Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010

itatae is on a distinguished road
The Macgregor 26c has a 6 foot long centerboard. It goes up inside the hull. The advantage is trailering and because the centerboard is relatively long, it does go upwind quite well - behaves like a big Dinghy. The disadvantage is that it is tender in its steering. If you have a long deep keel it is easier to keep a boat going in a straight line.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Rarely if ever is a new purchase a better deal than used epecially for what your're looking at. Boat depreciation tend to flatten out at the 5-7 year point. For the trailer sailer you're looking at you won't find much difference between new and used. With a used boat if you look around you'll find many boats with upgrades that will save you a lot.
Old 01-26-2010

ekmOntario is on a distinguished road
sailing performance vs.

I have often heard critisism about the sailing performance of the Mac 26. How would the sailing performance compare to the Siren 17 I currently own?

It's a great little boat, fun to sail, but waaayyy too small and has no organized storage so everything ends up in a big pile in the cuddy. I also get roasted by almost anything else that has a sail except in really strong winds.
Old 01-26-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmOntario View Post
I have often heard critisism about the sailing performance of the Mac 26. How would the sailing performance compare to the Siren 17 I currently own?

It's a great little boat, fun to sail, but waaayyy too small and has no organized storage so everything ends up in a big pile in the cuddy. I also get roasted by almost anything else that has a sail except in really strong winds.
Jeez this thread won't DIE!

Anyhoo I had a Siren 17 and it was slow but that was a function of the old sails not the boat. New sails would make your boat a lot faster! It has a very good SA/D ratio, it has as much sail area as my 2nd boat, an O'day 192. The O'day weighs twice as much.

I can't really comment on the sailing performance of the Mac26 as I've never been on one, I do know when I had my Siren I sailed past one or 2. Pretty popular boat around here.

Also, I have poked in and around both the Mac26 and the Hunter, neither is a very well finished boat but the Hunter seems to be better built. It's quite a bit heavier than the Mac, but it also has a puny rig. It's supposed to be a 27' boat but everything is a lot smaller and lighter than on my Hunter 27, a real 27' boat. Just looking at the rig I bet your Siren (with good sails) could sail circles around that boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 01-26-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
This thread will never die! The main reason is that most people do not take the time to figure out that there are 4 models of the Mac 26 ('S', 'D', 'M', 'X'). They are all similar in many ways but the main difference is that the M & X are the hybrid motorboat/sailboat models that can do 20 knots with a 50 HP engine on the transom. The other two can only handle a < 10 HP engine and the 'S' is a decent sailor in winds that are not too strong. I have sailed on the 'S' model and while it does not handle like a keel boat it can be fast and is extremely roomy down below 'tween decks - just no standing room.
I can't comment on the Hunter water ballast version(s) of the Mac as I have never been on one.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
If they don't specify, I assume they are talking about the only model they still build, or have built in the last 15 or so years, the M and X. I just checked their site, and that boat is amazingly cheap, if they also made a real sailboat for that price I would be willing to give them a little more respect. Catalina does, the Catalina 250 is similar, but a real sailboat, and more money but not a huge amount when you factor the Mac doesn't come with the engine at $20,000.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 01-27-2010

TimofBlindSquirrel is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs.

Wrecking Ball. I vote for the wrecking ball. My boat neighbor in Chicago had one and I went out on it once. Just once. I have sailed a ton of small boats. My advice...keep looking.
Old 01-28-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
This thread is so old it suffers Alzheimer's disease.
But for what it is worth, there are no shortage of boats to be assigned the 'wrecking ball' lots of junk out there and sailboats aside take a look at some powerboats since they comprise the majority of the boat market. They don't make them like they used to, they make them as cheaply as they can get away with. Go to a boat show and and just check out the latest powerboats, small or big and you will see how they cut costs.
Old 01-29-2010

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post

Also, I have poked in and around both the Mac26 and the Hunter, neither is a very well finished boat but the Hunter seems to be better built. It's quite a bit heavier than the Mac, but it also has a puny rig. It's supposed to be a 27' boat but everything is a lot smaller and lighter than on my Hunter 27, a real 27' boat.

Since the Hunter comparable to the Mac26 is intended to be a trailer boat, the rig is probably lighter to facilitate raising and lowering it frequently.
Old 02-10-2010

CaptinRedBeard is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you are a newbie like me. I've also looked into the 26m and 26x but after hearing two very different arguments like you I have decided to take another route.

Try to partner with someone who already owns a boat. Offer to pick up a portion of the monthly fee's in trade for use of the boat. this way you will get a true idea of what it really costs to own a boat, you'll learn a lot about sailing and what you like and dislike.

What I learned in my first year: When things get bad they get bad quick, The ocean is something to take seriously, small boats are fine for ocean passages if you are very experienced (which neither you or myself are).

I see that you are serious about researching the boats and I give you big props for being smart about it. Maybe post your area and your schedule and one of these nice sailers will show you the ropes, then you won't have to ask if the macgreggor is good, you'll be able to make your own decision.