Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
Pros/Cons Ericson 28

Hi, my bf and I are looking for a fast cruiser 25kish for ches. bay sailing. The Ericson 28 looks good. What do you all think? just started looking so any other suggestions in this range also appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
You might get a good response if you post this on the Ericson owners website (a search will find it for you). Lots of helpful folk there who can provide good information for you.
I don't know much about the 28, but I own an Ericson 30+, and love it. A well-built boat that sails really well; only shortcoming in my opinion is that it's a bit short on storage space, compared to some boats (e.g. Catalina 30).
Hope that helps.
Frank.
Old 09-24-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
i have been following your saga since ernesto came roaring up the bay and skewered your c&c..and am remined how random these events can be.
i had spent the previous year looking at boats prior to taking delivery of my 1990 sabre 30 on tuesday before ernie came bounding up from the south. i moved her from carters creek on the rappahannock down to horn harbor the next day (mostly in the high 6 knot range to hitting 7.6 at one stretch). that thursday was spent doing everything i knew to make her ready to weather the storm. the only thing i left on was the roller furled jib, and spent considerable time debating taking it down as well. i was lucky..my brother's morgan sank as did my sisters next door neighbors boat. my sisters sabre 34 rode out the storm well..that being said, considering the number of boats i looked at from annapolis down to charleston, i pretty much had my choices down to tartans, CC, sabres and pearsons.
there are a few sabre 28s and 30s, that might be in your price range. the boats are exceptionally well built and still fairly quick without sacrificing the requisite cruising creature comforts. if you want a real screamer, have you thought about a J/29? she's kinda slim on the creature comforts and if you don't mind tiller steering, then she might be worth a look.
as i have been laid up for the past 10 days after having a hernia repaired, i have followed your saga here (not much else one can do while immobilized, so i took to reading threads here and on SA).all in all i think you are far more cicumspect than i would have been had my baby become a piling kebab.
good luck with your search.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 09-24-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
thanks ss, and everyone else. Your list (sabres, tartans, cc, pearsons), is about identical to mine and the sabre is at the top of the list. The J 29 is worth looking into. We don't really need a screamer, just don't want a slug. Or mostly just want a well made boat. 7.6 huh? That sounds about right! glad you made out ok in the storm! Checked out a real nice pearson 32 today.
Old 09-24-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
cassie,
saw this boat and thought it might be worth a look..absent going to fl to look at her, she appears to be right in your price range.
not sure what part of the bay you reside in..but i have known my boat broker all my life.. bought my J/24 through him years ago and he found my new to me boat too.he sailed flying dutchmans w/ my brother and is a good guy..he lives in irvington va..so if that's in your neck O' the woods lemme know and i'll give you his name.
i think you are on the right track w/ the boats you are considering. no slouches/slugs there.
i'm thinking there has to be a better way to attach links..but as a noob here this is the best i could do...(wonder how come everyone else's links are one line..hmmm)

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...p%26is%3Dfalse

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII