lines kind of like those 36' Ericson cutters.(Flush deck forward, huge aft cockpit). Then I would call the remaining 500,000 my cruising kitty. Invested well (whatever that means these days!) and living frugally I would hope to not have to come back until I was to old to continue.
The only thing I would miss is the forums since sat broadband would not be part of the budget.
Old 09-21-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
since we're making out our Christmas wish list here goes.

a)deposit enough funds so the boy makes it thru college.

b)one tanning thong for the Cuban

c)Oyster/Hylas/Valiant/Cabo Rico/Hinkley/Swan, 42-55 ft, used... refit to suit.

d)take greyhound to the bay, get Surfesq drunk on cheap maddog 20/20 and buy a small condo from him, crate & barrel funishings.

e) deposit the remaining ten bucks in an interest bearing acct.

f) wave buh-bye to the strangers at the dock as I sail away to points unknown.

after 4 heart attacks, this is as serious as I get.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-21-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Though I would be tempted to get a Tartan 3400, if I didn't, I'd put as much into my present boat as I wanted, buy a dock somewhere like the Pamlico Sound, invest the rest, and spend the rest of my life not worrying about anything but the wind and tide.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2006
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Exclamation What would yu buy for $ 1 Million?

Depends on where you wanted to live, (either on the water or overlooking the ocean). If you wish to do some extensive bluewater ocean cruising, then there would be certain sailboats to consider: 48 Swan; 51 Palmer/Johnson sloop; or 49 Hylas sloop; Baltic 64 - all designed by Sparkman & Stephens. Or some favorite Robert Perry designs such as: 49 Cheoy Lee ketch. Maybe a Chuck Payne design of a Cabo Rico 59 or 46' Morris sloop. or a Britton Chance 50' Chance custom. Perhaps one of Ron Holland's better designs: 58' Choate ketch or 52 CC cutter. How would you handle a 60' Farr sloop or a 55 Contest CS by Doug Peterson? Or per chance an older Ted Irwin 52 ketch would do the trick. Or maybe be more extraviigant and blow some bucks on a 485 Oyster CC by Holman & Pye. Anyone of those fine vessels would satisfy my wishes for a good, seaworthy vessel. I would have a vacation home on the coast overlooking my sailboat in the bay. I would still drive my old '85 Park Avenue and not change by style of living - just hopefully live longer than anticipated. If I was lucky enough to win the $1 M in a lottery, I would take the payments over a 30 yr. pay out. [If I lived only 15 more yrs. I would get more payments than if I took 1/2 the jackpot immediately. ] Why let Uncle Sam have his share at once? He's like a bad wife who blows every dollar you give 'em.
Old 09-21-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
Amel Super Maramu - used (less than 10 yrs old).

Refit to suit.

Remaining $1 - hand to someone on my way out to points unknown.
Old 09-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
since we're making out our Christmas wish list here goes.

b)one tanning thong for the Cuban

c)Oyster/Hylas/Valiant/Cabo Rico/Hinkley/Swan, 42-55 ft, used... refit to suit.

d)take greyhound to the bay, get Surfesq drunk on cheap maddog 20/20 and buy a small condo from him, crate & barrel funishings.

e) deposit the remaining ten bucks in an interest bearing acct.

f) wave buh-bye to the strangers at the dock as I sail away to points unknown.

after 4 heart attacks, this is as serious as I get.
I guess I can see where CP has his priorities..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-22-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
My 'boy' graduated from a UC college last spring. Since then, he's shown no interest in finding a job or exerting any more energy than it takes to raise a fork or flip a remote control. (Please send any flames toward his mom -- I'm no longer living in the same house.)

I often wonder where he'd be if he'd been FORCED out into the real world instead of going to college, and I had just saved the money I spent on college and gave it to him when he finally got some traction.

... but, then, I digress.

More on topic: What if he crewed with some serious sailors instead? Would he be better off now? (Like I couldn't predict the response on a sailors forum.)
Old 09-22-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
He's only 16, so his focus isn't really on the water. Sure, I'd love for him to take a summer gig as a crew member but that just ain't in the cards. He's a capable sailor, and I'd let him singlehand any of my boats. He's into video games and wrestling. At 5'6" and 112lbs, there isn't much hope for him to be a grinder on americas cup

perhaps we should introduce him to some of those younger thong wearing cubans! (oh calm down, I'm not gonna, the cuban would have my entrails sun-bleached in a new york minute)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-22-2006

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I'd buy a 1 million dollar T Bill & keep my Cat 36.

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.