Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
"2. I've never had an occasion where I had to run for it. Although the 26Xs were good at the raft-up to send for Ice."

You proably would have been better off filling it with ice and using it as the cooler!
Old 01-30-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
the Venture 25 seems to be fairly well liked and you've already got one. That said, would getting a bigger truck make more sense?
Yeah Baby!
just one quick note.
my dock bud has a 26x and he himself is a real Sailor, He says QUOTE FROM HIM "he hates the P.O.S. and cant wait to get rid of it, however it is decent enough to pull a skier. and the standing headroom is nice but the boat overall sucks as far as actual sailing goes". oh yeah, the 26x is for sale as he just upgraded to a Bene 32.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2008

Sundance78 is on a distinguished road
Thanks All

Thank you all very much for your comments. After everything I have read and heard, I think my Mac offers more safety and better sailing. I'll keep upgrading the Comfort Rose, making her my own. She has never failed me and even the engine survived a two minute submersion and still runs like a champ.

On a quick sidenote, has anyone heard of a generator driven A/C system installed on either the 26 or 25? I have a generator on the boat, already, and Florida's July weather is swelterring.
Old 02-01-2008

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Mcgregor 26

Good concept but a poor handling sailboat. I talked to one owner of two in our Marina and he said he originally paying $20,000 U.S. for this boat in canada. He spends alot of money on upkeep for a fairly new boat(5 years old). he said it doesn't handle well and he seems to regret buying it!! keep looking.
Old 07-15-2008

Eliduc is on a distinguished road
Interesting

I found it interesting that two of the people who replied advised the author to look at Catalina and Hunter 25's implying that their construction is superior to MacGregors. The Catalina wing keel carries over 1300 pounds of lead ballast which kind of compromises it as a trailer sailer. Unloaded the entire package weighs over 5000 pounds which would indicate a big block 3/4 ton pulling vehicle. Of course, that's not the case with their water ballasted models. Also, both the Hunter and the Catalina have sandwiched composite construction. The Hunter has a foam core hull while the Catalina has a plywood core deck with a balsa cabin top. I once looked at an older Colombia with a balsa core deck and cabin top. The deck had leaked around all the bolt holes and the cabin top around the hatches, swelling the balsa and causing a spiderweb of deep cracks on the ceiling of the cabin interior from front to back. The boat was unsalable. In contrast, the MacGregor is completely constructed of layers of hand laid fiberglass the way they used to do it. More layers of fiberglass are laid where the through deck bolts go. The decks are bolted to the hull, not screwed or riveted as with many of the competitors boats. Most of the production boat hulls today are constructed of short fiberglass fibers blown in a heavy mixture of resin. The end result is inferior strength and continuity. As many or more boats are damaged or sunk from running into underwater objects or being grounded as from capsizing, especially where I live. I once owned a Catalina 22 with a swing keel which I sailed off the Southern California coast. A slight hull shudder in light wind developed and I had the 22 pulled from the water. The entire keel was encircled by a crack, an expensive repair that I didn't trust. I sold the boat. For the few years I owned it the 22 had never been trailered nor had it been grounded or collided with anything. I have no idea if this was a common problem or not.

Everything with sailboats is a compromise with cruisers compromising speed for comfort and faster boats vice versa. I own a Morgan 33 O.I that we sailed 400 miles up the west coast from San Francisco to Coos Bay, Oregon. The boat is built like a tank and carries 5000 lbs lead ballast. We encountered 40 plus knot winds and twenty foot seas off Cape Blanco and the Rogue River reef which is known as a graveyard. To whoever it was that praised the Northwest coast as a sailing paradise I would inform him that the Northwest is a big place. Ninety mile an hour wind is not uncommon off Cape Blanco with occasional combined seas of more than 40 feet. On the three good sailing days a year there are still 10,000 crab pots with tether lines to snake around your prop. There are few good anchorages and no near islands. The Morgan is up for sale. As much as I love her she hasn't been out of the slip for over two years. The drive to the coast is 250 miles and with the price of gas we don't visit her very often. We have a 40 mile long lake near our house and several inviting mountain lakes nearby. My wife and I have decided we want to sail or swing on the hook in a secluded cove for a night or three. In the winter we can trailer to The San Juans or Channel Islands or even Lake Havasu or Lake Mead. The opportunities are almost endless except for blue water sailing of which there is precious little of off our coast, especially for two retired people. So, we sacrifice a little performance. We don't give a rats....We will be sailing on sun filled days or swinging in tranquility with margarita filled hands while 99.9 % of the sail boats in Charleston Marina (Coos Bay) will be in their slips. Two other things; Yacht owners, racers and magazine editors in particular can be and often are an insufferable bunch of snobs. (The "p" word comes to mind!) The bigger, faster and more expensive the yacht the more insufferable they often are. The last comment; A sailboat with a flat bottomed hull and a 50 horse engine in my view is a bad compromise. You have a slow motor boat with a mast affixed to it's deck. My advice is to buy a fast motor cruiser or a sail boat or one of each. None of you really touched on the older more conventional snail sail water ballasted MacGregor 26's with dagger boards or swing keels. It's a shame they quit making them. I am going to look at one this weekend.
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Eliduc-

I'd have to disagree with your statement that most production boat hulls today are made using a chopper gun.

Quote:
Most of the production boat hulls today are constructed of short fiberglass fibers blown in a heavy mixture of resin.
Most of the companies now know that a chopper gun makes for a heavy, weak laminate. Most of the ones I've seen in construction use cloth or roving, combined with mat. Chopper gun construction is old school, and far less common today than it was twenty years ago.

As for the sailing abilities of various McGregors. The older ones were essentially pure sailboats... and as such did fairly well IMHO. The newer ones are hybrids and really compromises in their performance as either sailboat or powerboat. The mast on the new 26 is about the same diameter as the boom on my 28' boat—which strikes me as rather pathetic. Exactly how is such a weak spar supposed to hold the sail shape in heavier winds—it doesn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents is see for yourself what small trailable boats are hard to find. That could mean that they are easy to maintain, sail good, or last. One of my past boats was a used 1967 Westerly Cirus 22. I sold it in 1983. The guy still has it and sails the Mobjack Bay of the Chesapeake. On the other hand, I found a 22 ft 1989 Catalina that was not sailed and sunk on land. There was no way to bring back since the water had frozen over five winters and cracked the hull. The one I am working on now is a 1976 O'Day 22 shoal, which was dirty, had been sunk by rainwater...but after clean up and mositure testing the hull is still sturdy.

Like said, new boats are nice..but let the other guy spend the boat units at West.

Good luck

Last edited by landlockvasailor; 07-16-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: delte double word
Old 07-17-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Is this the thread that won't die?

Started in 2001, revived in 2006, then a few months ago?

Please let it, and all Mac-26 threads, die and be given a proper burial. Then please leave them alone..
Old 07-17-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road

Please read post #114, @ U know what SD posted again at # 126
Old 03-01-2009

solarfry is on a distinguished road
Mac 26 purist hatred.

AFter reading many posts on this thread I have concluded that people that are sail purists hate the M25 on sight. They are full of prejudice against it as it being "not a proper sailboat". The owner love if just for that reason.

If I were to buy one I would listen to actual owners (making sure they were actual owners). I see this same argument betweent brands of center console motorboats. If you don't own a (contender, interpid, sea Vee) your boat i s worthless piece of trash.

To each his own.