Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Tomas....

your requirements... trailerable, blue water capable, and 30k. and oh, by the way, you want it to take you to the caribe as well.... hmmm, good luck, and as they say in texas... "bless your heart"
forget new. period. A used boat, (I'm going to refrain from brand names) will be the only way you'll get all of that in one package... now, I'm not solicting your business, but a Marine Surveyor is how...

"since I don't know what to look for in terms of potential problems with used boats."

now, perhaps a better tact might be to get a "learner" boat now, trailer it around all you want, then, when the time comes, sell her, and get yourself a boat to take to the land of rum.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
I am just looking at this thread for the first time. I try not to be negative in posts and please take my coments with this disclaimer in mind: I have never sailed on a McGregor. But I have seen them in action and have read a lot about them on this and other forums.

My impression is that the general consensus among sailors is that they are powerboats with a mast, not sailboats. If you are truly interested in sailing, steer clear. From what I have heard, they are not at all good boats to learn to sail on. If you are interested in a powerboat with an (extremely limited) sailing option, maybe it is for you. I apologize in advance to those who love them.
Old 07-28-2006
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I have a 1974 MacGregor Venture 21 swingkeel sloop. It's a great little boat that'll do an honest 6 knots upwind heeled 20* in a 10 knot blow and 12+ flying a kite DW in good air. I've had her out in 3' seas and 20+ knots with full sail and four butts on the rail for mucho fun but had to pinch a bit to keep the stick out the water. I bought this boat and trailer for 1 grand. That's how ya learn to sail. If I was gonna upgrade in size in a Mac it'd be to a 26C or D model which are still true sailboats and not Hybrids. While I understand the draw of these boats I'd by a nice SeaRay 29 if I wanted a powerboat. All I can say is learn to sail in a traditional sailboat and then go try one of the 26M-X's. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-20-2006

SlimChestnut is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 26 for shaol water

I own property on a canal that has Winter low tides as low as 1 foot. After much research the Mac 26 is one of the very few boats of any size that works year round. I also like to explore and to occasionaly beach the boat.

Yes the Mac has its shortcomings but it really has immense advantages in some areas. As an engineer I do not find it too challenging to read and follow the instructions to use the water ballast properly!

I have seen many so-called self righting boats capsized even some of the most stable boats built. The sailing experience has much more to do with hours spent enjoying the b oat and water and a ship ran in a "skipperly" fashion rather than fancier brands and more money.

Beleive me, I know the Mac has no snob appeal and is less desirable to some sailors.

I find it amusing that many sailors speak ill of Macgregors and even more interesting when I find they have been out ran by one on a reach!. But I digress. I am a not a "yacht club" sailor and certainly do not have deep pockets. Nothing against Yachting or being in a club but I like to sail and to motor and to fish. My boat is shipshape but NOT spotless and like new. I do not worship at the alter of spotless perfection.

A nice used Mac works well for me and no one could touch the price or all the many extras that already were installed. I also like the fact that I am not helpless to run before a storm if conditions permit rather than battening down and puttering along and waiting for it to hit.

I would love to find a Westerly or some nicer shoal water boat but until I do and can afford it the Mac is an excellent choice.

Credit where credit is due. There are over 6000 Macs. Is that so bothersome? To a purist perhaps.

Slim

Last edited by SlimChestnut; 11-20-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
The difference is you HAVE to run before the storm "rather than battening down and puttering along and waiting for it to hit."
Old 11-21-2006

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
slim, you must have some nasty weather where you sail if you've seen "many" boats capsized. Interestingly i've only seen one boat capsized here and it was a Mac 26X. Jim
Old 11-21-2006

Martin1901 is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking of buying a Mac 26, but where I live the majority for sale are the older 1991ish 26c models. Any thoughts on these? Is the sailability any worse or better than the 26x?
Old 11-24-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I own a 2003 Macgregor 26M and when I first looked at them I thought, "it is not a real sailboat". Now, four seasons sailing later I have discovered that it is just fine. These boats do very well in 20-25 knot winds, (I have not been out in higher winds) and handle big swells easily. The Poo-Pooers just don't have any experience with them. While it is not a blue water capable boat it is certainly ideal for the Pacific Northwest as I sail the Georgia Strait, San Juans, & Gulf Islands regularly in some fairly windy conditions. As far as I am concerned the skipper will fail before the boat does. The Pacific Northwest is no pond and it tends to get very treacherous and makes a good proving ground for the Macgregor. Keep in mind the Macgregor is a price point boat and comes begging for upgrades but that is also one of the benefits since you can outfit it to your own standards. These boats sell more than others for a reason and I have yet to meet an unhappy owner. I will say that I am unhappy with the size and wish I could afford a larger boat but my budget says no way. For what it does the Mac is a fine boat and those who bash it don't really know what they are talking about and you may label them with what ever label fits their mouth. Don't knock one until after you have owned one.
Old 11-24-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Martin1901 re: Mac 26C

I sailed regularly with a friend who had a 1991 Mac 26C on a lake with periodic strong winds--a good sailing lake. The Mac 26 is a good beginner boat--reasonably well designed and built, and very practical and easy to sail. It sailed very well in lighter winds (up to about 10 knots), but in heavier winds (18 - 20 knots) it developed weather helm and would heel alot and round up on its own, so would be quite challenging. As it is a relatively light (water ballasted) boat (I think about 2800 lbs), it was affected by waves over 2 - 3 feet, more than other boats might be. I had a san juan 23 mark II (fin keel, tall rig) which handled the heavier air better than the Macgregor. But I like the Macgregor for regular day sailing or weekends, in moderate winds. From what I have seen, I think the Mac 26C sails better than the 26X.
Hope that helps.
Frank.
Old 11-24-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Puget Sound?

Jiml2p;
After going through this thread I see you will be sailing the Pacific Northwest, Puget Sound. There are literally hundreds of MacGregors in this area and they are very well suited for it. That many owners can't all be wrong. Blue Water Yachts in Seattle is the biggest dealership in the area. Take a Mac out for a test sail and talk to some of the local owners before you take the advice of non-owners here. You will find the duality of the Mac very usefull here due to the strong tidal currents, the 50HP outboard really comes in handy through the passes, no waiting for slack tides with a Mac.
Oh yea, for what it is worth the Pacfic Northwest is one of the worlds premiere sailing locations and if it were not for winters it would be the worlds finest. You can count yourself very fortunate to have it as your sailing grounds.