Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2001

wbk728 is on a distinguished road
Thinking of buying

I took my first sailing lessons this past summer and I loved it. So of course I am looking to purchase a boat for next summer. I have found a 1978 Hunter 25 that is suppose to be in great shape. However, I have no idea how to determine whether this boat is worth the asking price or if it is a good starter boat. Does anyone have any recommendations (books, web sites etc.) as to how I can learn more about sailboats in general and this boat in particular. We learned to sail on Vangaurd 420s and much of the terminology on Sailnet.com seems to be focused on larger boats and is very new to me.

Any info would be much appreciated, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2001

dpierce is on a distinguished road
Thinking of buying

http://www.yachtworld.com/

http://www.hunterowners.com/

Try these websites. You can get a good idea of asking prices on the Yachtworld site, , and the Hunter owner’s site will give you all kinds of info about any Hunter model. Also, check Amazon.com for books on sailing. They have more titles than you could ever want.
Old 10-04-2001

paulk is on a distinguished road
Thinking of buying

Another good source of information is Practical Sailor''s Used Boat Buyer''s Guide. It gives a good overview of things to look for, and analyzes a wide range of different manufacturers''boats from about 20'' to 60''. I loaned my copy out to a neighbor, or might have looked up what they say about various Hunter models.
Old 09-26-2011

Razorc195 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone. I have some expirence with sailing, had a 42ft wooden boat back in the late 70's to early 80's out in So.Cal.USA. Now that retirement is looming....Looking for a good modern boat suitable for exploring the Bahamas,Med, North Sea areas(summers, I don't do frozen).... and seeing the world in general..... Would be live aboard, mainly the wife and me, with maybe another couple for long crossings, and occational visits from the kids... thinking of something in the 50ft+ range, don't want to spend a mint, but can afford above avg.... Soliciting expirence based suggestions on types of keel designs (not interested in racing), engine size, tankage, rigging, inmast furling, electrical, mechanical equipment....We like to dive and explore some out of the way places, you know the usual dreams.... I like the idea of fiberglass vs. wood or steel. Been down the wood path, and want to avoid the hassle's.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, yeah, anybody want a really nice fully restored lowtime airframe cessna 195....

Last edited by Razorc195; 09-26-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Razor

Welcome to Sailnet.

You would be best to start a new thread as many would not read beyond the first post which is 10 years old.
Old 09-26-2011

Razorc195 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks Brian...will do that....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.