Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
Nobody has mentioned it but I'd be reading on sailing/seamanship for couples, read about others mistakes before making your own, go to some sailing schools singly and as a couple, a school could help your wife a lot. You are in a great area to be looking for boats, dont get hung up on local, as you can see a couple hundred miles north or south can show you a lot more then you have local which is a lot. You can probably find a course or two down Fla way for a winter excursion and give you both time to think things over, myself in your shoes I think I'd be looking for a 34-35' boat, more amenities, and able to do more sailing in. But thats me. Not you. Make a list of what each of you wants in a boat and then make it into one list. Maybe do this after the courses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2006

kavakava is on a distinguished road
We too started small - Seafarer 22, Catalina 27, Gulfstar 36, and now our retirement boat, a Hunter 41. We sail the Chesapeake and hope to cruise down the ICW and spend next winter in the Keys and Bahamas. I agree with the other comments, and wives (mine especially) are especially cognizant of the sleeping accomodations, head and shower, and galley. We like the Hunter design for ease of coastal sailing, all lines led aft, fractional jib, large cockpit, good galley and head, reasonable price, and generous sleeping cabin. We used Bill Yates of Adventure Yachts in Annapolis to find our last boat, and he was extremely knowledgable and patient. He's a livaboard cruiser.
Old 11-04-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I would suggest not to go smaller than 30', the bay can get ugly quick. On the other hand if you go over 35-40' you may find it very expensive and difficult to find a slip. Annapolis area marinas are outrageous, call a few and you'll see. Be weary of marinas that seem to good to be true.

One thing you definitely want to consider is draft, one of the main reasons we selected the centerboard configuration on our boat (4' board up). The average depth of the bay is about 5', if you enjoy gunk-holing you'll want to keep the draft under 5' if you really want to get into some of the prettiest and peaceful coves on the bay.

Otherwise, pick the one you fall in love with. We almost purchased a Pearson 30 (a great boat) that was considerably less, but when we saw the Tartan 37 we couldn't look at anything else. It just felt right!

Send me a email if you like.
Old 11-04-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
I agree with NCountry - your major disadvanage is time - i can only tell you what i did but it parells a lot of what NC talked about - At age 55 i took up sailing - a sig other who is about your wifes size and i took 3 ASA sailing course together as the captain/instructor will make you work as a team and not one issuing orders to the other - second i chartered a few times to try various size boats - third i did a lot of reading and studying on boats and what i wanted in a boat - fourth i spent a lot of time a boat shows asking question and learning about boats and brokers - fifth i did find an experienced former cruiser who took time to help me learn even more about boats and this person was also an owner of a boat dealership - he did not pressure me to buy a boat until we both understood what i wanted and then worked to find it - it took 2+ years before i bought my boat and i bought a 40' - now at age 60 and sig other taking off with a new friend i can still sail my 40' single handed as i had her set up for ease of handling for the smallest person on board - my boat by the way is a Jeanneau DS40 and i plan to sail both the east coast, bahamas and coastal central america - good luck
just my thoughts and what worked for me
chuck and soulmates
Old 11-04-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
i forgot one thing - i sail her a lot as boat are like women - each is different and want to be treated different - the boat and i are getting to know each other and sailing much better - how do i measure - i belong to a local sailing club that has once a month nothing serious fun races and when i first started i could finish maybe - now i place and even the old experienced sailors (may with major racing creditials) have commented to me how much my sailing has improved over the years - but again i sail 3 weeks out of 4 early on and now 3 out of 5 -
so once you get a boat sail her a lot - it is not like driving a car in that all are about the same - each boat has a it's own likes and dislikes and you can only find them by sailing her
chuck and soulmates
Old 11-05-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
I have been reading Steve and Linda Dashews The Circumnavigators Handbook this weekend, crammed with good stuff,its one thats going to take a couple readings, but one thing he has said, several times is that racing is the most concentrated way to gain experience in sailing that there is. And to teach how to become one with your boat. And he backs it up with a lot of experienced explanations. Something to think about.

Some parallels to horse back riding. An old Indian proverb is Ride your horse every day, and in a year both will know the others heart. Makes sense.
Old 11-05-2006

42ndstreet is on a distinguished road
I agree with Camaradie...Big is easy to sail. My first bareboat was with a 463 beneteau. 7 people(most non-sailors) on board. What a great trip!
Get your wife on the helm.