Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2001

Mark47 is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

I own a 2001 26x, I sail and motor it in Alaska Prince William Sound, this boat is perfect for my use and for the area. Currents at
7 knots, and winds never when you need them
Make the mac 26x ideal. My wife and I spend a week at a tine in PWS. We sail for pleasure, motor for safty and time. I fish out of the boat a great deal. The honda 50 motor with 30 gallons of gas gets me about 120 miles
under power crusing at 13 mph.
As far as sailing, I have had the sail up in 20 mph winds with a ginny, leaning about 15 degrees. The the highest speed i have reached
sailing was 9 mph, with full ballast. This was a GPS reading.

We beach the boat, explore beaches and we do not carry a dinghy since the boat has floatation built in. I do have two radios.

Prince William Sound is nothing but bays and
coves, you are never out of site of land.

We load the boat with 1000 lbs of gear, water food fishing gear and clothing and beding. Takes a lot to stay warm in the area
even in the summer.

The boat is not stable in 3 ft seas under power, the nose pitches a lot, I would suggest in heavy weather or 4 adults aboard to fill the ballast, the boat handles better in heavy weather under sail than under power.

For the money, this boat is perfect for my area and my use. All the sailing blue bloods
take two days just getting out of the Valdez arm to get to open water to sail.
Mark47
http://windmusher.com

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2001

daithi is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a Mac Gregor 26x with a 50hp, ive a rib at moment, so i was thinking of combining a bit of sailing with skying, can anyone recommend a better trailer sailer than the mac gregor 26????
Old 11-12-2001

BenDaniels is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

Water skiing behind a Mac 26...perhaps that should be in the brochures, with the sailing portion removed. I''ve noticed in the Puget Sound area that most of these are listed in the newspaper classified ads, not broker listings. Mean anything?
Old 11-13-2001

makerel is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

Is there a MacGregor owners group that you or anyone esle might know about? Thanks

Old 11-21-2001

TStockwell is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

There are a lot of MacGregor user groups.

The first place to check might be www.macgregor-boats.com a site hosted by Bob White and which has links to a lot of other Mac sites.

Secondly, I''d recommend subscribing to Sailnet''s MacGregor List and the MacGregor 26X list. This is a hot email list, with a lot of MacGregor sailors (over 400 I think) who regularly contribute their thoughts.

Thirdly, check out www.moane.com which is the macgregor owners association of new england.

Generally speaking, the response you will get from these owners will be very informative. New or would-be owners are very welcome, and there''s a lot of real knowledge about both sailing and sailing in a water ballasted boat.

Good luck.

Tom Stockwell
tstockwell@andrewscg.com
Old 07-23-2006

tomasrey88 is on a distinguished road
Thinking about buying a Macgregor 26M....

Hi guys,

It seems to me that everyone either hates this boat or loves this boat. The people who love this boat know that it is a limited boat, but love it because it is a good boat for an affordable price. I am not rich, so the price is important.

Here is a summary of the hates and my observations;
1. This is not a very safe boat for open ocean sailing in bad weather. It is too small, does not have a deep lead ballasted keel. You need to spend a lot more money to buy a big yacht with a deep lead ballasted keel.

I find this a perplexing claim since there are people who have sailed in same, similar or lesser boats through rough seas. Buck Graham sailed his classic Macgregor 26 sloop from California, through the Panama Canal, and up to Costa Rica: http://members.tripod.com/~lbucko/index.html . Alberto Torroba sailed across the Pacific in an open dugout canoe carved out of a single log: http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/albertotorroba.htm . He did not use GPS and even did not use a compass! He sailed totally by Celestial navigation using a bob line! he did not even have charts!

2. The Macgregor 26M is too small for a family of 4 to go cruising in. You need a bigger, more expensive yacht.

Again, this is also perplexing since others have LIVED on a 27 foot boat. Adam Jenkins and his family of 4 people and 1 cat lived on a 27 foot boat that they cruise the caribbean with: http://web.archive.org/web/200111181...c97/belize.htm . The Mac 26 lacks refrigeration, but it does have a porta-pottie, battery power, and a stove.

It seems like all the critics are just crticizing others for not spending enough money. Sort of like an owner of a Mercedes criticizing an owner of a Volvo. They're both safe cars that handle well and hold up well to years of use, but the Volvo costs 1/2 as much as a Mercedes. It's the snob factor. However, I could be wrong. So, if you have experience sailing in a Mac 26, I invite you to offer me some advice. I am considering buying a Macgregor 26M. I want to get one fully loaded, but with only a used 8 HP Honda engine. Then, when I save up enough money, I'll buy a 50 HP engine. I will not be buying another boat after this because I cannot afford it.

I do drive a Volvo, by the way.... I've had it for 180K miles and I'm going to continue driving it until they stop making replacement parts for it.

I would like to sail across the Caribbean with my wife aboard a Macgregor 26M. This is my dream.

Thanks,
tomasrey88.

Last edited by tomasrey88; 07-23-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most small boats are more stable under sail, as the sail helps to stabilize the boat. No personal experience with the MacGregor but I know several sailors who love theirs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
ummm, uhhh, how do I put this tactfully....

Jesus, Mary and Joesph, have you lost your mind?

There is no snob factor here, I'd rather arrive alive. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

Yes, I understand that you "can" do a rounder with a Mac26X, Why would you want to? There are people that have done it in a kayak too, I wouldn't be one of those either.

There are any number of boats in the same price range that I would feel much safer on.
No, let me rephrase that... THERE ARE PLENTY OF BOATS IN THAT PRICE RANGE THAT I WOULD BE SAFER ON.

If your concern is trailerability, then fine, go with a 26x if you want, keep it out of winds more than 10kts, or waves more that 3 ft, you'll be fine.
An more than that, tighten your PFD, hope for the best, and be prepared for major damage repair if you get back to the dock.

I know of 3, on ONE lake, that are for sale, because the soon to be former owners thought these were the best thing since sliced white bread and sex with an amputee. One former owner was scared off of the water for good, One has marked his down to 5k less than he paid, and the third has purchased a 1978 Catalina 27, to replace his 1999 26x... does that tell ya anything? Hmmm?
And before I get barked at by Mac lovers, I believe they are good boats for what they do. Just know the limitations.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-24-2006

tomasrey88 is on a distinguished road
What is good for the same price?

Fine, it's a bad boat. But that doesn't help me any. I would like to purchase a blue water trailerable sailboat for under $30 grand loaded and new. I am a newbie and don't know much about boats so I don't want to buy a used boat since I don't know what to look for in terms of potential problems with used boats. That's why I want a new one. I want a trailerable one because marina fees are expensive and I live in a landlocked place, but near several large lakes, plus I don't want to limit myself to just one lake. I would like to practice sailing on a lake extensively before going to the caribbean, but I'd like to sail the same boat in the caribbean that I practiced with.

I also know that a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 is much better than a Macgregor 26. Some Japanese guy sailed his from California to Hawaii. However, the Pacific Seacraft costs almost $100 grand bare. Add assorted equipment to it and it could easily cost $110-120 grand. That's more expensive than my home!!!

So, any suggestions, guys? If the Mac is bad, then, what is good for the same price? Thanks a bunch ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
ummm, uhhh, how do I put this tactfully....

Jesus, Mary and Joesph, have you lost your mind?

There is no snob factor here, I'd rather arrive alive. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

Yes, I understand that you "can" do a rounder with a Mac26X, Why would you want to? There are people that have done it in a kayak too, I wouldn't be one of those either.

There are any number of boats in the same price range that I would feel much safer on.
No, let me rephrase that... THERE ARE PLENTY OF BOATS IN THAT PRICE RANGE THAT I WOULD BE SAFER ON.

If your concern is trailerability, then fine, go with a 26x if you want, keep it out of winds more than 10kts, or waves more that 3 ft, you'll be fine.
An more than that, tighten your PFD, hope for the best, and be prepared for major damage repair if you get back to the dock.

I know of 3, on ONE lake, that are for sale, because the soon to be former owners thought these were the best thing since sliced white bread and sex with an amputee. One former owner was scared off of the water for good, One has marked his down to 5k less than he paid, and the third has purchased a 1978 Catalina 27, to replace his 1999 26x... does that tell ya anything? Hmmm?
And before I get barked at by Mac lovers, I believe they are good boats for what they do. Just know the limitations.
Old 07-24-2006

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 26

There are many, many trailerable sailboats out there and many are much less expensive than the 26. Try a swing keel Catalina 25. Just a look at the Mcgregor rig tells you instantly that this is not a good sailing boat. The rig is the size of most 20 footers. Racing is not the issue. Good sailing performance, particularly in light air is very important unless you really enjoy cranking on that 50 horsepower. There are even several trailable motorsailer out there that truly will sail. You need to decide how important it is to YOU to go faster than 7 knots under power.