Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006

mvsunstar is on a distinguished road
Cooper 416

I'm about to purchase a Cooper 416 and would like some more information from anyone who knows. Specifically, is the boat completely hull cored or just above the waterline. The broker I'm dealing with doesn't know.

I'm primarily looking at this boat as a liveaboard. How well does the Cooper 416 perform? Are there any shortcoming I should be aware of?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A couple in our Yacht Club have been living aboard one of these for some time. They have done trips around Vancouver Island without incident, which involves some marginal but potentially rough offshore legs. They seem quite comfortable. This is in the Vancouver BC area, where winters are damp but relatively mild.
Performance wise I think they are not bad considering their bulk and accomodation, certainly a step or two beyond the full keel boat but not up to a typical cruiser racer. Considerable displacement combined with a very heavy single spreader rig is going to make this boat less than a spritely performer.
However that is obviously not the intent - as a liveaboard or long term coastal cruiser I think it would be a good compromise. A 14 foot beam on 42 feet makes for lots of space.
The large house windows would required modifications, I think, for any extended offshore plans.
I have not heard of any serious defects, though the typical blisters and deck leaks will no doubt present, as they may on any boat getting on in age. I can't speak to the coring, but try to find older articles in Pacific Yachting magazine (they may even be posted on their website). These boats were built in the Vancouver area and got some press when introduced. Build details may well be found there.
Old 09-25-2006

mvsunstar is on a distinguished road
Thanks Faster that is some great info - especially the Pacific Yachting. I managed to track down a review with them.

Cheers
Old 04-21-2011

SVEtosha is on a distinguished road
Cooper 416

I to am looking to purchase a Cooper 412 & would appreciate any info on them. How do they perform, what is the storage like, does the internal steering position get used or it a waste of space etc.

Also if someone has one for sale I would be interested in hearing from them.
Old 05-05-2011

svFolieADeux is on a distinguished road
I've owned a Cooper 416 since 1989 and would be happy to answer your questions. To answer the original question: the hull is not completely cored, but I couldn't tell you exactly where it goes from cored to solid. The hull coring (at least in my boat) as I recall is Klegecell, while the deck and pilothouse are balsa cored. We do not have the inside steering station. The original owner (the boat is an '84) had previously owned pilothouses and in his opinion the inside steering station was useless. Due to the interior height and the placement of the forward windows you would need a fairly high interior helm seat in order to have any visibility. If I ever get a "real" autopilot, though, I'll set up a remote at what would have been the inside steering station.

Our boat performs pretty well considering its beam, although it is very sensitive to bottom growth.

As far as storage is concerned, it will depend on the boat. It seems that the factory (at least in the '84 time frame) was willing to make extensive changes to accommodate the buyer's wishes. I understand that normally the 416 had a pilot berth to port at the companionway. Instead I have a large portside cockpit locker, and then below a large hanging locker, a set of drawers roughly 20" wide from cabin sole to pilothouse windows, and then a 20" wide locker that was used for.... a clothes washer. We never used it and removed it, leaving a 36" x 30" x 18" space just waiting to be filled with something. Eating up some storage space is a 40 gallon water tank under the v-berth and a 30 gallon holding tank under the settee at the table. The main water tank and fuel tank are installed below the cabin sole against the hull.

I noticed in another thread someone mentioning that the 416 has a single spreader rig. As you can see in the photo, that's not the case on my boat.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Cooper 416-lagoon-pond1.jpg   Cooper 416-lagoon-pond2.jpg  
Old 05-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Your boat looks great! Must be a rarity on the East Coast...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-06-2011

svFolieADeux is on a distinguished road
Thanks! The original owner lived in the Pacific Northwest and brought the boat through the Panama Canal to Florida. We bought her in Ft. Lauderdale and sailed her up to Rhode Island. This was in 1989, and since then we've seen 1 Cooper 353 (in Cuttyhunk, MA to be specific) and that's it.
Old 05-08-2011

SVEtosha is on a distinguished road
Hi Doug,

Thanks for reply. Having owned a 416 since 89 you must be very happy with her?

I would appreciate your feedback on the following if that is possible.

I like the pilothouse look but am not sure if the windows are to big. As I will be doing a lot of bluewater sailing in the south pacific & southern areas of Australia I will encounter big seas. Do you think the windows are up to it?

Where do you keep your propane tanks?

I was under the impression that Cooper sold the molds to Bayliner in 81 after a fire at the factory & from that date the Cooper 416 was made with the name US42. Is this correct or is yours a genuine Cooper 416 which goes against the reviews I have read?

Yes, some have single & others twin spreaders. Which is the same with the bbackstay. Does your 416 have a single or twin backstay?

Others have said that the tanks can split & then big problems to fix them. Have you encountered this problem & if so what was your problem & how did you fix it?

As I will be doing extended cruising, do you think your water & fuel tankage is surficient? I am thinking that more water would be good. I noticed uyou have extra water in the v-berth. Is there other areas where another water tank could be placed?

The other choice is to install a water maker. Is there room for this to be done?

The photos of your 416 show her a a very lovely yacht, congrats. I do not see any solar panels or wind genny. What & how many batteries do you have & what do you use for charging them up?

You mentioned growth on the hull. Is this due to the beam?

I am 6' 3'' tallso am wondering what sort of headroom do you have in the fwd cabin, head, saloon, galley area & the aft cabin?

Is the chain locker very big? How much chain/warp do you carry there?

Sure to have other questions but wont bother you with them all at once.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Tony.
Old 05-08-2011
Just another Moderator

Etosha

They've owned her since '89; she was not necessarily new then. Whether marine growth is an issue will have little to do with the design and all to do with the paint used and the waters she lives in. All boats will be slowed by such growth, of course.

FWIW I believe that most owners going offshore with these boats will have taken storm protection measures for those largish portlights.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-08-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2011

DDabs is on a distinguished road
sweet boat