Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010

slowpoke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to slowpoke
pearson 26 for sale

have you ever looked at a pearson?, i have a1975 pearson for sale great shape, with tender,g.p.s. plotter,vhs sounder, ankor etc 9000$
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
THis is a really bad idea. This could be easily construed as chartering the boat and would have serious consequences for the owner of the boat, since chartering a boat generally requires that you have a USCG captain's license and commercial insurance. If you were to do this and had an accident, the owner might find that their insurance was invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinRedBeard View Post
Sounds like you are a newbie like me. I've also looked into the 26m and 26x but after hearing two very different arguments like you I have decided to take another route.

Try to partner with someone who already owns a boat. Offer to pick up a portion of the monthly fee's in trade for use of the boat. this way you will get a true idea of what it really costs to own a boat, you'll learn a lot about sailing and what you like and dislike.

What I learned in my first year: When things get bad they get bad quick, The ocean is something to take seriously, small boats are fine for ocean passages if you are very experienced (which neither you or myself are).

I see that you are serious about researching the boats and I give you big props for being smart about it. Maybe post your area and your schedule and one of these nice sailers will show you the ropes, then you won't have to ask if the macgreggor is good, you'll be able to make your own decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-20-2011
Ensign

jhorus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sailinjay-
Just so you know, it is generally considered somewhat bad form on a forum to revive a dormant thread.
I disagree. I would rather see dormant threads revived than another thread opened up about the same thing. If it's still relevant, then it's topical.
Old 07-30-2011
Ensign

jhorus is on a distinguished road
ok that said, I am also debating a trailer sailer, and the Mac26 is high on my list. I tried sailing when I was in high school, and loved it. I always assumed the sailboats with cabins (like the Mac26) were super-expensive, so I just put it out of my mind until I discovered the website.

So now my wife and I are locked in a fierce debate: She loves the Yamaha 240SX, and I love the Mac26, and if I get the options I want on the Mac, both are about the same price!
Old 08-30-2011

Michael1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorus View Post
ok that said, I am also debating a trailer sailer, and the Mac26 is high on my list. I tried sailing when I was in high school, and loved it. I always assumed the sailboats with cabins (like the Mac26) were super-expensive, so I just put it out of my mind until I discovered the website.

So now my wife and I are locked in a fierce debate: She loves the Yamaha 240SX, and I love the Mac26, and if I get the options I want on the Mac, both are about the same price!
A Yamaha 240 vs. a MacGregor 26 is an apple and oranges comparison. The Yamaha would be fun for a short period of time, but I think the MacGregor would keep you interested in using the boat a lot longer. For one, you can actually go places, and stay overnight in the MacGregor. It's also going to handle less favorable sea conditions better. Motoring gets boring after a short period of time, but sailing can keep your interest for hours, days, years, given all the optimization you can occupy yourself with. There's much more to learn, even after years of sailing. You should also consider the cost of gas, and whether that might be a disincentive to use the boat. Jet boats really suck the gas, and it gets tiresome at 95 db of engine noise for hours.

Sometimes it is nice to get a boat on a plane, and the MacGregor can do that with a larger engine. That's something I miss with all the full keel boats I sail.

My suggestion is get her out on a MacGregor. Perhaps the dealer will give you a test run. You'll need to get a boat both of you will be happy with.

Michael
Old 09-16-2012

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
Re: MacGregor 26 vs. ?

How bout I kick this dead horse 1 more time. I found this thread because I'm considering a Mac 26 X or M. I had a 38' Irwin , so I'm used to Elitist nitpicking, but that was a real sailboat I don't care what you say. I got laid off early in this recession, so selling the Irwin helped me weather the storm. Things are better now, I kept my old bass boat, but I can't cut the motor off, hoist the main, hear that "pop" then a quiet whoosh as it catches air, I miss that. Slip rentals, climbing that 50' mast to get the anchor light working again so I can spend the night on the hook, inflating a blow up dingy, because that beautiful CCA transom rules out Davits, or a boarding ladder, aren't missed all that much. A Mac 26 might be something I could use to let the wind push me around again. Just my $.02, Art.
Old 09-18-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

I sailed 1 a few years ago, i'm very sorry if there is any macGregor owners around but it's a poor sailor... The rig is ridiculously small and the boat has way too much windage.
And the water ballast thing scares the hell out of me!

I know a guy who bought one and he says that when the waves get 2 feet hight, it's too rough for him....

Over all, it's a better power boat then a sailboat.

Never sailed on the older MacGregor but they look like better sailors...
Old 09-18-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

Having actually owned one, I can say that I really liked the boat and had some fantastic times on it.

We did lots of small overnighters and weekends both anchoring and marina. Each year we did a week trip all around the area mixing anchoring, marinas and parks.

The list of boats that the sailing elite would claim as unworthy is long and distinguished so there's little point in going there. It's very easy to single hand and requires very little wind to get it going meaning we'd take my boat for light winds.

All sailboats motor an incredible amount - this one just does it fast!

Like all boats, it has tradeoffs and we sold it to buy a bigger boat for more extended cruising.
Old 09-21-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

The only fast Macgregor i have ever seen was when a buddy of mine who owns one call 6 of his 200lbs friends to come sit on the rail no water in the tanks, and sailed it like a laser. She went like hell but the tacks were fast and furious. We all had injuries buy the end of the day it was a blast i would never do again. Thats why they invented Ballast, and rail meat.
Old 09-21-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

I've been to the Mac plant a few times - the fiberglass work is top notch. It is insanely efficient for a sail boat builder, so even though the boats are value engineered to an extreme - I believe one gets good value.

That being said - they are poor sailing vessels.

If you want a trailer sailors that has good sailing qualities - consider a Santana 2023. Only available used
jameswilson29 likes this.