Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Now post your picture! It's a holiday tradition around here!
yeah, we feel more comfortable knowing what you look like as we're a tight bunch around here and regard each other as family. also we have a very poor member, "Manny" we call him, he collects member photos and will make a holiday card for you with your photo on it, really nice work i must say. he sits in a humid basement and runs an online website to feed his family and has dreams of owning a real sailboat someday...welcome aboard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2007

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Uspriate, I thought you were talking about me again. You can call me Danny cause I'm just like Manny only I live in a humid bus and run an online website to feed my family and have dreams of owning a real sailboat instead of the one sitting on top of my PC.

Happy Holidays All,
David

Sorry I hijacked it again.
Old 12-14-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmt View Post
Uspriate, I thought you were talking about me again. You can call me Danny cause I'm just like Manny only I live in a humid bus and run an online website to feed my family and have dreams of owning a real sailboat instead of the one sitting on top of my PC.

Happy Holidays All,
David

Sorry I hijacked it again.
Ahh, David, this thread has gone off topic so many times I think the only Hijack is getting it back on topic!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-14-2007

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Y -r-u-all

On a thread that started in 2001, bored Dog?
Old 12-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
RX...that's what started this whole thing! See post #94 and the Dawgs initial response to it!
Old 01-30-2008

Sundance78 is on a distinguished road
Red face Don't hate me for the revival

Hi folks,

I just joined the forum after reading this thread in its entirety. I found it on google, while looking for a Mac 26. I've owned a Mac 25 for about 2 years. I was pleased to hear that it was recently inducted into the sailboat hall of fame!

I've put a lot of energy, money and time into modifying her. The Comfort Rose has been everything I could ask for minus air conditioning. She has proven to be sturdy and stable. I'll tell you how I know.

The first 40 knot blow I weathered scared me, but it was also my first time to sail more than five miles from shore. Even after letting the squall surprise us, catching us offguard while sailing downwind and hooking the boom on the backstay, we were able to recover and point into the waves, during the worst of it. I was AMAZED to see my GPS read 10.5 knots with our main doubled over the mast and the boom's leach cleat hooked on the backstay, job flapping loosely, planing downwind!

My second blunder, affording a test of the Macgregor 25's toughness, was set into motion by missing the word BREAKERS on the chart as we planned our course. We ended up cutting across a vicious inlet, during an ebb tide with 10 to 15 knot winds from the sea. For nearly 3 hours I fought into the 6 and 7 foot waves. We slammed the bottom twice in a trough and yanged the keel cable, when we were lifted again. It took me 30 minutes to remember not to head straight into the breakers. The bow falling 6 to 8 feet into the troughs couldn't have been good for her, but her bilge still gets dryer the longer she sits in the drink. Even with a keelbolt, she only leaks from the top! I will never make the mistake again and was very happy to finally slip behind Egmont Key, but the Comfort Rose escaped a situation that destroyed two 50 foot sailboats and numerous powerboats, so told to us by our dockmaster the next day.

As to only receive criticism for reviving a thread and not for also hijacking, the prior paragraphs were to express my first-hand experiences with my Mac's heartiness. I'm looking for a Mac 26 because:
1. The 600lb keel on my current vessel puts a strain on our Jeep Cherokee, which hauled us from Texas to Florida and back in June '07.
2. I'm interested in the 20mph. Even 50 foot blue water vessels should run, sometimes, if they could. Katrina... Even the best captain has been caught with their pants down.
3. The two rudders are said to offer great maneuverability as well as maintaining control at a steep heel.
4. Does the 26X have a pop top? If not, is there full headroom without it?
5. If grounded, does the dagger board break or does it absord the impact/retract? The 25's keel simply pivots. (We hit a shipwreck at 2 am, 12 miles off shore in 15 ft. of water doing 6 knots. I swear I heard the keel beat out a steady rhythm as it bounced alond the railing of the submerged shrimpboat.) In that situation, I would hate to lose my dagger board or crack the hull in a 26.
6. Is there much storage in the 26X? The 26's aft berth takes the place of our primary storage in my 25. Is there much room to install a marine head with much water storage (Bad and good water )? Room for 4 batteries?
7. Lastly the most difficult question. Will the Mac 25 sails fit well enough on the 26? I have two mains, two foresails and a spinnaker. I'd like to keep three of them, if I sell the Rose.

I would really appreciate some info, if the advice and knowledge is out there. I'm looking forward to my membership at this forum. It seems like a wealth of experience. If anyone is interested in the Log of the Comfort Rose, chronicling her adventures and ours, visit: www sundancecsc com/mac25mods htm (Put dots where the spaces are) Our 6 week, 500 mile voyage dredging the coast of Florida is a good read for someone interested in what NOT to do.

If you made it this far, then I must say thanks for your interest and trudging this far. I'm looking forward to the replies reguarding the Mac26 vs. the Mac25.
Old 01-30-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the mac/venture 25 is a VERY different boat that the mac26x.
Thats ALL i'm going to say about a mac26x

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-30-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The new M26 M/X or a totally different boat. If ya enjoyed the Mac 25 as much as I enjoyed my little V-21, do yourself a favor and stay away from the later M26's.
Old 01-30-2008

MiracleMax is on a distinguished road
I belong to the San Jose Sailing Club, and we have several McGregor 25s, and 26Xs. I have a Catalina 250 Water Ballasted. After sailing with them all, I can tell you the 26X is not very good as a sailboat. It doesn't point worth a damn. It doesn't reach very well. It has too little sail area to go down wind very well. The 25s and I walk away from them every time.
It's also a very dangerous boat. One of the things they recommend you do when motoring is to dump your ballast. One of our members did that with a full cocpit, hit a wake, and turned turttle in the Alameda Esturary. The combination of the empty ballast tank, and the high cockpit filled with visitors, just flipped it.
1. You loose the keel, but gain a BIG motor, so weight wise it's about a wash.
2. I've never had an occasion where I had to run for it. Although the 26Xs were good at the raft-up to send for Ice.
3. They're fairly cheap rudders. The same guy who fliped his boat snapped one off going out of the gate. (Golden Gate that is)
4. No the 26X has standing head room. You pay for it however with large freeboard. It's comical to see one trying to get into a cross wind slip.
5. The centerboard pivots up into the hull.
6. Storage is fairly tight, from what I've seen. They filled most of the spaces with foam.
7. The mains are different, but may be adaptable. The Jibs look similar, and I'm sure you can use the spinaker, but I'm not sure you want to.

All and all your 25 is a better sailboat than the 26.
Bob.
1995 C250 WB #164
Old 01-30-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sundance78, nice account of dredging your way along the FL coast.

As others have pointed out the Mac 25 is not a comparable boat the the 26X. That said, the older Mac 26 "S" I sailed on was able to handle an ocean race (much like your 'Breakers' story) outside Fire Island Inlet with just an old 8HP motor pushing us over 10' waves. It sailed pretty fast (for it's size) on our way to NYC some 50 miles on the ocean. We then sailed it from NY City up to Yonkers as we forgot to put the 2 stroke oil in the gas can (oops!) tacking up the Hudson. Of course we had a rising tide to help us most of the way.
I am not a big fan of all the windage that the large freeboard presents but if you want to go 20 mph in a boat that has sails look into the 26X. These are not highly regarded by most folks here though but the Venture 25 seems to be fairly well liked and you've already got one. That said, would getting a bigger truck make more sense?

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.