Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
Pearson 32, 303 and 28, Tartan 30

Looking for a Chesapeake Bay cruiser, two people mostly will be sailing it. 20K ish. There seem to be a lot of Pearson 28,30, 303 and 32 available. Why are there so many and does anybody have any insight into the performance of these boats? The other one that seems to be good in that price range is the Tartan 30. What do you think? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Pearson made a lot of boats in those size ranges -- hundreds for each. For example, when you mention the P-32, do you also mean the P-323? Two different boats but will pop up as 32 footers in a search. Pearson made 4 versions of 28 footers as another example. The P-30 is one of the most popular boats on the bay. In other words, there are a lot for sale because there are a lot of them around.

You also have an eclectic group of boats. The P-30 is more performance oriented although lots of people cruise them. The 303 is almost a pure cruiser -- very roomy but a tad slow. The 323 is probably the heaviest built in the group and is up to some blue water sailing, but also is on the slow side. The Pearson I know the least about is the P-32. Only 113 of them were made according to Dan Pfeiffer's www.pearsoninfo.net. Supposed to be one at my marina but I am not familiar with it.

A friend sails a Tartan 30 and loves it. Tartan makes good, solid boats for the most part. No doubt the usual cast of suspects will chime in with opinions and suggestions for other boats to consider.

Disclaimer -- I've owned 2 Pearsons, currently a P-33-2. So if you want my opinion, buy a Pearson.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 09-23-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I almost bought a Pearson 28-2 this spring. Good Old Boat had a very favorable review of it, and I liked the set up. This is the last in the line of 28's and doesn't bear much resemblance to the earlier models.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2006

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
For couples cruising and fast and responsive sailing in both light and heavy air it's tough to beat the Tartan 30 in that price range. The accomodations are adequate for the period. there are two galley configurations, both have their advantages and disadvantages. We've taken weekend trips with another couple, a bit cramped but certainly tolerable. I don't think you'll find a better sailing boat in this size or price range, Olin Stephens knew what he was doing. Jim L
Old 09-24-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
thanks. Tartan definitely inspires confidence. Only possible drawback is many of them sport a gas engine vs. diesel. My bf says that is not neccessarily a drawback. And I like the one gally config much more than the other. I feel like I wouldn't want the gally stretching down the starboard side, I'd rather have the settee. does that matter?
Old 09-24-2006

NSsailor is on a distinguished road
Question Pearson 36

Any comments on the Pearson 36 fin keel boats built after 1985? Are they known as a stiff or tender boat? How is the build quality compared to a Beneteau?
Old 09-24-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
in my less than humble opinion..pearson makes a much better boat, although beneteaus are..well..uhm..less spartan below..(that's diplomatic i think)..
go with the pearson..they have been making quality boats for a long time..( the pedestal placement in the older 33s is weird, but other than that..) and the keel/cb config can be a bonus depending where you sail.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 09-25-2006

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
We have the starboard galley model Tartan 30. For the type of cruising we do it has worked out well. Meal preparation is definitely enhanced. However I think if I had a choice I would go for the rear galley for more versatility. It's easier for 4 to sit at the table and it gives you a good sea berth on either side for long passages. you do however lose a nice quarter berth and some storage under the cockpit. We ended up with the side galley because it was the boat in the best shape for the best price.
As far as the Atomic 4 engine, i would be more concerned about the condition of it, most of these engines are just about used up unless they've been rebuilt. the fuel tank should be very closely inspected also as the orginal is prone to deterioration. Jim L
Old 09-25-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
This just hurts. SOme dealer will spiff this thing up and make gobs on the sale.
http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...=610468&bhcp=1