SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Long Island Sound - Ideal Draft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/2320-long-island-sound-ideal-draft.html)

thomsonjd 09-30-2001 07:30 AM

Long Island Sound - Ideal Draft

Being new to the region (but fairly experienced) I have asked a number of people for their advice - but get widely differing opinions regarding ideal draft for Long Island Sound.
I have a family of 4 (two boys) who have other sporting commitments on weekends and will be using the 35 - 37ft boat as follows:
day-sailing - probably 1 day each weekend plus 1 evening per week;
beer-can club racing - 1 evening each week;
weekend cruise - 2 - 3 per season;
extended (two week cruise) - once per season (Nantucket / RI etc);
Newport-Bermuda Race - dream!

Most marina''s in my location are dredged in excess of 8ft MLW so I generally won''t have a problem with the day sailing / evening racing etc if the boat I eventually choose has a draft of 6ft plus. However, not being very familiar with the cruising waters, I don''t know if I am likely to be very restricted re. overnight anchorages, gunk holes etc with that type of draft. Some I speak with think I will be severely restricted, others do not. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has extensively sailed Long Island Sound and its environ in a pattern similar to my intended use.

SHIMSHON 09-30-2001 12:24 PM

Spent 12 years day sailing and cruising in Long Island Sound and can count on one hand the number of times my 7'' draft might have been a problem-and I am probably exagerating by 4!

thomsonjd 09-30-2001 07:49 PM

Thanks. That''s very encouraging. Once I get my boat, I''d love to get further advice from you re best anchorages etc.
Jonathan

kimberlite 10-01-2001 04:39 PM

jonathan,
where are you located?
eric

kimberlite 10-01-2001 04:40 PM

shimshon,
where are you located?
eric

thomsonjd 10-01-2001 05:16 PM

Eric,
I am based in Fairfield County, Connecticut
Jonathan

SHIMSHON 10-03-2001 08:16 AM

kimberlite--currently we are in Maine at Robinhood Marina, Georgetown Island(just east of Bath and offof the Sheepscote River).
Use to keep the boat inStamford, Ct. Maine is an incredible experience if you are into cruising. Where are you located??

kimberlite 10-03-2001 07:41 PM

we are in huntington ny in the summer and red hook (st thomas) in the winter.
i sail back and forth.
eric

SHIMSHON 10-04-2001 07:05 AM

What type of boat do you sail?

kimberlite 10-07-2001 03:42 PM

i have a completely restored and orc1 ready tartan 37.
we were out today. great sail winds from the ne 30-35.
beautiful.
eric