Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006

surf_n_turf is on a distinguished road
A Little Direction

Over the last year and a half, I have put in some time on the water, including take ASA classes 101, 103, and 104 (105/6 scheduled for next month - weather permiting). I have capt'd and crewed several different types of boats in my breif career, but need some help in narrowing down my search. Was hoping I could get a few suggestions (and reading the forums I already have a small list) of boats at which to look.

Let's start with a little about me:
+ Early 30's.
+ Lots of time to travel / work on boat.
+ Very Handy (Construction, Mechanical, Electrician)
+ Enjoy Simple, and Practical Things.
+ Decent Shape, Willing to Learn, and Realistic (sometimes)
+ Have significant other (most of the above apply there)

General ideas on the boat I am looking for: (In order of importance)
+ First Boat
+ 26' to 36' (I am not needy and would prefer closer to 28')
+ approximately $15K (I would like closer to 10K, but could go 20K)
+ Might live-aboard for a month or so at a time
+ Sailing SF Bay (Mainly)
+ Sailing to Santa Cruz, CA from SF Bay (Assuming proper skill level)
## These next two are more of a pipe dream, and given the above
## probably not possible, but if I can fit it in the budget...
+ Mexico (Dependent more on skills than boat)
+ Beyond (Dependent more on skills but also boat)

Following is a list of features I would like to see: (IN order of importance)
## As you will see, some of these are very significant other influenced
+ Inboard engine
+ Wheel Steering
+ Lines-to-Aft
+ Marine Head (holding tank, y-valve, etc)
+ Double Aft-Berth
+ Pressurized Water
+ Propane Stove / BBQ
+ Jib Roller

And finally, a request for some thoughts on the following (given the above).

Keel type? (I have sailed several types and have yet to develop a favorite)

Speed vs. Stability vs. Comfort (interior and cockpit) vs. Ride ? I know they all trade off. If I had to rate in order of what I feel is important given my knowledge and lifestyle I would like a STABLE, SMOOTH RIDE, that has DECENT ROOM, and WILL GET ME THERE. I know that speed can help get you out of trouble, but I am hoping that given my lifestyle that tying up and drinking until the weather clears will be more my game plan...

$$$ vs. Do-It-Yourself (cosmetics, and none-structural stuff) - I don't mind doing the work, but am I niave to assume that I am actaully saving money on stuff like re-doing my own cushions, electrical stuff, brightwork, etc.

Hardiness vs. Size vs. Cost - I think I would prefer a better constructed small boat, than a larger paper boat.

So, if you could please take some time to let me know if I am on the right track or not, and if you can think of a suitable list of "Hey try these on for size" boats I would appreciate it.

Better yet! If you have anything for sale, know of anything for sale, or would like to take me on a ride of something I should look at, I am sure I could work out a bottle of good wine, some beers, or a nice meal for your effort.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Per similar posts, for SF definately look for a stiff boat, My suggestions would be C&C 30 I, Tartan 30, then Catalina 30. The C&Cs generally came configured with a wheel and they are great high breeze boats.
Old 09-26-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'd suggest a Pearson 28-2, but I doubt you'd find one in your area.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Neither the C&C or Tartan has the double aft you are looking for so I would suggest the Catalina30 would be a good choice. Your post was great and knowing exactly what is important to you in a boat bodes well for a good decision ahead! With your budget I wouldn't expect to find everything you are looking for in a boat. For example...most of the 30 footers in the era you will be shoppping in...did not have propane or pressurized water and wheel steering will be less prevalent under 30'. The Catalina is a very liveable boat and easily upgraded to meet your specs. While it is not a bluewater boat...if you wait for weather in the bar, it will take you everywhere you want to go. (Note..I would get one with the short rig and deep keel for your waters)
Old 09-26-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
Your post is perfect. I am looking for almost exactly the same boat and fully intend to hitchike. I looked at a Cal 34 MK II this weekend. It may be out of your price range actually, but had the double quarter berths and should be cool for some bluewater. The one we looked at was upgraded to holding tank, but the rest should all fit in with your specs.
Old 09-26-2006

surf_n_turf is on a distinguished road
I may have lead people astray with the "Double Aft Berth" - I wasn't looking for 2 single berths... I was looking for ONE Double Sized Berth in the AFT.

Sorry for the poor confusion, thanks for all the help.
Old 09-26-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Check the current thread by Hamiam - he is selling a boat that fits your criteria at what I expect will be a really good price - it will, however need to have the engine rebuilt/replaced. You say you are mechanically inclined so there could be a great potential for everyone to win.
Unfortunately it is in the NY area, but for the right deal there are highways between you two. I own a sistership and can provide more info if you want to PM me -(come to think of it there was one listed in the SF area last Fall - search for a FAST 345)
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An Alberg 30 might also be a good choice... I'm not sure if they have wheel steering or tiller...

I'd reserve about 15-25% of your total budget for upgrades, re-fitting and repairs to any boat you may purchase. I'd also recommend that you get a good survey done of any boat you are serious about.

Lines led aft is often an option, and something you can add yourself pretty easily, given your skill set description. Roller furling is pretty common on most boats nowadays, and often on even many older boats. Tillers are still the norm on most smaller boats, so a boat that is 30-35' is probably a better choice if you require wheel steering.

BTW, the proper description would have been looking for an "aft double berth".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.