Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007

captron400 is on a distinguished road
Catalina and Hunter (and others) have water ballasted sailboats that sail much better than the Macgregor. You can also get a keel boat with shoal draft as well - but obviosly not as low as a lifting centerboard, and with some trailerability problems. These would be a better choice for anyone who wants to "sail", or learn to sail, although I'd be leaning to a keel if you're in the beginning of the learning process.

If you'd rather mount a 50 hp outboard and motor the thing, then by all means do it. We have one around here where he never even bothered to erect the mast.

Ron
C400 #74 "Good Vibrations"
C250 #688 "Running Free"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2007

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
Find out what you can about the Macgregor, but I would recommend that you keep searching until you have narrowed it down to 4-5 boats. Each craft will present their own strengths as well as weaknesses or compromises. I am not sure the perfect boat truly exists, but with a little patience, research and honesty in what the boat will truly be used for, you have a great many choices available to you today both in the new and used markets. Good luck with your search...
Old 05-15-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
This is truly the thread that will not die.
Old 12-13-2007

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I didn't read all the post but most of them. I have been looking a a Macgregor 22 with swing keel. It's a 1978 model. Would this be a good boat to learn on or would a Clark San Jaun 21 be better. They are both priced the same and both have trailers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lostmt-

You really should start a new thread with your post instead of trying to hijack a post about a different boat. It's poor net etiquette to hijack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-13-2007

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Sorry I didn't realize the this was just about the 26. It was not my intention to hijack this thread. Just thought it was to learn more about the Macgregor. Think I'll find a more friendlier forum that this one seem to be.

Good bye.

Quote:
Catalina and Hunter (and others) have water ballasted sailboats that sail much better than the Macgregor. You can also get a keel boat with shoal draft as well - but obviosly not as low as a lifting centerboard, and with some trailerability problems. These would be a better choice for anyone who wants to "sail", or learn to sail, although I'd be leaning to a keel if you're in the beginning of the learning process.

Last edited by Lostmt; 12-13-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sorry to hear you feel that way Lostmt... the reason I was suggesting that you start your own thread, rather than hi-jack this one is that you'll generally get better feedback and more on-topic responses in your own thread.

The thread's title: "MacGregor 26 vs. ?" Pretty much says it is about the Mac 26...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-13-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Hmmmm.. remind me not to hire SD to be a customer service rep for me
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-13-2007
Telstar 28

Labatt-

I actually do customer service just fine... I just have a low tolerance for people trying to take shortcuts... and then whining about it when they don't play by the rules and get called on it.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-13-2007

codmander is an unknown quantity at this point
buy my power boat please